Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindsweeper

Options
  • 17-07-2003 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Yes that game that comes with windows...

Has anyone even beaten it ? How do you do it ? I know the numbers mean there is a mine within that many squares but damn its hard!!!

I dont get the whole right clicking of things, whats that for ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i always hated minesweeper, dont know why but i could never really grasp the whole thing and just end up guessing and losing, no fun what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The number means that in the 8 squares surrounding that number there are that many mines. When you're sure a block contains a mine (eg: if the number is 2 and there are only 2 blocks surrounding it that you haven't clicked on) you right-click on that block to mark it with a flag, so you know the mine is there.

The trick at the start is to click a few places so that a space opens up. If you see a number 1 next to a corner piece then you know a mine is there so you can right-click on this. Also there's usually a few more 1s in the vicinity. For example if there's a number 1 next to that box that you've marked and next to a few other blocks then you can click on those boxes to get rid of them. Once you feel more confident you can start with 2s and 3s :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I beat it on the default settings. The annoying thing is that sometime during the game you have to rely on chance and that means 20 minutes of your time could be wasted by some stupid mine. Never played it again after I beat. I retired happy in the knowledge that i have conquered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

sometimes you can get round those chance situations by seeing how many mines you have left down in the status bar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was playing old school windows 95 version that didn't have the new technology of the status bar. Well I think it didn't. If it did then i didn't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

My record time for the small one was 7 seconds. My brothers was 5!! I think he had 32 on the middle one (I can't get below 80) and he got 99 on the large.
    He's bloody good at that game! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Glminesweeper tbh (see sig)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

how can someone not know how to play minesweeper or is this a joke ?
    Originally posted by damnyanks
    I dont get the whole right clicking of things, whats that for ?

if an uncovered square has a number in it e.g. 2 and you have marked 2 adjacent squares (all the bombs) you can then press both mouse buttons and all the other adjacent squares will be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I've beaten it a few times it can be a bit addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I LOVE MINESWEEPER! It's become an addiction. My best time on Expert is still only 91 seconds (WELL below the world record) but I'll get it someday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I beat it on the default settings. The annoying thing is that sometime during the game you have to rely on chance and that means 20 minutes of your time could be wasted by some stupid mine. Never played it again after I beat. I retired happy in the knowledge that i have conquered it.

FFS! I thought you were hardcore! :mad:

I was young and foolish at the time. And then i rediscovered ultra tough arcade blasting with axelay. It set me down the ugly path of dirty hardcore games and nights in the gutter begging for money just for another fix of Killer Instinct.

Advertisement