Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan

• 17-07-2003 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I have recently been proved as to the existance of cavan when my GF got a job there. :)
    Looks like ill be moving near a place called ballyjamesduff. Anyone know what its like? I can work from home but i need a good web connection. Is DSL available there?

Al

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

erm... cavan's in the north east... ;)

afraid i can't tell ya much about bally'duf, its not a place i frequent
    too often.

and i imagine the fictional place you were thinking of is Carlow, not
    Cavan :p

map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

As we are not allowed beyond Lough Sheelin, could one of you kind gentlemen see this lad as far as Ballyjamesduff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No worries, Occidental, Hi Figment.

Balladuff, as the yokels call it, is a middlling large town in Cavan, in the top 5 there. There are three ways of getting to it, either turning left (R194) at the diamond in Virginia (N3), or contunue north on the N3 towards Cavan, about 5 miles and there is a left for Ballyjamesduff. From the west, take the N55 Athlone-Cavan road, and take the R194 in Granard.

The population is around 800, its a market town, with a mart, so you are guaranteed one day a week that the main street will be covered in .... No big shakes facilities wise, no large supermarket, plenty of pubs, The Springs is not too far away... but no experience of them to say what they are like (except that the Springs was theee place when I was 16 on Saturday nights, not at 17 :D)

As for DSL... Haha.... Cavan town itself will be getting DSL, according to Eircom, but if any other town in Cavan gets DSL in the next 3 years, may I borrow PN's Cavan jersey and go to a Meath match in it! ISDN or 56k, mate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Thank you :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by DMC
    Balladuff, as the yokels call it, is a middlling large town in Cavan, in the top 5 there.
    Em... Sorry I have to correct you there DMC, it is'nt in the top five, it is only in the top ten and is only around the same size as Shercock tbh. Everything else is accurate. :)

By the way, you can have my jersey for free if you want it. I don't want to be seen in it after this years performances! :D

• Advertisement

That got me wondering, PN, in a good way, so I checked out the census.

You are right, its not top 5 material, Virginia is ahead B'duff, which is now 7th behind Cavan town, Cootehill, Baileborough, Kingscourt, and Belturbet.

Shercock ranks behind Mullagh, in 12th. Mullagh ffs! :D:D

BTW, PN, it was all part of the master plan, convince Cavan GAA that a Meath man was right for the job, give them Kerrigan, with the remit to **** up Cavan GAA good and proper! :D Oh how we laffed at his "good" work down here! :D:D

Originally posted by DMC
    That got me wondering, PN, in a good way, so I checked out the census.

You are right, its not top 5 material, Virginia is ahead B'duff, which is now 7th behind Cavan town, Cootehill, Baileborough, Kingscourt, and Belturbet.

Shercock ranks behind Mullagh, in 12th. Mullagh ffs! :D:D

BTW, PN, it was all part of the master plan, convince Cavan GAA that a Meath man was right for the job, give them Kerrigan, with the remit to **** up Cavan GAA good and proper! :D Oh how we laffed at his "good" work down here! :D:D
    No way! That can not be right DMC! Mullagh?! You are kidding. Seriously, There are more people in Shercock. There has to be unless they all live in the one house in Mullagh and count cows as children.

And Kerrigan is gone now thank God. But having to put up with the likes of Larry Reilly, Dermot McCabe and Anthony Forde would be enough to put anyone out of their job.

Have a shifty through this.... Page 49 of the file is what you need to look at.

Originally posted by DMC
    Have a shifty through this.... Page 49 of the file is what you need to look at.
    That was a year ago DMC. There has been at least 20 houses been built in town since then. And there is six families of Phillipinos that have moved into two of those houses so that would give us an extra 20 people. So to hell with Mullagh! :D

And that Ballyhaise figure cannot be correct unless they're counting all the people who go to their little farming college over there. They shouldn't be in the census.

Well, technically, they should, if they stayed overnight on the census night, which is normally a Sunday.

Mullagh is being developed big time at the mo, 20 houses bulit in since 2001, PP and construction underway for 40 more.

(pause) /me is pondering why the **** I'm defending Mullagh. :confused::confused:

Na, seriously mate, Mullagh is bigger now than Shercock. You should take a gander around. When was the last time you were in Mullagh? I was in Shercock about 2 months ago, and I wouldve said that its on a par with Mullagh.

• Advertisement

/me puts in planning permission for 7,000,000 houses in the Shercock area. That'll show those Mullagh bastards! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I hate Cavan, it's full of nothing but crappy little towns. It's not in the north east either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Cavans an awful hole. It is in the NorthEast though.
    Kingscourt ..... where to start really?
    It does nothing but rain. Theres potholes everywhere. The locals are all very strange.

louth and meath are the north east. I know some parts of Cavan appear to be close to the north east but it is known as a part of the north west like monaghan is.

Anyway it's an awful place.

Originally posted by mise_me_fein
    Anyway it's an awful place.
    Where have you been to make such a hasty judgement and why do you make that judgement?

Originally posted by embee
    Cavans an awful hole. It is in the NorthEast though.
    Kingscourt ..... where to start really?
    It does nothing but rain. Theres potholes everywhere. The locals are all very strange.
    Seems you are just going on the old stereotypes there. I can't remember seeing a pothole in Cavan in the last five years. Last time it rained was.... em I can't remember. Define "strange".

I've been to bailieboro(not too bad), canningstown(noting there - not really a town), cootehill(psycho town and bad roads on the way), shercock(need I say more) and of course kingscourt that drug spot...............i'm tellin ya it's a terrible place.

Originally posted by mise_me_fein
    I've been to bailieboro(not too bad), canningstown(noting there - not really a town), cootehill(psycho town and bad roads on the way), shercock(need I say more) and of course kingscourt that drug spot...............i'm tellin ya it's a terrible place.
    Out of all of them Bailieborough is probably the worst. A terrible scumhole.

Canningstown doesn't really count at all.

I agree with your comments on Cootehill.

There is nothing wrong with Shercock. I've lived there my whole life and I've never had any problems with it.

Kingscourt is not that bad now. It used to be a terrible spot with all the drugs and that, I think that has been dealt with. The people I know from Kingscourt are sound as hell. And I know alot of people from Kingscourt.

Where do you live?

ardee

I'm sure you have your fair share of junkies and scumbags in Ardee am I right?

• Advertisement

Not really, it's a fairly decent town.

The road from Drumcondrath to Kingscourt is full of potholes.
    When you cross the border into Cavan at the level crossing, there are potholes. Dire ones.
    In the winter, it rains more there than it does in other places.
    Everytime Ive been in Kingscourt (which is quite a lot as my mate lives there) it has been raining.
    The people are strange in that they stare at "blow-ins" (not my word, someone in Kingscourt called me that for no reason) like we have three heads. I seem to recall a woman in that POXY super valu muttering under her breath "fancy Dubliners with their big ideas" in my general direction.

I am not a Dubliner. I dont have "big ideas".

Hence - the locals are strange.

Ardee doesnt have a drug problem. Most of the drugs coming into Ardee come from either Kingscourt or Dundalk. Kingscourts reputation for being rough and full of scumbags doesnt come from thin air. My uncle used to play trad sessions in Freemans in Kingscourt but has since stopped because he hates the fact that theres so many "scummy druggies" (once again, not my words) in such a tiny little village.

Most of that Drumcondrath to Kingscourt road is in Meath. And I don't ever recall the locals in Kingscourt staring at me in a different way to any other town. They are all the same. Carrick, Kells, Dunshaughlan, Ballybay, 'Blayney etc etc.

As I have said. Kingscourt has tackled its drug problem. Meaning it isn't half as bad as it used to be.

To be honest I have not stopped off in Ardee long enough to see the sights and sounds of the place. But I'm pretty sure that it is the same as every other town in Ireland.

yeah it is the same as most towns, but most towns in Cavan are fúcked up in my opinion.......Carrick is a good town it's lively. There's nothing to talk about in Ballybay.

To be honest, Carrickmacross I think is the main reason why Kingscourt has so many scumbags. Most of the "druggie scum" as you put it, are educated in Carrickmacross which plays a huge part in the life they live because of the friends they mix with at secondary level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 9908361u

Its unfair to judge a county on one town. Kingscourt is only a small part of cavan and shouldn't represent the whole county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lavey is great. Everyone should drink in the Bent Elbow! If you're ever there, ask for Trev!!

Lemlin wrote:
    Lavey is great. Everyone should drink in the Bent Elbow! If you're ever there, ask for Trev!!
    I know a few girls from over in that direction. But more towards Clifferna... Fit. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In the Rudden's shop area? I know a few from there myself.

Advertisement