Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seamus brennan

Options
  • 16-07-2003 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

is it just me or does he just seem to talk the talk but not walk the walk

we constantly seem to hear about good ideas he is proposing or considering e.g. infrastructure bill, metric speed signs can anyone update me on these two topics the only things i could find on the net was when they were first proposed no latest news on them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Brennan seems to suffer from Maryhanafinitis - it's a little-known disease that causes the sufferer to do absolutely nothing. Worse, Mary probably knows she's pretty useless as she never says anything. Seamus Brennan seems to delight in having a press release twice every three days knowing that he can't deliver. You could blame someone else but the bottom line is that he's promising things that he can't deliver. Obviously he's got a few years left but I'm keeping a list and it's not looking too hopeful at all.

Brennan's pronouncements often make sense but like you I've yet to see him do anything about most of them. Which is unfortunate because I regarded him as the competent one for about a month (I even said so over on the Motors forum). I'm fast beginning to regard the guy as the kind of chap who'll dangle sweets in front of his children knowing that the bag is empty.

The metric signs issue is due to be starting next year by the way so he's not technically late on this one yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by rcunning03
    we constantly seem to hear about good ideas he is proposing or considering e.g. infrastructure bill, metric speed signs can anyone update me on these two topics the only things i could find on the net was when they were first proposed no latest news on them
    Another thing yet to complete is the break up of Aer Rianta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Famous Seamus is doing okay (by local standards)
    the metric raod signs issue will be dealt with within a year and speed limits ammended to reflect the change. Aer Rianta will be broken up I'm sure. Dublin Bus will have to give up 25% of thier routes too, I think he's on a mission but unlike say Mary O'Roarke
    I think he'll see the changes through. Of course he'll need backing from his boss...hmmm!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Don't think he's done that bad so far. He's the first minister ever to stand up to Aer Rianta and looks to be in much the same mood with CIE. He also seems quite happy to ask awkward questions before shelling out vast amounts of our cash to on large projects. If he manages to achieve 10% of the stuff he's working on he'll already be outrageously successful compared to Mary O'Rourke before him

Originally posted by Occidental
    If he manages to achieve 10% of the stuff he's working on he'll already be outrageously successful compared to Mary O'Rourke before him
    Though that is not saying much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Do people think politicians have a magic wand or something? Like they can make things happen just like that?!
    When Tiny Brennan says that he's going to bring about the restructuring of Aer Rianta, CIE and others, don't expect it to happen over night. Or even within a year. Give it a couple of years to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

There are so many people from Cork going to Dublin to get a plane to the UK. This is absurd.

I think that Aer Rianta & CIE need competition. There is no place in Ireland of 2003 for bloated state companies.
    It is about time flight were available from the regions.

Private Bus operators need be be intoduced to provide competion to CIE. It is amazing Irish trade unions are coming out defending state monopolys.

Seamus Brennan also brought in penelty points - a much needed development.

I think he is pretty effective & capable. The above points point to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cork,
    I think that Aer Rianta & CIE need competition. There is no place in Ireland of 2003 for bloated state companies.
    It is about time flight were available from the regions.
    Private Bus operators need be be intoduced to provide competion to CIE. It is amazing Irish trade unions are coming out defending state monopolys.
    You're sounding like you never heard of Thatcher and privitisation in the UK and the mess it left them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by PH01
    Do people think politicians have a magic wand or something? ... Give it a couple of years to see what happens.
    Yeah, guys, they have only had six years in government, don't expect everything overnight :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Cork
    Seamus Brennan also brought in penelty points - a much needed development.
    And road deaths have only increased by 16% (100 -v- 86) in the last 3 months compared to the same period last year. :rolleyes:

As Mary Harney says "shop around", so at the next election shop around people.

Originally posted by Sparks
    You're sounding like you never heard of Thatcher and privitisation in the UK and the mess it left them in.
    The problem with a lot of privatisations in Britain was that no provision for competition was considered. Companies that were privatised did make cuts in staff levels, but this was simply to boost profits that could be extracted. Very little benefit was passed on to the consumer as a result of privatising.

London busses are now private, but they don't compete with each other. Each company is assigned a set of routes. There is no oppertunity to 'shop around' that might lead to lower prices.

Similarly with the various water companies around the country. There is no way to change your supplier of water. Where is the competitive force to maintain quality and keep costs down?

• Advertisement

Which is the problem we face in Ireland as well Skeptic. Our market is simply too small to be economical for commercial companies to provide fundamental services to. For example, who's going to compete with the ESB or Eircom? The cost of installing another fixed line network would prevent profit-making for decades.
    Likewise with trains - who can afford to build another rail network?
    Buses, maybe, but I don't think it'd work too well. There is some competition out around bray/greystones, but only because the dublin bus service out here is so shabby. And it's a small operation that runs one route with two or three buses - hardly an argument for privitisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As I said in this thread A man of many soundbytes and press releases, but has in fact done fúck all.

The break-up of CIE, the launch of Luas, clearing the Driving Test backlog (caused by of his own actions too), launch of new motorway schemes, regulation of taxis, extension of penalty points and the metrication of speed road signs are just someof the "initiatives" Minister Brennan has run up flagpoles but not saluted.

Still keeping tabs, and adding to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Seamus Brennan is a thoroughly disagreeable chap.

Best I say no more lest it become nominally libellous. Not to say that what might be said wouldn't be true, but that a well paid legal team might have fun demanding that your assertions be proven beyond reasonable doubt

Bah.

There is important philosophy in "Compete on service, not on infrastructure." Hence two canals to the Shannon and the 2 railways to the Shannon was wrong and all of them suffered.
    Originally posted by SkepticOne
    The problem with a lot of privatisations in Britain was that no provision for competition was considered.
    Actually, with busses there was an absolute free-for-all with companies cherry-picking the best (profit margin) routes.
    London busses are now private, but they don't compete with each other.
    Individual services shouldn't compete with each other directly. Different companies should compete with each other in a regulated market, e.g. the number 10 route would be tendered to say 6 companies with a fixed schedule (with an option for costed revisions) and fixed fares (to rise in line with all the fares in market) and set service and safety standards. The companies then compete on the cost of supplying the service by either asking for a subsidy or offering a franchise fee. It will be the company that can keep down costs, while offering the set standards that will win in the long run.
    There is no oppertunity to 'shop around' that might lead to lower prices.
    Yes there is, the regulator will be able to shop around on the consumer's behalf. Alternatively premium services can be offered (like Aircoach in Dublin or the Heathrow express) on a different pricescale.
    Similarly with the various water companies around the country. There is no way to change your supplier of water. Where is the competitive force to maintain quality and keep costs down?
    Yes, you can. The ESB in the Dublin Docks now takes it's cooling water, not from the City Council, but from the private operator of the sewage works. On a much smaller scale, you can now shop around for a telephone service (quality is a whole different argument) and will soon be able to do so with gas and electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Victor
    Yeah, guys, they have only had six years in government, don't expect everything overnight :rolleyes: And road deaths have only increased by 16% (100 -v- 86) in the last 3 months compared to the same period last year. :rolleyes:

We're talking about Seamus Brennan NOT the government Victor, Brennan spent the first 5 years as the gov whip. He did
    a good job in that role that the public never think about.

Road deaths are down and the reason they're not down more is due to lack of enforcement, something the Minister For Transport has no jurisdiction over.

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Road deaths are down
    Actually they are back UP.
    Year		Mar	Apr	May	Jun	Total
    % year ave	29 	 35 	 29 	 33	126
    2002		34	 32 	 20 	 34 	120
    2003		33	 25 	 38 	 37 	133

Of course we do have a National Safety Council who drove to a motorway opening and attended the free bar :rolleyes:

Cork,

I would also state that Irish trade unions were not exactly opposed to the privatisation of Eircom. Was Dick Spring not on the boardof Eircom?

What Mr. Brennan has suggested is that Aer Rinata will be split up into 3 boards. This is not privatisation.

He has also suggested that private companies get 25% of Dublin's Bus routes. What is wrong with competion?

Why should people from Cork to to Dublin to get flights to the UK? I think Ryanair could effectively use one of these airports as a hb for UK or European destinations.

I would also state that Irish trade unions were not exactly opposed to the privatisation of Eircom. Was Dick Spring not on the boardof Eircom?
    The word you're looking for is b-r-i-b-e cork...
    What Mr. Brennan has suggested is that Aer Rinata will be split up into 3 boards. This is not privatisation.
    He has also suggested that private companies get 25% of Dublin's Bus routes. What is wrong with competion?
    So he's splitting up a state body and introducing competition. And this isn't privitisation because...?
    Why should people from Cork to to Dublin to get flights to the UK? I think Ryanair could effectively use one of these airports as a hb for UK or European destinations.
    Indeed, and good luck to them. But while it's possible to have competition with airlines in Ireland, it's a bit silly to have it with airports - otherwise you get the fun and games in EIWF over the past year or two.

So he's splitting up a state body and introducing competition. And this isn't privitisation because...?

Because by introducing 3 independant boards - he will make the 3 airports compete aganist each other.

If he wanted to privatise selling off Aer Rianta as a monopoly would fetch more money.

Aer Rianta would be more valuable as a single unit. But by introducing competition - Mr. brennan has singled that privatision is not on the agenda but competion is.

I would applaud him on the whole Aer Rianta issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cork this is one of the most absurd comments you have made in ages.
    Because by introducing 3 independant boards - he will make the 3 airports compete aganist each other.

If you live in Dublin you fly from Dublin, if you live in Cork you fly from Cork, if you live in Limerick you fly from Shannon. THERE IS NO COMPETITION THERE :rolleyes:

The major thing is this Cork like it or not Cork & Shannon are subsidised by Dublin, the EU will probably go ape**** if the current plan of landing Dublin with the debts of the Cork and Shannon upgrade when the split occurs so that may not happen. What could concievebly happen is the new airports will go out of business then you will no choice but to travel to Dublin or the taxpayer will have to bail out the "other" airports at the expense of health and education funding.

This is this pathetic little country in a eggshell we sort out problems that don't exist and leave the ones that need sorting on the long finger.

CIE is a different matter yes they need to sort out competition there because CIE are a disgrace and not providing a service to meet the transportation needs of the public. But given the crowd in power at the moment it will be boached as well.

Competition me ar$e we live in Ireland.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

new airports will go out of business

Knock, Kerry & Waterford Airports have not gone out of business. Countless people go up from Cork & the Mid-West to get flights from Dublin.

Why?

Because, they are no similar flights out of either Cork or Shannon.

We must not forget the contribution that people living outside Dublin are making to the profits of Dublin airport.

Travelling up to Dublin to get a flight to Bristol is a disgrace. We have they airports - they need to be utilised.

Now CIE, CIE as we saw with the recent Wexford Hurler Supporters Train debacle could offer it's customers a better service.

What to we get from CIE unions - "No Fare Day".

Who will pick up the tab for this?

The taxpayer?

Seamus Brennen needs to take on these unions and focus on comsumers. Are consumers getting a good deal from either CIE or Aer Rianta? I think Seamus Brennan should now make a stand aganist these unions in the interests of the Irish Consumer.

If he does - He will be Taoiseach material.

Knock, Kerry & Waterford Airports have not gone out of business.
    The phrase you're looking for is "by the skin of their teeth"...
    The taxpayer?
    They strike, people get pissed off.
    They work, but still make their point to management, cork get's pissed off.
    I know which choice I'd pick.
    Seamus Brennen needs to take on these unions and focus on comsumers. Are consumers getting a good deal from either CIE or Aer Rianta? I think Seamus Brennan should now make a stand aganist these unions in the interests of the Irish Consumer.
    If he does - He will be Taoiseach material.
    Indeed? What if he takes on his unions and Martin takes on his unions - who wins then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I hear that the project manager was advised to stand downhill of Mini Brennan and stoop, so that Mini wouldn't look quite so Mini in the picture from this week's Irish Times.

Maybe that's the new strategy for solving the tunnel height problem - Photograph the tunnel beside Mini Brennan so it looks twice it's real height.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Knock, Kerry & Waterford Airports have not gone out of business. Countless people go up from Cork & the Mid-West to get flights from Dublin.

Why?

Because, they are no similar flights out of either Cork or Shannon.

We must not forget the contribution that people living outside Dublin are making to the profits of Dublin airport.

Well maybe you should be asking the airlines why they are not offering these flights? Aer Rianta facilitate the airlines they don't schedule flights. Maybe its uneconomical to run these flights from smaller airports.
    Travelling up to Dublin to get a flight to Bristol is a disgrace. We have they airports - they need to be utilised.

Again its the airlines you need to direct this towards not Aer Rianta
    Now CIE, CIE as we saw with the recent Wexford Hurler Supporters Train debacle could offer it's customers a better service.

The taxpayer?

Seamus Brennen needs to take on these unions and focus on comsumers.

Wriong, Brennen needs to remove all the FF cronies from the Boards and upper management get some proper business people in and run these organisations like businesses. I actually think the unions and staff are entitled to protest and yes this protest is costing CIE money but at least they are not affecting ordinary communters by having a all out strike.
    Are consumers getting a good deal from either CIE or Aer Rianta? I think Seamus Brennan should now make a stand aganist these unions in the interests of the Irish Consumer.

Bullsh!t, Brennen like all the other cronies does not give a damn about the consumer. From the evidence of a press release every few days all he's interested in is spin and looking good.
    If he does - He will be Taoiseach material. [/B]

He's not even councillor material, he's a small man in many different ways.

Gandalf.

How would Cork operate as a hub? Hubs need to be in the centre of something, not at the edge, What would you suggest it operate as a hub for? Farranfore? Knock? Bantry? Aran Islands?

Originally posted by Victor
    How would Cork operate as a hub? Hubs need to be in the centre of something, not at the edge, What would you suggest it operate as a hub for? Farranfore? Knock? Bantry? Aran Islands?

Cork has a hinterland. So has the Mid-West. The people of these areas deserve flights.

Ryanair does not always fly to the main airport in a given city or country. The Cork/Kerry region has massive tourism potential. While Dublin is often seen as an over priced destination by ur tourists.

Now, on the point of appointing political cronies - this practice needs to be halted. It has been carried on by many political partys. 3 independant boards responsibile for the running of airports without a safety net of a government bail out might indeed lead to capable boards appointed on merit. These boards will at least by made up of people who know their regions and can scout for business bearing this in mind.

Why the airlines are not flying into Cork/Shannon?

Answer: Cost.

Ryanair decided to base a German route in Farranfore instead of Shannon.

With 3 independant boards - they will be competion between airports. Having a state controled monoploy has done little for either choice or competion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Competition is no panacea. Remember that Micheal O'Leary is the guy who boasted about how Ryanair "raped" Boeing with their last round of plane purchases, just after Sept 11. You can almost see the little tent in his trousers as he makes his plans for dealing with the much smaller/weaker Cork & Shannon airports.

Originally posted by RainyDay
    as he makes his plans for dealing with the much smaller/weaker Cork & Shannon airports.

A Shannon or Cork with very few flights is not serving it's hinterland. What use are these airports to anybody when people cannot get flights even to many UK cities out of them.

Who is to blame for this? Is it the airlines or Aer Rianta?

Michael O Leary has ensured that air transport is no longer the preserve of the "well to do". Cost is indeed important to a company like Ryanair. Ryanair is still profitable by selling a "no frills" service. Ryanair is competing in the real world. It is not a state controlled monopoly like CIE or Aer Rianta.

What Seamus Brennan is trying to do is to introduce competition. Just as with opposition from the taxi drivers unions - Mr. Brennen needs to take on these unions.

The future is indded bright for Shannon & Cork. Cork will to the European City of Culture for 2005 & Cork/Kerry are some of the most senic areas in this country.

Why do we need monopolys in 2003? It was only with competition from Ryanair did Aer Lingus transform itself.

The same will happen with CIE & Aer Rianta - no metter how hard the unions will try to huff & puff.

Seamus Brennan is like a breath of fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Who is to blame for this? Is it the airlines or Aer Rianta?
    Airlines. Or a lack of custom. I took one of the last Virgin Express flights from Shannon to Gatwick. There were seven other people on the plane, including two flight attendants and (presumably) two people in the cockpit. Even the lure of cheap flights wasn't enough for them to keep the service going as people didn't seem to be taking them. Same thing when I flew on the same route a few months earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Originally posted by dod
    Seamus Brennan is a thoroughly disagreeable chap.

Best I say no more lest it become nominally libellous. Not to say that what might be said wouldn't be true, but that a well paid legal team might have fun demanding that your assertions be proven beyond reasonable doubt

Bah.
    and rightly so

Advertisement