Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thrills

Options
  • 17-07-2003 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

OK if I said there was a band out of Cork who sang with Liverpool accents and dressed as people from Liverpool do. You'd think it a bit silly I’m sure, not very credible.

If I said there was a band from Dublin and they sang with Californian accents and dressed like Californians do. You'd think it more stupid considering we’ve probably have a lot more in common with Liverpool than California.

So what I'm getting too is, I like The Thrills but aren't they just Insincere with a capital I. For album number two will they take on a Liverpudlian/Beatlesque persona maybe? They sound good but I think they are an example of what a record company can do if they are committed to promoting a band.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i like the sound, fook the politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

They sound a bit bland to me.
    For album number two will they take on a Liverpudlian/Beatlesque persona maybe?
    No its going to be a detroit or new york persona
    also why does the singer always sing with his head at a 45 degree angle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    They sound a bit bland to me.

yeah your probably right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they're great. their album is brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I like the album, but I see what you are getting at; What will album number two be like?

Will they suffer from the same disease that so many good Irish acts down the years suffer from, the second album syndrome?

If it sounds too much like the first, do a cranial-rectum inversion on themselves with fame, or it sounds so far from the first that it risks alienating the fans they've built up, then they are onto the quick slide to anonymity from which they came.

I hope for their sakes, as they are good, that this doesn't happen. But if their 3rd album has as much hype as a Harry Potter book or anticipation of a Radiohead album, then, and only then have they achieved.

No pressure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

heh .. i read somewhere that it's as ridiculous as a band in california playing uileann pipes & singing about skibbereen & sligo
    true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

the way it goes with irish bands is one of two ways:
    a) the jj72 route
    b) the frames route

a) basically you get heralded as the next big thing, until the next big thing comes along (second album, what second album?)
    b) you continue to be the big fish in the little pond, inspiring people along the way that actually just sound exactly like you do but they make it in the states cos they're younger and prettier.

its sad to think that this is the way of things.

as for the thrills, i was bored of em before they even released the album (saw them support turn, thought they were good, heard a fanning session, thought they were good, heard the singles, thought it sounded like the session stuff only more polished - this wasn't the same song now (not a case of session of 'song x' then album versin of 'song x' - completely different songs that all ended up sounding generic.))

i don't like the beach boys either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Thing is JJ72s second album wasn't bad at all but seemed to get zero promotion from the record company, looks like they are finished now.
    Theres a whole sort obsession with Frames and their songwriting satellites and thats getting really boring. People speak of Damien Rice et al with orgasmic passion and drool on their chins.......get real. These aren't the new hope, they're not bad but they've been elevated in status way above their ability......hometown prejudice.
    Your right that this hunger for the next big thing is absolutely stifling, i don't think the music scene here is very healthy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'm a big fan of the thrills, love their sound. They're hardly alone among irish bands in not sounding irish. I've nothing against them sounding like californians.

I don't like the Frames, not one little bit. Always seemed quite uninspired and second rate to me. I know people who are absolutely enamoured with them, can't see it myself.

As for damien rice, he's a decent singer songwriter, perhaps a bit over rated.

I'd disagree with comet's assesment of the Irish music scene at the moment. I think its in its healthiest state for years. We have bands like The Jimmy Cake, Boa Morte, Turn, The Thrills, Damien Rice, The Tycho Brahe, Ten Speed Racer, The Waiting Room, Redneck Manifesto, Connect Four Orchestra, Warlords of Pez, Woodstar, Giveamanakick, Jape, David Kitt etc etc. Doing fairly well for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94884&highlight=thrills

My idea of hell is sitting in a pub next to David Kitt & that guy from 'No Disco' whilst the entire Thrills album is played over the P.A.

It happened yesterday. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I really hate the Thrills. They're bland, they're boring, their lyrics absolutely stink and they haven't an ounce of originality in their music. They sound like Beach Boys lite. And where did they come from? I don't think I ever heard of them gigging round the country in the past few years.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who cringed when they were called 'the hottest Irish band around' at glasto...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Just listening to their album now.

Fittingly enough the first line of the song "Just Travelling Through" sums it all up "If this sounds phoney....." well yeah, it does

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Alot of their songs sound too alike for my liking. They are getting more credit than they deserve.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Thrills are good/ok. With a major behind them they got a little two big a little two fast.

And because they had a major behind them a lot of people (I’m not saying everyone) in or fans of the Irish underground were instantly pissed of with them.

Like all music - Giving them a bit of a chance to prove their talent might be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 philhutchy

the thrills are the best thing in irish music at the moment, they will crack america to become the biggest irish band ever, no question. this time next year they will be well on their way and will be around for a long time. as for the sound, there is no rule book to irish music, you can not condem a band for their origionality or where would the future be for this industry. i applaude the change of sound they have introduced or reintroduced as it may be. the album is great, easy listening and gives me a buzz every time i turn it on. hail to the thrills!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I dont like them, they're dull.

Dont worry, come album number 2, nobody will care.

Advertisement