Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a Private Members Bill?

Options
  • 16-07-2003 9:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Dan Boyle tells me that the Green Party is formulating a private members bill on Tobin Tax that they hope to introduce to the Dáil -- pardon my ignorance, but what's a private members bill?

I'm guessing it's an opposition sponsored bill or something?

adam

Comments

I'd always assumed that time, was allotted by the speaker of the house for members of parliament to move their own bills and that this was subject to the order of business put down by the speaker or Ceann Chomhairle in our case.

They could become law, but usually don't as normally,being put foward by opposition parties or independents, they would not have enough support, unless un opposed.

I'm sure others here can elaborate.
    From the Oireacthteas website:
    A Private Member's Bill can be initiated by any member of the Dáil or Seanad, regardless of his or her political affiliation.

Like Government legislation the Private Member's Bill must be passed by both Houses of the Oireachtas. In practice, the Government opposes all Private Members' Bills so it is very rare that a Bill will survive to become legislation.

Sometimes, Private Members' Bills are initiated by members of the Oireachtas simply to draw attention to an issue or to focus public debate on a gap in the law.

For example, in 1979, Fine Gael initiated a Private Member's Ombudsman Bill. This Bill was defeated but the debate that surrounded the issue prompted the Government to introduce similar legislation.

Rules
    The Private Member's Bill cannot be started by any member of the Government, Minister of State, the Attorney General or leader of the House in the Seanad.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Man summed up what a PMB is pretty well. They rarely go anywhere. Can't remember the last time one was passed into law in Ireland, though they were pretty popular in the 1920s.

They're occasionally (very occasionally) used as a means of passing legislation that no party wants to take personal responsibility for. Like the law legalising abortion in the UK, passed via a PMB in 1967 (this may have been the last one passed into law in the UK). Governments won't often support them as they "have our own legislation in the works and it'll be better, you'll see"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks guys. I suppose they're just used for leverage so?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

More like Public Relations dahamsta.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The most recent PMB I remember was from a few years ago, when Fine Gael's John V. Farrelly wanted to introduce legislation to regulate door men/bouncers.

Fell on its arse. As did he in the last election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

It is a useful way for the opposition to sometimes force the govt. to incorporate amendments into forthcoming legislation - the govt. kill the PMB but accept the gist of the bill into a govt. bill later on (allowing both sides to claim some kudos).
    TDs from the govt. side are discouraged from proposing PMBs, since it would muck up the Govt's legislative timetable for the year (each bill has five stages).
    If a PMB is opposed (as it usually is), the proposer has five minutes to outline the bill - the opposer has five minutes to oppose it, and then there is a vote (and that is usually the end of it).
    In the UK (House of Commons), where there is a similar function, it is called the "Ten Minute Rule" (http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/fs04.pdf)

Advertisement