Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL Line de-syncs

• 17-07-2003 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

I think i read a topic here before about this but i cant find it with searches.

Ive been having an ongoing issue with my adsl for the last few weeks. At random intervals, my line just de-syncs for no apparent reason. For about 30 seconds it cycles between idle and up and then returns to perfect service. Then it happens again, either 2 minutes later or up to 3 days later. It seems totally random.

Ive been on to the guys in support AND engineering about this and theyve been really good but i fear im getting to that brick wall stage where everything has been tried and its still happening.

Anyone come across this before?

(Line strength is perfect, router seems in GWO, DSLAM has been checked and fine)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I dunno about the eircom modems, nut the BT voyager 100 in the uk has a handy little proggie to test the attenuation level IE noise on the line, you could check that if its 59 db or above then there to much noise on the line and it dsyncs

Whether theres something like that on the eircoms dsl modems i juts don know

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The same happens here when there is somebody working accross the road in the exchange. It fixes itself within 2-3 minutes so I'm not very concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I think i read a topic here before about this but i cant find it with searches.

Ive been having an ongoing issue with my adsl for the last few weeks. At random intervals, my line just de-syncs for no apparent reason. For about 30 seconds it cycles between idle and up and then returns to perfect service. Then it happens again, either 2 minutes later or up to 3 days later. It seems totally random.

Ive been on to the guys in support AND engineering about this and theyve been really good but i fear im getting to that brick wall stage where everything has been tried and its still happening.

Anyone come across this before?

(Line strength is perfect, router seems in GWO, DSLAM has been checked and fine)

What modem/router you using in your setup?
    MK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daisy

I got my Eircom DSL installed on Tuesday, everything worked perfectly until this morning, when the DSL started de-synching also. It happens every 2 to 4 minutes (I've been keeping a log).

I called Eircom support and the woman recommended downloading new drivers for the modem (Zyxel Prestige 630-11). I downloaded them and un-installed the Eircom version, then tried to install the new drivers. No joy, my machine just started hanging. I inspected the drivers and they were an earlier build than those on the Eircom CD. However, I couldn't un-install completely, and couldn't re-install the drivers from the Eircom CD. Will need a system re-install before I can get it on again.

Anyhow, I installed the original (Eircom) set up on another machine, and am still getting the de-synching problem. Has anybody any clue?? Could it be them working on the exchange?? Tech support don't seem to have any idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by MadKevo
    What modem/router you using in your setup?
    MK

The same problem occurs with alcatel speed touch usb and a zyxel 600 series router.

Its not drivers (i can see it happening in a cmd prompt to the router - not driver related)

Its not line noise - My line is capable of up to 8 megs down, 1 meg up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daisy

Dustaz, you don't by any chance have a monitored alarm system?

The de-synching is so regular on my system that it feels like something is making a regular call across the data line, causing it to drop - if that makes sense?

no, the only extra thing on my line is a phone.

My de-synching is not regular tho, its totally random - Could be 2 drops in 2 mins or 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Dustaz, the next thing to do is rule out your DSL modem. Of course this entails somehow borrowing another one (make sure it's an ethernet one) and leaving it plugged in for a few days.

What current DSL modem/router are you using? I might have a spare ethernet one if Santy (or Logic1 as he is sometimes known) brings home that new DLink he has been going on about for a while.

Blam, ive done that. The same problem occurs with both the Alcatel Speedtouch usb fish yoke and the Zyxel router;.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Never trust the fish, it's just out to cod you. Check it with a second ethernet one just to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

I have the exact same problem - tried both the Zyxel (all drivers) and now the fish.

when the browser freezes (for about 1-2 mins) I can ping addresses fine

Really, really annoying !!

Anyone any ideas -somebody ina nother post was going on about a fixed proxy - dammed if I know

Buzz

Originally posted by Buzz_Irl
    I
    when the browser freezes (for about 1-2 mins) I can ping addresses fine

Its a different problem. It sounds like your line is not de-synced if you can ping addresses during this period. When this happens i cannot send or recieve any data due to the line not being synced.

Advertisement