Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Vice City" to Xbox, this year

Options
  • 17-07-2003 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Taken from IGN.com

"Sources report that Rockstar's mega-money maker Grand Theft Auto: Vice City will be coming to the Xbox, possibly as soon as this holiday season.

As many insiders know, the Grand Theft Auto series is supposed to be PlayStation 2 console exclusive, however sources reveal that Rockstar is circumventing the agreement by stripping the Xbox version of the title Grand Theft Auto, and simply repackaging the game as Vice City.

Back in May, Take Two's CEO Jeffrey Lapin spoke about a major Rockstar title in development for the Xbox during the company's quarterly conference call with analysts. "We said that there will be an Xbox SKU from Rockstar in the first quarter of the fiscal year 2004 [Nov. to Jan.]," Lapin said, "but we're not going to comment on what it is at this point." It now looks like Vice City is that game.

Vice City's gameplay will be identical to the PC version that recently shipped, and might also include additional features like custom soundtracks and downloadable content."

This is very good news as Vice City's a great game. Why don't we share the love?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

thats a pretty sneaky way to milk some cash out of it this crimbo.
    afaik their deal with sony ends at the end of the year, they would've missed the most profitable holiday by then tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Originally posted by Unknown
    Taken from IGN.com "Sources report.....possibly..."

'nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Yeah, saw this on Eurogamer earlier on today. Check out the comments too.

I tend to agree that this isn't really a *huge* master stroke by M$. I mean, most folks (myself excluded) own a PS2, and those I know that do have one, own GTA: VC already.

Not only that but it's out on the PC too!

Sony probably don't give two hoots. They're rolling in the money Rockstar's made for them they can afford to let this pass. Emm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

WOW VICE CITY, thats only been out from before christmas, and its on two game platforms. the xbox has done well to get such a fresh title!

everyone will by an xbox to play a game they've had for half a year. well done microsoft, you look set to rule the world with this console of yours.

now that's sarcasm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the hardware may be but the software is not a patch on the line up of the ps2 or the gamecube.
    A catalogue consiting mainly of every iteration that ea's franchise machine can regurgitate, soul-less "sports entertainment" games, generic beat-em ups, bland american style action games, bad pc ports and DOA xtreme beach vollyball is not better than anything with the possible exception of the nintendo virtual boy.

Its a scientificaly proven fact that the japanese make the best computer games and when you make a machine that is larger than the average japanese person you kind of cut yourself out of that market. no japanese = very few good games. although maybe microsoft can squeeze a good game out of the dead horse that is rare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

That could turn out very badly. The PC version requires a beast of a PC with lots of memory.

Rockstar had to completely rebuild State of Emergency for the Xbox. The way it was designed was so PS2 specific that was the only way they could get a decent framerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

Man, I really don't care if Grand Theft Auto: Vice City has been out on the PS2 for a year. Its the only game that would entice me to purchase a PS2, and now that the game is coming to Xbox it puts those decisions aside. Its a great game and I think it will become a welcome addition to the Xbox library.

DiscoStu has hit the hail on the head on the Xbox, albeit a bit too harshly. One word: Halo, a truely excellent game. If it wasn't for Halo, I believe the Xbox would be obsolete by now. After that Microsoft has made some very, very bad decisions on developing games (ie. Aziruk). And still, apart from Halo, theres nothing thats really stands out.

And in a record, I have one, just one japanese Xbox game (Panzer Dragoon Orta). Thats just crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

The only thing atm thats keeping the XBOX alive is the fact that M$ can throw good money after bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Kensutz and Tusky, your posts have been deleted. Usual warning, flame like that again and I'll ban you, blah blah, you know the drill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was going to comment but Discostu took the words right out of my mouth. He even said 'bland american style action games' which I say a lot :D

All the reasons he stated are exactly why I'll probably never buy an xbox and why in my opinion they really are not worth the money when you can get a GC or PS2. For gods sake a DC would be better.

I hope they don't just use the code from the PC version which was a really bad coonversion of the PS2 game. How annoying was it when a nice car drove past and when it was out of line of sight it disappeared into the ether.

• Advertisement
Advertisement