Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what modem to get??

• 16-07-2003 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Im a little confused with all this router / usb and needing a network card for somethings and stuff..

Basically.. if I opted to go for my own modem instead of the IOL usb modem what would be my best buy for money and to do the job.

The job is a pc and a possible x box need connection??

Now what do I need to get to 1st off just connect my pc to the internet via adsl?? I hear USB are a drain on CPU, andI only have a p3 500, so for on line gaming reasons I should stay away from this?? What is the other option to a USB modem??

And 2ndly what would I need if I got that modem, to connect it then up to the xbox?? but being able to use my pc aswell??

Jesus all that sounds confusing..

Ok wait.. lets say I just want a dsl modem for my computer and its not usb done?? do I need a networkcard?? aslo If I did wait for my IOL bb modem, can that connect to the Xbox?

Thanks,

-Coz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

You would need a network card if you get the ethernet (ie non usb) modem.
    I fairly sure the IOL modem is a usb one and unless it has an ethernet port on it, it won't work with the xbox. I think pings tend to be slower on usb as well.
    Ethernet modems aren't that expensive and this link has a list of compatible ones... Xbox compatible modems

_____
    C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

So if i baught myself one of those router things, I would need to also get a Network card for the back of my pc?? And how would I go about setting the modem up? Just install software and connect the router via cat5 ? or something? to the network card and put the dsl line in the back of the router? and ure all set to go? Then I would be able to connect an x box into the router also? and be able to play the x box even with my pc off? or both at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

oh also any recomendations for a good value for money Router and network card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Don't bother with a router. You have USB modem for the pc from IOL, so just get a seperate ethernet modem for the xbox. A modem would be cheaper than a multiport router with built-in modem. Everyone seems to be obsessed with routers

Advertisement