Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

on-line gaming and ping peaks

Options
  • 16-07-2003 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I played some MOH last night… again :D and what really frustrated was the ping peaks.

I’d be running around and all would be at 50 and could see loads of guys and then we I went in close for the kill :ninja: the ping shoots up to 200… :eek: no money for guessing what happened next, the Duke got done :mad:.

What I am trying to understand is why does this happen:confused: . It seems to be an ailment when getting up close - could it even be that my machine is struggling – it’s a decent machine but I like a bit of eye candy so it may be up to high a bit which works 98% time but not when face to face.

I’d be delighted for some one to educate me on this crucial matter :).

The Duke : ))

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If you post your connection type and system spec we may be of assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah i would have the same problem with my connection(a 56k modem of which i get 31.2kbps:(, and my comp is a P4 dell dimeninsion 256mb RAM, 1.9ghz, geforce 2 mx) being very unreliable. Sometimes, it just shoots up to really high pings, and then after a bit it goes abck to normal. Sometimes its like that for 2 long so i have leave cuz it gets unplayable. its fair annoying?? So does anybody know what casue these spikes??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Guys just as a matter of interest, are you on any of ESATS internet products, because thats part and parcel for some people, as of now I cant play any bf at all, any servers I go into it just pings me out straight away.

Near as i can tell its a monthly cycle thing, i have perfect pings at the end of the cycle, then 2 weeks after that it happens all over again, happend on netsmart and now anytime.

Why in the world this happens i dunno

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

ping spikes are usually caused by faulty routing arent they or a 'spiked' increase in load that the network is dealing with.

More often than not i blame the server itself (doesnt seem to be the case for u) or the routing.

What you should do is run a few tracerts to the server, this will allow you to see if there is a particular node spiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Its the fact that the connection is being overloaded.
    What connection do you have.
    For MOH try typing rate and then a number to correspond to your connection speed.

MODEM "rate 4000"
    IDSN "rate 8000" (or 15000 if you have dual)
    CABLE/DSL "rate 50000"

That might help.
    (it might be cl_rate in moh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

sorry, was out for a bit... thanks for all the replys.

As for my system, I have a DELL dimension P4 1.8GHrz 256MB with a GeForce 2.... as of this evening it will be a 768MB and a GeForce FX Ultra 128MB .... har har harrr :cool: ... just got my KOMPLETT.IE delivery... :D

As for the connection I use ISDN connecting to Oceanfree with single line 64k - I never bundle as in the IReland off line forum I was told that this was a waste as none of the servers provide a 128kb back bone anyhow.

I use the ASE to search for games (again the guys in ireland off-line helped me out there) which is the absolute best game searcher arround).

As I said, I can get to play games at 50 and realy kick but as one of you commented what realy gets my goat is if you sneak arround in MOH (i've put walk on my left mouse button just to prove that I am really into it) then come up behind some one and start emptinyg my clip and before I know he's swing arround and I am choking on Stg44 Kurz Patronen (he, he... know my stuff) that really sucks...

Anyhow... let's hope we find a solution..

Have you tried changing your rates?

sorry Giblet, what do you mean withe rate...

Also, I stuck in my GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 256MB and the 512MB DRR 233MHz upgrade and played MOH at 100% settings and it just runs like a knife through butter.... :cool:

Hasn't added much to the game play but it's just the movement is incredibliy reactive and smothe.. :p it still amazes me how much of a game actually runs on the graphics card...

Anyhow, still doens't fix the ping peak issue.

try a different isp...and the eircom 'free' pay per minutie one lets you do 128k...128k wont affect your ping tho just your download speeds.

hi B-K-DzR ... this brings us back to who is the best ISP. :confused:

I use Oceanfree as the guys in ireland off-line said this was the best one (this was last year some time when I was having real problems at pings of arround 250, thanks to GameSpy :rolleyes:).

I could got 128kb but that doubles the cost (and I already run up about 40 yoyos every month on late night sessions) :( .

If I am mainly playing on UK servers are there any service providers that have a huge pipe line into those places - or is it just a gamble and you don't know till you play :confused: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Sounds like a rates setting to me. this happened all the time in Q2 long ago where those damned ISDN'ers set their rate real high and modemers would freeze for a split second of you got near them.

The Eircom one aint too bad, used it for a while. Am using the netsource one now (got it when back when they were clubi tho).
    Its a sub one but i hardly ever get spikes or pl or anything, tis very nice :) (prob because next to no one used it :) )

Esat one is supposed to be good (ie the flat rate one) most of the time.

thanks B-K-DzR ...

not too sure if this is relevant but I in Co. Cork (About 30 mins from the centre)

Is there any difference between Dublin and Cork infrastructure/ISP's, etc?

I'll try the other ISP's none the less and see how I get on... will elt you know.

no idea if theres a difference.
    After saying above that my netsource one never spiked i got terrible ones yesterday. Typical. Had to switch to oceanfree :p

dont think my tdm trial suffered tho ;)

(isp's should be similar performance as long as the exchange and the route back to the isp is ok, as far as i know anyway :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by shinzon
    Guys just as a matter of interest, are you on any of ESATS internet products, because thats part and parcel for some people, as of now I cant play any bf at all, any servers I go into it just pings me out straight away.

Near as i can tell its a monthly cycle thing, i have perfect pings at the end of the cycle, then 2 weeks after that it happens all over again, happend on netsmart and now anytime.

Why in the world this happens i dunno

Regards

Shin

well maybe that its so cuz i'm iol surf nolimits. I remeber awhile back it didn't used to happen at all and now occaisonal ask u said it goes really bad. I'm a 56ker but i on;y get 31.2kbps, so what rate do u suggest i set it to?

3500 Suppafly.

TheDuke, go into the console when in the game and type '/rate 8000' without quotes, or 'cl_rate 8000'
    Or even better, send me your config, and i'll mess with some settings...

only stupid question on my part is ... where do I find what settings :o

This is clearly an in game thing- does ASE override anything cause it set some properties in that. And what exactly does it do.. never really grapsed it ...

I play allot of MOH so I prosume these are Quake engine settings :confused:

I am just not that bright :(:( :rolleyes: ... so please be patient.

Advertisement