Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxford English Dictionary FAQ

• 17-07-2003 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody!
    I still have a wasp in my cap about bad spelling, grammar, and punctuation since the last time I posted here. I really want to reach out and murder someone every time I see apostrophes where they're not supposed to be, and people writing "were" when they mean "where". I really hate having to re-read a sentence to see if substituting another word will allow it to make more sense. It really is quite a phenomenon how having to do that makes my blood pressure rise so quickly.

Recently, I wanted to find out if there was a difference between the words "learned" and "learnt". I found this: http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/
    There are some very good explanations of some other things there too. I sincerely hope some of these language-crucifiers stumble across this forum and "learn" themselves something.

Oh, and eh, discuss etc...

Advertisement