Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demand will drive broadband, experts say

Options
  • 17-07-2003 10:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Demand will drive broadband, experts say
    Wednesday, July 16 2003
    by Matthew Clark

A new report, drawn up by the private sector and the Irish government, has identified what it will take to drive broadband demand.

The report, which was compiled by the Telecom Strategy Group (TSG), a government and private sector organisation that aims to figure out how to encourage people to use broadband, says Irish consumers are willing to embrace new technology when it is "clearly relevant to them."

Indeed, for several months a litany of reports have been delivered to the media and to the government from the likes of Forfas, IBEC and even IDC, all noting Ireland's low broadband availability and take-up, as well as suggestions on how to boost broadband availability.

But Dr George Young, co-chair of the TSG and the chairman of IBEC's Telecoms and Internet Federation (TIF), said that this new report, "Getting Ireland On-line," is different. "Unlike previous reports on this issue, today's report is not about the technology, but focuses on the benefits which broadband can bring, and the services which it can facilitate."

Speaking to ElectricNews.Net, Young said that the country's major telecoms are reluctant to invest in broadband in the current climate "unless they can clearly see a return on their investments." Creating a demand in the market for broadband, he said, would make the expensive roll-out of services like DSL a much more attractive move for the likes of Esat BT and Eircom, as well as smaller ISPs.

[...]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

God i love these reports, absolutely nothing new in them and missing the point completely.

On the one hand were not interested in Broadband according to various reports and on the other wed only take it up if its relevant to the public

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by shinzon
    God i love these reports, absolutely nothing new in them and missing the point completely.

On the one hand were not interested in Broadband according to various reports and on the other wed only take it up if its relevant to the public

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Shin
    It was pretty inevitable that demand would be indentified as the problem given the people who made up the committee.

Why, if demand was the problem, was broadband so expensive in Ireland. In normal circumstanses this means that supply is being restricted and is not meeting demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

The full report is available here The Minister's press release welcoming it is here and click on Dermot Ahern Welcomes Broadband Blueprint

As far as the recommendations are concerned, lightweight isn't the word for it.

Muck will be delighted to see that they have included as a key recommendation a point that he has emphasised on many occasions adequate ducting for cabling along roadways/pathways for broadband services should be included in new housing estates; planners, architects, and the construction industry should be encouraged to incorporate this into new developments even if they can only bring themselves to talk of encouraged rather than telling them to just do it.

Damage limitation: At least they appear to have steered clear of "public information campaigns" and that sort of twaddle. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the broadband in schools recommendation and the one relating to online Government services. But are these going to drive the take up of broadband??????

Appendix 3 has some interesting tables and graphs.

And a laughable "price comparison" chart in Appendix 3F - 11 countries EARLY 2003 prices, ireland shown as €50-€55 (can anybody tell me where you coud get broadband fro that price in EARLY 2003??) and still we are the most expensive country by a lenght and a half. Not to mention some hilarious stuff about the wonderful quality of our copper.

The real meat may be in the future - their Final Report will deal with Infrastructure and is due before the end of the year. See this from the last page of the main body of the report:
    Is Ireland’s Telecoms Infrastructure Adequate?
    In the final report it will be necessary to consider targets that are realistic for existing infrastructure, and to suggest the nature of any upgrades required. At the time of writing, the TSG considers that the technology solution best placed, in the short-term, to deliver nationwide broadband service is DSL, due to the penetration of the fixed network. Wireless and satellite technologies also have real potential to deliver broadband services widely. An initial review of existing networks is summarised as follows:
    • Mobile infrastructure
    This is generally on a par with other developed countries in Europe and world-wide. In addition, 3G roll-out looks likely to occur at a pace comparable to most peer economies.
    • Cable infrastructure
    Current cable infrastructure has been upgraded for the provision of digital television programme distribution but is, in the main, unsuited currently to the provision of broadband services. Parts of the network are being upgraded for the provision of broadband services; it is envisaged that this process will continue through 2004.
    • Copper telephone network
    This is generally seen as being on a par with most developed countries; although like many infrastructure networks, it will require ongoing investment to meet required standards of service. Overall, the network has a proven suitability for deployment of DSL-type technologies.
    • Main trunk networks
    These are generally seen as having adequate capacity, both in terms of international connectivity and in the context of coverage of most major population centres.

Note in particular that they are already protecting the interests of the telcos who form the main block of members on the committee the TSG considers that the technology solution best placed, in the short-term, to deliver nationwide broadband service is DSL Hardly surprising that they don't want any competition from Wireless, given the composition of the committee (which is listed in appendix 6)

What’s the betting that the final report will suggest mega bucks of handots to eircom, BT, et al. to roll out DSL...........

Overall …………a little bit done (and not too much damage) but an AWFUL LOT left to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

• Copper telephone network
    This is generally seen as being on a par with most developed countries; although like many infrastructure networks, it will require ongoing investment to meet required standards of service. Overall, the network has a proven suitability for deployment of DSL-type technologies.

And what developed countires would that be, outer mongolia, seriously heads up there own arses this lot

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

(Me being picky, but it does give a different slant ...)

The title for this is not quite right. The experts were asked to compile a report that "focuses primarily on measures that will increase the level of demand for broadband services in Ireland;". They were not asked what is needed to improve the general situation.

Is this an example of how subtle gov/media spin becomes?

• Advertisement

Just started to read bits of it, and it's strikes me ...

How many of these committees, boards, associations, reports, investigations, hearings does there have to be, before one of them says "Price!".

_edit_
    Broadband Service Prices are Falling, but are relatively high.
    In May 2003, the price of DSL services in Ireland fell significantly. Operators are now
    advertising DSL monthly subscription charges of approximately €50-€55, while current cable
    internet modem charges are €40 for an equivalent service. These new prices represent a
    substantial improvement, yet are higher than countries with more developed markets. For
    example, a DSL service is currently available nationally in the UK for STG£27 (approx. €40).
    (See Annex 3F for prices in other countries.) Recent market research (see Annex 3G)
    found that, at current pricing levels, 60% of the SME market and 15% of the residential
    market consider themselves “very likely” to subscribe to broadband services.

They say that Ireland is trailing due to delays in roll out ... then take a year to do a simple report. Why will it not be available till the end of the year? If we're to ctach up the situation will have had to move on significantly by then.

_edit_

ooh, the facts and figures and maps at the back look interesting. sorry about the train of thought diarrhea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Eircom vision statement for Ireland in 2007 on pages 42 and 43 of the report warmed the cockles of me heart. Pity Ardmore doesnt post in here any more, he seemed to be well up on the Eircom vision side of things :D

I also love the way they included the Western Digital Corridor in the map of infrastructure, can anyone shine any light on how that made it in ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Could it be that the experts are more concerned with what they will be driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

How many of these committees, boards, associations, reports, investigations, hearings does there have to be, before one of them says "Price!".

Nope! lets get it the right way round here....

AVAILABILTY!
    then...
    PRICE..

how can price be a factor if cant even smell the prodcut??

errcom could advertise the product for 1 yo yo a month.. but unless its available in your area, even if they where giving it away FREE! people still could not access it...
    so if old joe on the street cant get it in the 1st place..
    No WOUNDER! interest or take up is low!? :rolleyes:
    Also.. what these experts!? should also realise regarding availablity is, word of mouth will generate more interest governed by other users experience.
    as we know.. if a friend of a friend is happy he will recomend it to some one else and they inturn will recommend to someone else.. and b4 you know it there all talking about it and demand is overwhelming :D
    Now you got availabilty... NOW price will play a major part.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong, but eircom's dsl is now available to the majority?

Now I fully accept that that is not everyone, but you have to accept that it will only become more available after significant uptake of what is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

actually, it's NOT available to the majority. in fact, according to eircom.net its only available to a little over 700,000 lines across the country, which is just plain SAD on eircom's part.

sick, sad, corrupt monopoly-abusers. how about a leaflet-under-the-windscreen-wiper-campaign like EircomTribunal.com asks? :rolleyes: :ninja:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

according to eircom.net its only available to a little over 700,000 lines across the country, which is just plain SAD on eircom's part.

Well, it is and it isn't. Back in November 2002 there were 1.6 million PSTN lines and 330,000 ISDN lines, and that's unlikely to have changed much, except for a little churn between the two. Let's say it's up to 2 million lines in total at this stage, so Eircom's claimed figure certainly isn't a majority, but it's not that far from a majority either.

That's if we use Eircom's definition of "available" though, which we don't. A significant number of lines are failing tests [EDIT: I have a fair idea of the actual number, but I think it best if I don't put it here just in case. Plus I had it the other way around earlier!], and even if we give Eircom the benefit of the doubt, it's highly unlikely xDSL services are available on more than 500,000 lines. I'd wager that it's closer to 300,000 to 400,000. If not less.

[EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that we'll probably never find out the true figures, because if they were published, we'd be able to calculate the fail rate, and that would be costly for both Eircom [i]and[/i] Comreg. Eircom because they'd lose political leverage, and Comreg because it would demonstrate deriliction of duty. I hope IrelandOffline and the OLO's are working on this harmoniously.]

adam

Advertisement