Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fas Safety Pass

• 17-07-2003 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

The place I’ve been working in for the last few weeks went bust last week, which means I’ve to find myself a job fast to put money towards my leaving cert holiday celebrations.

I've kind of been offered a job by a friend to work on a building site, alas I need a fas safety pass before i can start and time is not really on my side now. I noticed all construction work requires this, so I guess if I somehow managed to obtain one I could probably find a building site nearer at hand.

So what’s the deal with the Fas Safety Pass? I know its a day course but can i ring up Fas in the morning and book my self in for it? Or must it be done by the employer? When you pass the examination they give you on the day, are you issued the pass that very day, or must you wait weeks till it arrives? If you must wait for the card to arrive, are you eligible to work on the site – as basically you’ve passed so the card itself is a mere entity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle

So what’s the deal with the Fas Safety Pass? I know its a day course but can i ring up Fas in the morning and book my self in for it? Or must it be done by the employer? When you pass the examination they give you on the day, are you issued the pass that very day, or must you wait weeks till it arrives? If you must wait for the card to arrive, are you eligible to work on the site – as basically you’ve passed so the card itself is a mere entity.

Many place offer the Safe Pass course, butonly FAs can issue the cert. The course is a one day affair that any eejit can do and pass easily. The course provider generally then sends the details to FAS who several weeks later will issue a Pass.

Eligibility to work on site is usually a matter for the site safety officer, and is a bit of a gray area thanks to delay in the Fas system. You shoudn't be there without a pass, but having done the course you should be allowed on site - that sort of thing.

If your mate is already working on the particular job, ask him to check with the site safety officer.

BTW the course is €150-200 sort of money privately, or you can wait for ages to do one run by FAS, as I understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.fas.ie/environmental_training_unit/safepass.html :: more info.

just call (in or phone) FAS and have a quick chat, they don't bite ;)

Advertisement