Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Nixer work advice

• 16-07-2003 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭

Heyho

I've been offered a nixer job installing 15 PC's onto a small network. Its a startup internet cafe, all they want is the cabling done (all pc's are within about 10square meters) and firewall/router installed/configured onto a dsl line. Pc's are new XP professional pc's with internal Nics, so all I'll basically be doing is configuring Tcp/ip, no server to be installed. I'll be supplying cat5 + rj45's. They've asked me to suggest a 24port switch and I think they want me to suggest a router+firewall.

I haven't got the faintest idea on what to charge, its going to be done on a saturday.

any taughts on what to charge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

i'd do it for about 55e an hour tbh

and take your time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tis obviously up to yourself. It doesn't sound like anything particularly difficult or taxing. Seeing as it's a Saturday, I'd charge somewhere between €125 - €175 for a full day (not including anything you have to buy/supply, obviously), but then I'm uber-cheap cos I'm still a student :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

yeah people are advising me to charge at about 50€ per hour and to take my time :) I think that’s the price I'll charge, see if he accepts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

tell us how u get on

sounds like a nice job if you can get it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

It aint a matter of how much should u charge it is how much you can get.

Get over the mis-conception that you should be cheap. Its not always about cheap in a market its about quality of service and how much u can get out of them.

You will have to organise everything set it up cost it, estimate it, plan the project , spend time thinking about how it should be implemented, then go in on a saturday and implement it. (All these pre-implementation details must be costed for ). You also seem to be sourcing the hardware goods and all personally i reckon you should buy them yourself whack on a mark up onto it and get more money that way excluding the standard charge.

Do it fast be completely prepared get in get out be efficient and professional and charge well for it. Stuff charging per hour as its the people that charge per hour give a notion to a rip off society by lazing around clocking up the hours. Be direct give an estimate and do it. If you think it would take you 7 hours in your lazing around mode then charge €700 and get it done in three hours.

Its about efficency not about lazing about for 7 hours clocking up the hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

And remember, if theres any problems with the network afterwards, you're gonna be the one thats gonna have to fix it...

Advertisement