Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB modems strain on PC?

• 17-07-2003 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, back when I was going for a 56k modem.. I was highly advised not to go for a usb 56k modem, as it was suppoed to put alot of strain on the CPU? and my games performances would drop (and I have a week system.. p3 500 128ram kyro2 64mb) just wondering is this the same with the USB broad band modems?, and if so what is the best modem so it doesnt strain your PC. For modems it used to be a 'software' controled vs a 'hardware' controled, and it was better to go for the hardware controlled ones. Is this the same with the bb modems?

Should I be looking for a hardware adsl modem? independatly working and taking nothing for the PC? are the usb modems ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well i only have a 1 gig duron with 128meg of ram.......... and theirs no problum with the usb modem that came from esat

though to be honest i dont know how a usb modem wiil effect your pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

It depends on the usb modem. If the modem does all of the work necessary and just uses the usb port for data transfer and power then its not going to affect your cpu that much.

If the drivers for the modem however offload processing of data to the cpu then it can take up a few percent of your cpu cycles.

The "equivalent" to the software/hardware in adsl modem land would be ethernet/usb.

Ethernet is purely for transferring data so all of the data processing _has_ to take place on the modem as opposed to the pc, so your cpu wont take a hit.

I havent heard of it being a problem for anyone though, and it doesnt have nearly as bad an affect as a winmodem has on an analogue connection, ive used some pretty crappy pc's with very basic usb adsl modems and its been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the computer we use in my house as the gateway is a p3 500 with one of the alcatel usb adls modems. during normal use there is no drop in performance. only if the upstream is saturated does any hit occour. however that will not happen very often unless you like p2p or choose to run a web server and try your damndest to get slashdotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Thanks people, sounds good enough as to say USB wont do that much damage.. just what i was hopeing to here.

Advertisement