Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ad RTE refused to air...

Options
  • 16-07-2003 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Gods, this could go anywhere -- Politics, Humour, IrelandOffline...

http://www.ryanair.com/adverts/

With thanks to Tom on Open. (Another Tom.)

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I agree. It is actually silly that RTE would not broadcast it. I wonder why?

However I do notice, of late, that ryanair's marketing tactics are a little too devious. They are not all that they are cut out to be. For example I believe that they were recently "slapped" for advertising easter holiday breaks in which you could not travel at easter. However you could book the holiday then. So yea bad bad RTE. But also not so good Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That Easter campaign did look confusing at best, misleading at worst.

I love the "Call Bertie" advert though - I played it a few times today, giggled, played it again, ah sure you know yourself.

Cute "email bertie" link on the associated webpage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Hobart

Because its tantamount to a plea for harrassment.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Let me see.. a state controlled TV agency turning on it's political masters....

yeah... actually... why didn't they turn on Bertie and Seamus Brennan... since Fianna Fial are hell bent on spending tax payers money, on a terminal Ryanair will build for diddly

And oh, err, wait, the politicians control RTE's budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Typedef
    Let me see.. a state controlled TV agency turning on it's political masters....
    Err, Beeb, WoMD, 45 mins, Alistair Cambell, Tony Blair?

Errah I guess you're right, RTÉ wouldn't have the guts.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Are they going to run it on TV3?
    Or is this a cynical attempt by MOL to get free publicity?

Originally posted by Sparks
    Are they going to run it on TV3?
    Or is this a cynical attempt by MOL to get free publicity?
    Yes it is being run by TV3 this week prior to coronation street and Emerdale.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes it was shown on TV3 and I fell about laughing, honestly it was only a matter of time before such types ads would be made and seen here, as they are par for the media in the USA.

It is a form of lobbying but instead of dealing with people behind the scenes appeals to the public at large making them feel as if they have a say.

If people where to lobby (not harass)
    Those that are elected to supposedly repesent them things could be a lot different instead of those with money paying off Parties to get their members to vote a certain way.

Honestly how many people know whom their TD's are and how to get in touch with them?
    And most TD's are happy to keep it that way

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its a party political broadcast on behalf of the Michael O'Leary's Ego Party.

Ryanair are not the nice people they are cracked up to be. I've seen them do some awful things. Their flights are one long ad-break for car rental, phone cards, toys (!). Their service is sh|te and I dont trust them not to cut safety corners to save money.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Ryanair are not the nice people they are cracked up to be. I've seen them do some awful things. Their flights are one long ad-break for car rental, phone cards, toys (!). Their service is sh|te and I dont trust them not to cut safety corners to save money.

While I agree about their service, how many crashed have 14 year old Ryanair had? Absolutely none and compare that to a certain other European carrier which managed 3 fatal crashes (and another aircraft write-off) in less than 4 years.

• Advertisement

It's only a matter of time embraer170.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by dahamsta

adam

:rolleyes: Yes and if I have enough monkeys with typewriters one of them will write Hamlet.

Mike.

Sorry mike65, Ryanair employs all the monkeys.

adam

There is a choice, no one has to fly Ryan air, why do they??
    Cheap flights?
    They ain't one of the biggest airlines in Europe , because, every customer hates them.
    Anyone that flies with them knows exactly what the conditions are, and if they do not want that, there are plenty of other airlines, who will provide the perks/frills at a larger cost.
    Heck they might even fly you into an airport near the city you are flying to.
    But then, they won't get people that normally can't afford to fly, flying.

Aer lingus offer their London Economy passengers a biscuit and tea or coffee now, whereas it used be a meal, soon it will be nothing probably. They've dumped the travel agents for the most part, in favour of web based offers.

The, if you can't beat them, join them phrase comes to mind, as well as imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.
    I've the height of respect for a business team that can deliver the kind of profits Ryanair have in the last year, given , all the downturns other airlines have suffered.
    mm

I'm just back from London on AL, I wasn't offered a biscuit. Quite frankly, I'd be happy if drinks were only available on request. It's only a bloody hour for god's sake. Personally, Ryanair's bare-minimum maintenance routines don't instil confidence. Aer Lingus might be only one step up the ladder, but I'd prefer that extra rung, thanks. Anyway, I decided a long time ago that after all my spouting about it, the one time I travel Ryanair will be the time something goes horrendously wrong. Murphy can keep his law.

adam

There is a choice, no one has to fly Ryan air, why do they??
    Ignorance of the decision involved. I've been in aircraft since I was two weeks old (starting with cessnas) and the one and only time I ever felt uncomfortable or unsafe was on a ryanair flight.
    When the 737 you're on is part of a fleet that's had half it's aircraft grounded for "excessive arcing between wires in the fuel tanks"... well. Safety doesn't seem too much like a high priority.

Originally posted by Sparks
    Ignorance of the decision involved. I've been in aircraft since I was two weeks old (starting with cessnas) and the one and only time I ever felt uncomfortable or unsafe was on a ryanair flight.
    For the record, I do not fly Ryan air any more and haven't for about four years.
    ( I have a BA executive club silver card:D and can heartily recommend their fully flat beds on trans atlantic club world, as well as the steak medium rare on Royal doulton china :p )

The one and only time I flew Ryanair , there was an ambulance and a fire engine following us out the runway, at that airport, an hour or so's bus ride from Paris:eek: :eek:
    mm

The one and only time I flew Ryanair , there was an ambulance and a fire engine following us out the runway, at that airport, an hour or so's bus ride from Paris
    Well, that'll inspire confidence!

I personally can't stand Ryanair. I've done a fair bit of flying and on Ryanair was the only time I was ever told to "put my f****** newspaper away" during the safety demo. That said and like so many other customers, it doesn't stop me from going back to them again and again.....

dahamsta,

And what exactly makes you think that? People were saying the same about the American LCC Southwest when it was founded in 1967. Now 36 years later, not a single fatality.

Sparks,
    When the 737 you're on is part of a fleet that's had half it's aircraft grounded for "excessive arcing between wires in the fuel tanks"... well. Safety doesn't seem too much like a high priority.

Part of Ryanair's B737 fleet was grounded for "excessive arcing between wires in the fuel taknks"? I haven't heard anything of the sort though if you happen to have a link or something?

Jer

( I have a BA executive club silver card and can heartily recommend their fully flat beds on trans atlantic club world, as well as the steak medium rare on Royal doulton china )

Just curious if you know of FlyerTalk? Plenty of boasting and bragging about FFP status there... ;)

• Advertisement

Part of Ryanair's B737 fleet was grounded for "excessive arcing between wires in the fuel taknks"? I haven't heard anything of the sort though if you happen to have a link or something?
    This was some years ago - '98 I think. Just after the 737 in the US had blown up on takeoff because of arcing in the wing tanks.

This was some years ago - '98 I think. Just after the 737 in the US had blown up on takeoff because of arcing in the wing tanks.

The 737 has had its problems (tail mainly) but I haven't heard of any exploding due to arcing in the wing tanks. There was a single B737 incident in the US between 1996 and 2000.

November 1998 / AirTran B737 / no fatalities / Hydraulic problem

You wouldn't be confusing it with a TWA B747-100 crash in 1996 "Explosion of the center fuel tank. Wource of the ignition is unknown"

Originally posted by embraer170
    And what exactly makes you think that?
    Well, I said. As far as I'm aware - I had this explained to me by a SIFCO guy, but I can't remember the details exactly - there are three possible maintenance levels: Ryanair goes for the cheapest, Aer Lingus goes for the middle one. Wasn't a Ryanair jet grounded just this week? I seem to remember an article suggesting that the grounding may accelerate their jet orders but I can't find a reference.

adam

dahamsta,

Who is/are SIFCO exactly?
    there are three possible maintenance levels: Ryanair goes for the cheapest, Aer Lingus goes for the middle one. Wasn't a Ryanair jet grounded just this week? I seem to remember an article suggesting that the grounding may accelerate their jet orders but I can't find a reference.

There is way more to maintenance than merely three levels. The IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) monitors Ryanair and you can be certain that if the company did not conform to regulation, we'd be hearing about it.

And more from the stupid tabloids. Ryanair simply retired a plane, like all airlines have to do.

Who is/are SIFCO exactly?

I'm a little surprised you don't know embraer170, given your handle and your obvious interest in the air industry.

http://www.sifco.com/
    http://www.sifco.ie/

There is way more to maintenance than merely three levels. The IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) monitors Ryanair and you can be certain that if the company did not conform to regulation, we'd be hearing about it.

I didn't say that they didn't conform to regulation, and obviously "three levels" is a gross simplification on my part. How about I go back to "bare-bones" or "bare minimum"?

And more from the stupid tabloids. Ryanair simply retired a plane, like all airlines have to do.

Indeed, but Ryanair's entire fleet is bordering on retirement.

adam

dahamsta,

I'm a little surprised you don't know embraer170, given your handle and your obvious interest in the air industry

No I really had never heard of them. Thanks.
    Indeed, but Ryanair's entire fleet is bordering on retirement.

Well they current have about 20 B737-200s, all 20+ years of age and yes bordering retirement. However the rest of their fleet -50+ B737-800s with another 120 on firm order - were all bought new and are less than 5 years old. When the B737-200s leave (2006 at the latest), the airline will have one of the younger fleets in Europe.

I really don't have exact fleet figures since they - like everything at Ryanair - change so quickly.

Jer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Maybe to dispel some of the myths on this thread so far

Ryanair
    737-200’s 21 in service aged 20-23years
    737-800’s 35 in service aged 0-4 years

Aer Lingus
    Oldest things they have are 146’s (4 engine high wing ) oldest in service 14 years
    It should also be noted that Aer Lingus operated a large fleet of 737-200’s which were retired in the 1990’s when the oldest aircraft in service were 22-23 years.

Cityjet(Air France Dublin-Paris)
    146’s oldest in service 18 years

Aer Arann
    ATR’s oldest in service 18 years

JetMagic
    ERJ’s oldest in service 1 year

Ryanair’s maintenance is carried out by FLS at Dublin and Stansted, by exactly the same engineers who look after the Aer Lingus fleet. Ryanair are however building their own maintenance facility at Prestwick in Scotland and will soon take up much of this work in-house.

A few years ago Boeing discovered a problem with cable wear and fuel pumps on centre fuel tanks (following explosion of a TWA 747 and a Thai 737). Part of the problem was traced back to overheating on pumps manufactured by Hydro-Aire. An emergency directive was issued which required the pumps to be replaced on an estimated 3500 Boeing aircraft, ranging from ancient to brand new. This directive affected nearly every Boeing operator in the world, including Aer Lingus.

I am involved in aviation, but not with Ryanair, so I have no axe to grind or cause to further. I am however saddened at how quick people are to build up myth into fact.

If you are looking to have a go at Ryanair, I wouldn’t start with their maintenance procedures. They are no better or no worse than anyone else and most of the other operators aren’t quite as brilliant as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Thread seems to have gone way weay off topic. Does anybody here have proof that the age of an airplane contributes to its lack of safety. Somebody made a point earlier that RA conform to IAA regulations on maintainence. Wether that is the so called "cheap" option or not does not matter. What does matter is that Ryanair are very very good at crying oppression when they don't get their own way and yet will mis-lead the public at every opportuinity. I cannot remember the amount of times they have been in front of the ASA for misleading claims. And as for flights to Paris and London. I think Stanstead is in Scotland somewhere and Beauvis (ws) well there were guys walking around in leaderhosen drinking pilsner.

BTW anybody notice the Ryanair ad on the front of the indo on Tuesday?? £19 to Birmingham. £? not €19.

Thanks for that post Occidental. Am I wrong so in saying that Ryanair's maintenance program is "bare minimum" and that Aer Lingus have a slightly better program? (You can service your car in the same place and pay different prices. Spurious parts come to mind.)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

And as for flights to Paris and London. I think Stanstead is in Scotland somewhere and Beauvis (ws) well there were guys walking around in leaderhosen drinking pilsner.

BTW anybody notice the Ryanair ad on the front of the indo on Tuesday?? £19 to Birmingham. £? not €19.
    Stanstead is not too bad. At least there is a decent rail link. The worst, I've heard is "Frankfurt"-Hahn where Hahn is two hours from Frankfurt. At least it's in Germany, though :)

Advertisement