Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this UTV XL dialler thingy ?

Options
  • 17-07-2003 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Ok I've just signed up for UTV IP lite (the €10 per month jobby).

We're not connected up yet but I downloaded and ran the setup program. I already hate the UTV dialler. It has moved my home page and it has put a banner across the top of internet explorer which I don't want (It takes a registry hack to get rid of this).

Do I really need to use UTV's dialler? As far as I can see it doesn't do anything other than dial a number, which I can easily do myself using windows. If I bypass this and use Internet Explorer's dialler am I missing out on something, possible a proxy setting or worse will I not get the flat rate? Anyone know?

By the way I did a pretty thorough analysis of our phone bills before I switched over. We are only moderate internet users and I was worried about any increase in the cost of non-internet calls.

You may be interested to know that in my analysis UTV's voice call charges are coming out about €2 per month higher than Eircom's but the big saving on internet (€10 to €15) per month more than compensates for this. UTV's per minute rate is 25% cheaper than Eircom's but UTV's set-up charge and Eircom's options discounts all contribute to making Eircom the winner for voice calls (for us anyway).

I don't use Eircom for international calls and I won't be using UTV either - There are much cheaper options out there than either of these two.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Use the windows dial up dialogue I do and I know others here also give the dialer a wide berth. Just use the correct number

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Originally posted by mike65
    Use the windows dial up dialogue I do and I know others here also give the dialer a wide berth. Just use the correct number

Mike.

Thanks for the reply Mike65. I am dialling direct using IE's dialler and everything seems to be working hunky dory but I found the following Q&A on UTV's website (among the FAQs):
    From UTV's Faq

Q. Do I have to use the dialer in order to use UTVip?

A. No, it is not essential to use the dialer software but we strongly recommended that you do so.
    If you are unable to use the dialer then you need to set your connection to dial 1893 242 242.

By not using the dialer then the quality of service during peak times cannot be guaranteed.

What does this mean?

Is there some hidden setting ( perhaps a proxy setting) that the dialler provides? Anybody know?

Advertisement