Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting two routers

Options
  • 17-07-2003 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Never done this before, and i was wondering if there are any pitfalls i nconnecting two routers of different manufacturers together. Things is i have a normal router, and i'm thinking of gettign a wireless one as well. If this wont work i'll just go for the bridge, but the router/ bridge are very closely priced, so i might as well go for the router if i can.

Btw any problems using a different make of wireless PCI card to the make of the router?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If both devices have four LAN ports and a WAN port then should be no problem - since you can bypass routing on one of them if needed by choosing the appropiate port, though you may need a crossover cable. ie. use one as a hub/switch and the other as a router.

If the wireless router is suitable by it'self then you could always sell the other one... (which makes the bridge the expensive choice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I figured i would need a cross over cable. This could be a real pain in the ass for running a file server, with port forwardign and all.(strictly legal stuff)

1 x network host - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 i take it that would be the lan port? so i just connect the second router as if it was a hub? cross over cable from one of the ethernet ports to the lan port on the wireless. Very tempted jsut to sell my current one, but its abite of a waste and i don't need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

What kind of router is it? I might be interested.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

linksys 8 port. I don't know if i'd sell it though, security and all that

Advertisement