Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to mod a rec dvd3000 player to multi-region

Options
  • 17-07-2003 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭

i bought a rec dvd3000 DVD player in powercity about 2 years ago and its brilliant, but i'm hoping to be able to make it multi-region. i can't find any info. on the net though. i reckon it's almost certainly made by another company so i opened it up and found 3 big circuits, one of which was full on panasonic chips. if anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Googling for the hardware ID found in Device Manager usualy brings up some results.
    But if you find yourself out of luck, there's always "DVD Region Free", costs about 40 dollars and works on both the hardware and software protection systems... worked great for me when I ran out of region changes on my old DVD drive.
    You can try the trial version aswell just to see if your system likes it.
    It beats frying your drive with dodgy firmware like I did a few months ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

its a home unit, its not attached to the pc in anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah right, I should have known from your mention of Power City, and use of the word "player" as opposed to "drive" :)
    That'll teach me to skim through posts!

I remember power city giving us some print-out of the required key-presses to unlock the region when we bought our player there, maybe they've still got some old codes lying around, assuming of course that unlocking on your player is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

It is that simple. Do a search. If you fail, I have it written down somewhere.

i searched for ages, found nothing. any advice welcomed

• Advertisement

Sorry mate, you've put this in an awkward spot, so didn't spot it initially when I looked for it.

I'll try and remember to hunt down the code tonight. Feel free to PM me tomorrow to remind me. I certainly have it, so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Found this a while back, needed it for another REC player. Might as well try it, shouldn't hurt. Tell us how ya got on.

o Switch on the player
    o Open the tray
    o push 'stop'
    o enter numerals 1 9 9 9
    o select region 'ALL'
    o exit from screen by pressing 'setup' button

No further region change should be needed! As will be able to play any region, without further fiddling.

nope, no luck. thanks anyway. anymore suggestions?

thanks for trying but they didn't work, my player isn't a phillips. thanks anyway

• Advertisement

Sh1t, sorry mate....that'll teach me to read threads properly. Your best bet is to include 'forum' in your search. That way you may come across someone like yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Howard Latimer

Hello. I too have the REC DVD3000 so if anyone has the unlock codes for it I would be so grateful for the information.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

This thread from dvdrhelp has this quote:
    I've got a REC DVD3000 player which i've chipped so that it's region free.

If someone's got a REC DVD3000 that's been chipped it's very unlikely that there's a firmware hack to make it multi-region.

IF you were to have it chipped it could cost more than buyiung a new MR one from powercity - the bloomin' things are cheaper than VCRs nowadays - Ah, the benefits of mass market acceptance..........

The Ritzzzzzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Howard Latimer

Hello again. I have some problems with my REC player. It won't play many films. They start ok, menu fine, then a few seconds in - pixel city. That is if they load. Some of them freeze the player without loading (Tank Girl, About a Boy etc.) The only film to play reliably so far is Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey! Is it a compatability issue or does my player have a problem? Is it worth trying to fix it? Finally does the decoder support DTS? will the coaxial digital out carry a DTS signal? (if I ever get the thing to play a DTS encoded soundtrack that is!) Any help or insight you might have out there will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

apologies first, since i have no idea what a rec player looks like, but i have a suggestion - it works for some other "lesser known" brands.

when you opened the player, does the DVD drive inside look like a 5.25" PC IDE DVD drive? in other words, has it got a 40-pin IDE cable and a 4-pin molex cable for power? if so, you could find out what the make of the actual drive is, look up a region-free firmware and upgrade it from any pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Try dvd ireland

If your unit is not listed call them, they're decent sorts !

Tinky

i know why there isn't any codes on the internet for my player. cos it's already a multi-region player. it has a little region 2 logo on the back but this obviously means sweet f.a. cos i'm watching a region 1 "ocean's eleven". so there you go, anyone who's got this player, feel free to buy cheap dvd's off the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

After all that ! Jebus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sneck

Are you sure about that? why didnt your previous attempts work?

Are you sure your not playing an any region VCD which the player does play?

The reason I ask is because I have this DVD and cant get mine to work... This is one of the only mentions of the player on the Net.

It is basicaly a chinese Panasonic as far as I can see, Even the menu screen is identical to my dads panasonic.

I hope there is a way to MR it otherwise I may sling it onto the Railway track :rolleyes:

hello everyone btw.

well i know i was definitely watching a region 1 version of ocean's 11. dunno if it's a fluke but it's unlikely. it'll also play dvd-r's but not cdr's, dunno why

• Advertisement

It may just be the disc. I've a region 1 special edition of unforgiven which plays on any player for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I know this applies to (most) PC DVD drives, not sure if it applies to your one, but I think I know why you can play a region 1 dvd in it...

DVD drives that say they are region locked can be switched 4 times (i think its 4 anyway), before they become permanently locked..... The drive probably switched automatically when you put in the region 1 DVD. (using up 1 change). When you put a region 2 in it again, itll switch back (using up another change). When it hits 4, it'll lock on you....

Keep searching the interweb and you might find something to help you... turned out you just needed to press play for a few seconds to completely reset my PC drive :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

DVD drives that say they are region locked can be switched 4 times (i think its 4 anyway)

It's 5 :)

The fifth time it swaps, thats the end. After that, it will never swap region again.

However, I have yet to see this being implemented on a stationary drive. I've seen it on many PC drives, but never a stationary.

Anyways, I've chipped my own players, but I've never had the one you mentioned. Right now I'm using the Harman Kardon DVD25 (excellent player, supports progressive scan etc).

Advertisement