Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!

• 16-07-2003 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Ive been trying to install Win98se on a friends computer. Format and partioned the HDD and when i typed "setup d:" it started to tell me:

Windows Setup requires 7340032 bytes available on your C: Drive.

The Hdd is 2GB in size and have 256Mb RAM.

Any help would be much appricated...
    :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

If u start up with a win98 startup disk with cdrom support, and have a 2GB partition, then go into the e: drive and type "setup" (only) and press enter, no "setup d:" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

Thanks Calman but I've just tried that and I'm still receiving the same message:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think it is something to do with it finding files on the harddisk. When you begin some Win98 installations, it copies some files to the hard disk. When you then begin the installation of an OEM version (I think), it finds files on the hard drive over a certain size, and refuses to install the OS. I would suggest using a boot disk that copies the above files to a temporary Ram Disk.

I am basing this on something I had to do 4 or so years ago so I might be a bit off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

I think if u bootup with the win98 startup disk, run fdisk, and make sure that the 2GB partition is active, also it wouldn't hurt to look at the partition info to double check it.

I'll give it a go. You've lost me when you said: "I would suggest using a boot disk that copies the above files to a temporary Ram Disk." I'm pretty new to all this so i'm afraid you might need to dumb it down a little:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What a silly little boy I can be sometimes..:rolleyes:
    I forgot to format after setting the partition.

Thanks all:D

Advertisement