Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM Modem?????

• 16-07-2003 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey Everyone!!!

Listen I got a question for you all. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a GSM modem for a pc. I was in town today and have tried all the electrical stores (Petes, Maplins, Dixons etc ) and communications ones (O2, Vodafone, Nokia stores) as well and no one does them. The Nokia Store did a Nokia card there version of the GSM Modem but it was just for a laptop.

If anyone has any info on where I can get one or anything else to do with them it would be great if they would let me know thanks!!!!

Mike

:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭niallb

Buy a Siemens S45 or similar.
    Mine came with a serial cable included,
    you just plug in to your PC.

Many mobile phones will work, but Nokia
    tend to charge a lot extra for the cables as I recall.
    Just look for a phone that says it does data and do
    a bit of research.

Check back here with a model number,
    second hand these are going for a song.

On O2, the best you'll get is 14,400,
    Meteor (I think) would be 9,600
    and Vodafone potentially faster but on a more limited
    series of phones with a feature called HSCSD.
    You need to ring them to get your SIM activated for the high speed.

Vodafone no longer charge twice the normal rate for the faster calls, so are probably the best value.
    If your own phone is on another network, it might be handier to stay with the same.

The Siemens S45 and similar are also capable of GPRS connections, though this can work out hideously expensive.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by zorb
    Hey Everyone!!!

Listen I got a question for you all. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a GSM modem for a pc.
    :p

Bit of a hack - but I use this in work. Need to plug in an ariel. Siemens MC35 Terminal. No idea what it costs.

Its a very neat tiny box that can do both GSM and GPRS.
    It connects via a serial cable. GPRS gets you about 44K to 50K downloads.

http://www.siemens-mobile.com/btob/CDA/presentation/ap_btob_cda_presentation_frontdoor/0,,53_0_0_105_0_0_0,FF.html

“Roll it back”

Advertisement