Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercury Fillings

• 16-07-2003 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me anything regarding the problems associated with these silver fillings? I have about 5, and while I don't want to delve into anything personal as some people know me on this board, I will say I have more than my fair share of health problems. I don't know if they are linked , but from any reading I've done on them, a familiar picture gets painted.
    Apparently nothing has been proven yet, and some dentists are still using them, so I'm not sure if it's common to request their removal. I will ****in get them out if I have to plyer the ****ers though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Best thing to do is ask your GP - they can do a quick blood test to determine the level of mercury in the blood and see whether it is enough to cause side effect.

I have heard of close friends of mine suffering from problems, which they related to their filings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

i have a load of these and my dentist wont replace them with the white ones cos I grind my teeth and he said I'd wear them away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Mercury is a Cumullative poisin it just builds up qnd up so I would seriously try to get the, removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

*only* a hatter would suggest a link between Mercury and madness*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Typedef
    *only* a hatter would suggest a link between Mercury and madness*

Indeed its not fair for people to keep saying that merc chap is mad.

He's just miss understood or something.

Possibly an awful tosser to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

If fillings are silver in colour (ie not white) does that mean they are mercury? (or is there another silver metal used for fillings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

How would I go about getting the blood test to see how much mercury is in my system? Do I go to a hospital, a private doctor, or can I buy a test kit?(!) The reason this has come to my attention really is cos I broke one of my teeth the other day and the metal is sticking out against my tongue now, and I get a constant taste of metal when I'm eating but not when I'm not. Supposedly when you chew or whatever the mercury levels go up by 15%. Not sure what to make of this. Should I see a dentist to be on the safe side?($$!), or wait for a few weeks to get the lot taken out( fillings that is.) Does anyone have a mate thats a dentist or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by curadh
    The reason this has come to my attention really is cos I broke one of my teeth the other day ... Should I see a dentist to be on the safe side?($$!),
    Do, if nothing else you could end up having the tooth further damage as part is missing and not giving support. If you are paying PRSI a check up is free (you may have to pay a small fee for a filling).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

just read this on the web wrt removing old mercury fillings

"You should also be aware that unless a tooth is isolated with a rubber dam during restoration removal, and high volume evacuation with water spray also used, more mercury will be ingested that can possibly happen with years of wear with normal chewing. "

Advertisement