Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL v Sat Connection

• 17-07-2003 2:23pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine is mad into an Europe On-line Sat service info here since he heard about it a few days ago.
    its capp[ed @ 1GB webpage access per month and 1GB download files for the net.
    But they allow unlimited access to there "fetch" file service.

He won't believe us when we say its inferior to ADSL (the ADSL in question is EsatBT 512K NO CAP Business Package for €90 a month)

Can anyone back me up on this one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

Xbox Live will not work on satellite broadband, nor is XBL supported by MS if it uses a satellite connection. So if he has any plans on playing Xbox Live, tell him to go for ADSL or RADSL as they work, and are supported by MS.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah he has no plans at all for X-Box, PC mainly and mainly used for downloading stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Latency is the killer here.

A signal bounced up to a satelite and back down to earth can take up to 300ms. Thats your first hop, add the usual latency from the isp's core network to where you want to go on top of that.

You can forget online gaming of any sort (except turn based games or really slow non actiony type stuff) as it will be so horrible it will make you cry.

Surfing mostly text based pages will be quicker over an analogue modem (due to lower latency and low size of the page) but youll see a boost in speed for heavy flash sites and anything that uses a medium to large amount of graphics.

The fetch service sounds cool but as far as I know its not an on demand service, so I cant download it NOW, but i can set it to fetch and ill have it sometime soon im sure. I could be incorrect here as Ive only heard about it second/third hand :)

And you have a 1gb cap per month, if its just browsing your doing then you should be ok as anything downloaded by fetch is not included, but still, ick.

remember fetch cant do file sharing, if he plans on using file sharing applications for his downlaoading of assorted linux iso's then thats taken out of his download cap and not his fetch service.

Just get your friend to make sure its right for him, I cant find costs for the initial set up fee but the monthly cost is quite cheap from the looks of the info on that link.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah I believe he doesn't get the fact he can't fetch himself the latest film or something.
    to be honest its only good for fetching from ftp sites and gettiong linux iso's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well , i have dsl and europe online..believe me its a LOT better for some things...than adsl.

Shouldnt be to hard to google what i'm talking about.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i wouldnt touch that service

1gig a month ! thats carzy their,s no way in the world you could easy stay below that even if it is only for web pages (crist Alienware site is cap hungery)

If i had the money (and time to battle esat) i would get their 90 euro amonth uncapped fast service much better pings and such

or netsources
    or the one im useing now Esat bt Iol broadband

all would be better than that sat server

Advertisement