Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CometAssertion Error

Options
  • 16-07-2003 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Didn't really know where to put this...but...

This error always comes up -only- when I look at boreds. If I click "yes" three times it will go away, if I click "no" IE will have a fatal error and shut down.

Took a screen capture of it.

It's slightly irksome, does anyone know what it's all about? Possibly how to fix it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a buggy version of the spyware known as Comet Cursor maybe ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's what it looks like to me. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and look for Comet Cursor. Uninstall the little bugger, and don't accept prompts for it again. You should also make sure your machine is fully patched and your security levels are set to the highest usable level. (If you run Windows NT, 2000, XP or Server 2003, check out the Baseline Security Advisor.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

install Spybot Search and Destroy, it will kill Comet and others of its kind and clean your registry as well. If you could be persuaded to install Comet then the situation may be worse than you think.

Its free, its here

http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 meesha_beesha

Thanks...I tried all the conventional (common-sensicle) ways to rid me of anything Commet realated. I'm gonna try that Spybot S&D now. Hope it works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Now I come to look at that error again, I'm a little skeptical that it's Comet. *.cpp are usually C++ (source?) files, and the location of the file hints that it's part of a project. Are you a programmer? Have you got Visual Basic or another programming environment or compiler installed on your machine?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 meesha_beesha

And had VB on my machine a couple of months ago.

Ran the Spybot S&D and that seemed to take care of alot of the problems. No more errors when I look at boards. It used to take ages to load the pages, now it's pretty quick.

I'm sure my computer is still messed and scrambled but as far as I'm concerned the problem has been resolved.

Advertisement