Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isdn

• 17-07-2003 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right place (because ISDN isnt broadband), but this seemed like the best place for it. If it isnt, then could someone please move it to a better place.

I live in Dublin 15. The only broadband option up here is eircom ADSL (AFAIK), and I can't get that because of a splitter/pairgain/DAC/whatever ya want to call it. I am SICK of 28k access (again, thank you mr. splitter :rolleyes: )

I'm thinking of ordering ISDN, but it's expensive, so I just want to make sure I'm making the right descision........
    I have UTVip FRIACO so dialup costs over ISDN shouldnt be a problem. (I'm aware that UTV only suports 1 64k channel on ISDN..........bandwidth isnt really a major problem for me anyway as long as it's above 40 or 45k, so I dont need the full 128k).

Will the fact that there's a line splitter also cut ISDN speed in half? (stupid question i know, but just wanna make sure).

Thanks everyone,
    andrew.

EEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH i feel so unclean ordering ISDN.......more money for the rat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Think you would be better of in Net / Comms m8.. always this type of question there, and you well get plenty of response.. Though i imagine you will get some response here also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

ive got a 64k/128k combo isdn modem for sale if your intrested

offical eirocm modem 2 minivgior or whatever its called

going cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Are you sure that you can get ISDN? If they have a splitter on your line I would have thought it unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

To try and answer your questions.

When you order ISDN, they will remove the splitter (shouldbt be there in first place). On ISDN you will /always/ connect at 64k. Thats what a digital line does ;)

You pay i think a €120 installation fee and then €38 per month for the 2 lines line rental.

You could first try to see if Eircom will remove the splitters, now dont ask them nicely but be forceful etc and go to ComReq if reuqired. (plenty of threads on this subject in the nets/coms forum and Ireland Offline, do a search for advice)

Once splitter is removed you could try DSL again (didnt know splitter stopped you from getting DSL). Did you try for RADSL as well or just ADSL? (RADSL is more likely to pass a line test...except in my case)

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    When you order ISDN, they will remove the splitter (shouldbt be there in first place). On ISDN you will /always/ connect at 64k. Thats what a digital line does ;)

WOOHOOO bye bye mr. splitter :D

You could first try to see if Eircom will remove the splitters, now dont ask them nicely but be forceful etc and go to ComReq if reuqired. (plenty of threads on this subject in the nets/coms forum and Ireland Offline, do a search for advice)

I already asked ComReg and Eircom about this, they said no, so I gave out to ComReg and Eircom about this, and they still both said no. Despite what everyone on these forums say, splitters ARENT illegal according to ComReg.

Once splitter is removed you could try DSL again (didnt know splitter stopped you from getting DSL). Did you try for RADSL as well or just ADSL? (RADSL is more likely to pass a line test...except in my case)

According to some guy on the nets/comms forum (FrankGrimes i think), splitters cause too much interference for ADSL. Also, the line test I'm using is the one on eircom;s website, and it says I cannot get ADSL....... Im fairly sure that includes RADSL aswell.

I'm gonna try and get them to remove that splitter one more time...........
    After that, I think I'll get ISDN

Thanks for the replies,
    andrew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

thats what comreg said when they thought i was on a splitter, they said its not illegal to have them on there

whether its tru or not i cant say

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Muck knows best, hes answered these threads so many times :p

Its not illegal for them to do it as such but it was kind of agreed that they wouldn't do it anymore...(read into that what you will)

People have managed to get rid of their splitters tho.

Things you could try (if u want dsl and have the money) is:
    a) get a new phone line in, ask the engineer not to install a splitter then test that for DSL.
    b) upgrade to ISDN then try to get DSL ( €120 install for isdn then the engineer install for DSL)

DSL and ISDN cost a similar price these days...
    ISDN: €38 line rental (2 channels) + €25-30 'flat-rate 180hrs' = Total of €63-68ish
    DSL: €22(?) line rental + 47-65 dsl rental =€69-€87 but depending on product and usage you could actually save money with a higher speed to boot.

the choice is yous..

Advertisement