Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Price War in Japan .....100Mbits for €40 a month

Options
  • 17-07-2003 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

In a push to become the worlds most advanced BB environment (and getting ahead of Korea ....thats most important) the Japanese are now offering

ADSL, 12 Mbits for around €30 a month
    ADSL , 20 to 26 Mbits for around €40 a month
    Fibre, 100Mbits for €40 a month

Story Here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

*sob*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Muck

ADSL, 12 Mbits for around €30 a month
    ADSL , 20 to 26 Mbits for around €40 a month
    [/URL]

isnt adsl limited to 8 mbits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Sonnani hayaku type suruto yubiga moecyau!

*whimper*

BB War in Ireland: 2 56k custromers in contention for the same ISP modem

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Depends on the version of *dsl, if its VDSL then it can take alot more than 8 mbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    Depends on the version of *dsl, if its VDSL then it can take alot more than 8 mbits.

yeh. then it's not adsl !
    I understand about the various DSL offerings, as in that the gov/regulator chopped the price of llu to allow more competition, but how did they manage to get the fibre ?

I assume they actually went and put in ftth ? Wonder what the cost of that was.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

How refreshing would it be if the arseholes that ran this country would take this attitude of wanting to be first with introducing things instead of always trawling in last 5/10 years behind everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

The high speeds are seen as the only way for competitors to compete. The offerings are so cheap it didn't make sense to make it cheaper, but making it fastrer did attract customers.

The market surged so much that the ADSL chip makers started making non-standard chips just for japan, to bump up the speed. Most of the 100 meg stuff is from sending fibre to an apartment block then just running ethernet round the block.

I thought we had a complex about our nearest neighbours? Unfortuneatly it doesn't seem to translate into a national fervour to be more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Sure some of our TDs would rather burn a PC at the stake for stealing their soul than do anything to advance this countries ability to compete on an international lvl.

With a 5 mbps a second, connection available to everyoe that wants one for €40 a month, then home work would become vialable for alot of people, just think of all the call centre workers who could work from home with a decent always on connection, web cam and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

just think of the reduction in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

how depressing.. how utterly, utterly depressing.

But on the upside, prices like those may exist one day in Ireland and our grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildren may be able to avail of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i could cry

but on a lighter note at lest i dont have to eat raw fish !:rolleyes:

(sobs)
    oh god i want 100meg broadband
    (/sob)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Give me a 100Mbit line for €40/month and i WILL eat raw fish:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by rymus
    how depressing.. how utterly, utterly depressing.

But on the upside, prices like those may exist one day in Ireland and our grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens granchildren may be able to avail of them...

and only available in 3 exchanges country wide...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

http://bbpromo.yahoo.co.jp/

Edit: The cost of the 26mbps product is under 29 euros monthly, and there is no mention of any setup/install/modem fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Hi,

If you check out http://www.bbapply.com then you will get an overview of YahooBB! prices in English. The only good thing about their Japanese site is that you can put in your number to see what service you can get. Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll have the 26Mbits service :-) First of all I have to downgrade the ISDN line. I hope NTT are efficent at doing that but knowing my luck they'll take their time and/or botch the job.

Joe

-- Available even at locations which were too far from the telephone exchange at slower ADSL speeds

-- Real "Always-On" internet connection (not PPPoE)

So there you go, Eircom has been lying about their ADSL being "Always-On"!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

what other types of dsl are there that are easy to implement, with higher speeds, other than adsl?

SHDSL for one. However, this is actually ADSL, but the Japanese apparently decided to make their own enhancements to ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

vdsl offers speeds up to 45Mb/sec

fibre offers up to multi terrabytes/sec

Originally posted by STaN
    vdsl offers speeds up to 45Mb/sec

It is actually 52Mbps, though you would only get that kind of speed over an extremely short range link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by STaN
    and only available in 3 exchanges country wide...
    and all three will be in Dublin city centre

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Quotes from the original article....
    "Not to be outdone, rival ADSL providers are also offering free tryouts, and fiber-optic carriers are offering discounted connection fees."

By comparison I still reckon that all the ADSL subscribers in this country last year could have been hung off a pair of 100Mb/s connections (Eircom/ESAT) based on a 48:1 contention ratio....

PS. At 100Mb/s you'd hit your 4GB cap in about 320 SECONDS !!!
    - and that's only 10,000 times faster than the 9600bps the Telco's are trying to weasle down to. and €40 would only leave you with about €17 for metered calls after the rental..

In fact I'd bet the fibre companies don't stick you the phone rental too - l "For instance, the diffusion rate of low-priced Internet protocol telephones in Japan is by far the highest in the world, he said."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    It is actually 52Mbps, though you would only get that kind of speed over an extremely short range link.
    ...in a lab. AFAICR, vDSL is also distance sensitive, so the average would likely be far lower. Stick one in me street cab Eircom!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Some handy info on VDSL for the interested but less aware here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

To supply 100 Mbits/sec to occupiers in an apartment block you just need to supply a single dedicated link then share the link once it's in the building. Most likely fibre is used to bring the dedicated connection and long reach ethernet (a form of VDSL) used to deliver it to the residents.

Even if fibre is not used, the dedicated link could be split over multiple existing telephone lines to the building and then shared out. No reason why ADSL could not be used for this purpose.

You can not use ADSL in the block though, or even VDSL, because it is too slow. They are actually supplying 100Mbps to EACH apartment/house. Obviously there is contention on that connection, but you can actually get that speed (i.e. your connection is truly 100Mbps and not for instance 52Mbps).

Hmmm. Yes, distributing around the building using existing copper wiring would still be a problem. I was under the impression that long reach ethernet could do higher speeds. Ethernet would be a possibility but would involve new wiring.

Any idea how widespread is the availability of this service?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by sceptre
    Some handy info on VDSL for the interested but less aware here
    More technical stuff here (tutorial) and here (faq). From the venerable ADSL Forum.

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cat 5 will give you what only 100m ? - PER SEGMENT
    So you just use long cables between switches eg: 30 floors is about 100m - so no real problems - and TBH if the building is that big then just take fibre up the lift shaft to the 40th floor ...

Though for obvious reasons you can't put any networking equipment on the 4th floor.

Can't use wireless cos only channel 14 is allowed on 802.11b

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Cat 5 will give you what only 100m ? - PER SEGMENT
    So you just use long cables between switches eg: 30 floors is about 100m - so no real problems - and TBH if the building is that big then just take fibre up the lift shaft to the 40th floor ...
    It's really just the same as with networking any large office building.

With large scale apartment living in Korea and Japan fibre is now economical and offers speeds of 100Mbit/sec. This puts pressure on DSL competitors to make their services cheaper and push those technologies to the limits. Eventually fibre will win out in those areas where it is economical and DSL will be confined to the remaining areas.

Advertisement