Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ad RTE refused to air...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I don't disagree with you at all skepticone. But Stanstead is in Essex (AFAIK) and not London or even Greater London. So why advertise it as such? Yes the train service is good but so what? The train service from Luton is equally good. It's just the whole mis-representation that gets me. Yes I know ppl will get what they pay for and yes most can surf the web and find out exactly where Stanstead is, but what about those that can't? I also know that aer-lingus have recently reduced their fares to the UK and that they are a lot more competitive. So shopping around should be the best advice.

To get back to my main point I am sick of Mo'Leary crying about "this is unfair" and "that's unfaie" when he's pushing the system to it's limits himself. RTE were equally wrong for not running his ad but it could actually have been an opportunity for them. One which they probably never take. Back to concervatism with ye! I just wonder if they were not looking for another licence increase would they have run it?

Bad....bad.......me.........Slap on the ol' wristy and a saucer of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Hobart
    I don't disagree with you at all skepticone. But Stanstead is in Essex (AFAIK) and not London or even Greater London. So why advertise it as such?[/SIZE]
    London Gatwick is in West Sussex, which doesn't even touch Greater London itself as Surrey is in the way. It's all marketing really.

(of course the TLA's happily tell us there is or was a little distinction between LHR, LGW & STN)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Adam,

I wouldn’t consider Aer Lingus to have a better program, although you may find that they have different priorities. If you look at the 737 fleets that both airlines operate you might get a better idea. These are of course my own thoughts on the subject

Ryanair 737-200
    All 20 years+ and owned by the airline. Running out of hours and cycles and will be banned from EU operations by the next round of noise regulations. Resale value is little or none. Makes sense to maintain to serviceable standard and retire when major maintenance is due. Not a lot of point in wasting money on cabin interiors or non-critical items.

Aer Lingus 737-400/500
    10-12 years old and mostly owned by Aer Lingus. These will be phased out over the next few years when Aer Lingus finally standardises it’s short haul fleet on Airbus or Boeing. As the aircraft are mid-life and will comply with new noise regulations, they will be a valuable asset to Aer Lingus when the time comes to sell them. It therefore makes sense to maintain these aircraft in the best condition possible.

Ryanair 737-800
    All 4 years old or less and purchased new from Boeing. It is widely expected that Ryanair will run these aircraft for their full life, so therefore well worth their while to look after them.

BTW aircraft parts are strictly controlled and certified. If it’s certified and safe for a Ryanair 737 then it’s certified and safe for all 737’s. You can shop around suppliers and manufacturers for parts, but most of the differences tend to come down to a particular role or feature you are after and for which you will pay appropriately.

Hope this answers some of your questions and isn’t just the pile of waffle it looks like from here.

Cheers,

Pat

PS: Aer Lingus and BA have been using London Stansted and London Gatwick for years and everyone knows that Heathrow is really in Middlesex.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I can't see the advert here however.

1. the link to contact bertie goes to webmaster@taoiseach.irlgov.ie which is at a guess the address that deals with the website issues, not Berties address which is taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie .

So your email is probably going to /dev/null

2. The Irish Times poll they link to has absolutly nothing to do with the advert. I couldn't find a poll at all to be honest.

3. A quick search on news sites and it has been pulled from TV3 although not for the reasons Ryanair say.
    TV3 withdraws Ryanair advert
    Saturday, 12th July, 2003

TV3 has been forced to pull an advertisement from Ryanair calling on the Taoiseach to clear the way for a private terminal at Dublin Airport.

The advert, which urged members of the public to phone the Taoiseach's office, was also turned down for broadcast by RTÉ.

It was aired briefly on TV3 on Thursday evening but yesterday, after hearing about its contents, the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) contacted TV3 and advised them it could breach broadcasting legislation.

The advertisement involved Ryanair chief executive Mr Michael O'Leary talking about more competition at Dublin Airport, while the Taoiseach's office number appeared on the screen.

Yesterday an RTÉ spokeswoman said the station was not censoring Ryanair but RTÉ believed the advertisement was in breach of the 1960 Broadcasting Act.

She pointed to a section of the Act which states: " The Authority shall not accept any advertisement which is directed towards any religious or political end or has any relation to any industrial dispute."

RTÉ had no option but to obey the law, she added.

A TV3 spokeswoman said the BCI informed the station it could not accept advertisements with a political dimension.

Mr David McMunn, the station's legal adviser, said: "We were told the use of the image of a real person without them being first informed was also not permissible and so we've told Ryanair we cannot show the advert again."

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

She pointed to a section of the Act which states: " The Authority shall not accept any advertisement which is directed towards any religious or political end or has any relation to any industrial dispute."
    Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Fair play to Ryan Air for introducing a bit of competition to routes like Dublin/London (even if it is Stansted) but I don't think RTE should be showing people voicing essentially political views on RTE simply because they have money for an ad.

It just struck me, why don't Ryanair sod off and build their own airport?

Originally posted by Victor
    I know someone with a grass landing strip, near courtown in co wexford, who might be more than willing to sell.... only a two hour bus ride from Dublin off-peak :D
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They proberly would'nt get planning permision! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of this whole thing with Ryanair is that they have actually said they WILL pay for it AND hand it over to the government, but are still not being allowed to do so by the government??

Maybe I am way off the mark, but that was always my understanding of the whole issue.

Can some of you guys explain it for me please?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of this whole thing with Ryanair is that they have actually said they WILL pay for it AND hand it over to the government, but are still not being allowed to do so by the government??

IMHO, you're wrong. O'Leary? Hello?

Occidental, I appreciate you taking the time to respond in such detail. I'll reply when I'm sober,

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

[QUOTEShe pointed to a section of the Act which states: " The Authority shall not accept any advertisement which is directed towards any religious or political end or has any relation to any industrial dispute."
    [/QUOTE]
    But but but....
    Were there not adds before the Nice elections? And what exactly is the definition of a 'political end'?

Surely most charities and corporations are using adverts for their reasons which could in some cases be interpreted as political in nature.

Originally posted by wolfman
    Yes they will, the will build something with a 25 year life span and hand it over to the government in 35 years having never paid rent, is most likely what most such operators would want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

What Dublin needs is a proper, integrated terminal, not a bunch of competing terminals. That creates a fragmented, inefficient airport where transferring between flights becomes difficult. (ie Heathrow)

Somehow I get the feeling that O'Leary wants to get into trans-atlantic flights and wants Dublin as his hub into Europe, with his own private little terminal. Do the residents of North Dublin want the airport to become an international hub and the skies over the city Ryanair's personal kerosine dump?

O'Leary really irritates me. Not quite as much as Bertie, but still. O'Leary was on BBC talking about Ryanair being an example of "us paddies having a knack for making a good profit" or something like that. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

RTE wer probabley afraid that if Ryanair got a hold on Dublin then all the semi-state bodys would lose all there funding and all those ppl with over payed do nothing jobs for life would like there directors would be unemployed.

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    What Dublin needs is a proper, integrated terminal, not a bunch of competing terminals. That creates a fragmented, inefficient airport where transferring between flights becomes difficult. (ie Heathrow)
    Indeed, San Francisco International has four (one closed) terminals, all of which are physically attached to each other in an arc, not like Amsterdam which is absolutely vast - 30 minutes walk between gates (Dublin less so).

http://www.san-francisco-sfo.com/maps.html

javascript:LinkPopupWindow('http://www.schiphol.nl/media/pdf/jaarverslag/airportcityguide_en.pdf','300','300','no')

http://www.dublinairport.ie/AR_Dublin/Live/Lv_pres_GenTemplate.asp?strPage_Name=DN_AirportMaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

from what i can see, Ryanair have a certain advertising approach.
    they are throwing out the contraversal ads for a reason.
    their advertising is costing them sweet f**k all.
    they come out with an ad, and because of its nature, it gets a lot of pubilicity, and any publicity is good publicity.
    i remember not too long ago, they had an ad involving the pope. from what cost a couple hundred euro, got millions worth in publicity. it appeared in news papers and magazine across teh world.
    what ever they are doing, it's working

Advertisement