Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melted regulators on Mboards

• 16-07-2003 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I have 2 motherboards, Athlon and a Pentium 3. Both were vertically mounted. The PC's were left on 24/7 in a centrally heated room. In each case two of the power regulators got so hot that they partially floated off the mounting pads and disconnected. Is it worth desoldering them completely off the pads using a large! iron and remounting or should i just bin both boards? AHA. Anyone else come across this before? I suspect wimpy PSU's in both cases contributed to the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Central heated room? Please tell me you mean Air conditioning and not a frickin hot press!!

Computers dont do too well in Sauna's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Firstly, let me stress that these were not my own PC's. I asked as I hadn't come across such severe cases before ( > 20 yrs exp). I replaced both boards anyway.
    The PC's were kept in a boxroom and the guy had the house heat on pretty much all the time !!. Also the second PC was a Pentium 4 not 2.

Just curious if anyone else seen this before.

Advertisement