Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Praising Eircom!

Options
  • 17-07-2003 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I movied back to Dublin, got a place near Rathmines. Phone line connected, number wasn;t valid for broadband, failed the test online at the website. They said they'd send an engineer out in 2-3 weeks to have a look at it.

So, next day I called and bitched about the phone quality for voice. 1 hour and 50 minutes later and Eircom guy was outside at the line. So he looks at it (it was legitimately bad - static and crap on line, sometimes getting 50.6kbit, sometimes 19.6kbit.

I asked him about DSL and that the lady on the phone said it wouldn't pass, and would that be a problem now. He went off to the van, got out the SideKick tester and had a look, no problems he said. Next day, I check Eircom's side, and my line is registered as suitable for broadband.

So then I called Netsource who are giving me ADSL service.

All in all, very prompt correction from Eircom, probably unintentionally so. Interestingly however, the next day, Eircom called and said that they were setting me up my username and password. I told them no, but well done Eircom for getting my line sorted quickly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i had the engineer man out to look at my line once and he said it was the best it could possibly be. hence the 16,800bps connection (sometimes it drops to 14,400bps) :mad:

no praise for Eircom from me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

no praise for the **** jockeys here!

5 days waiting for an isdn line to get installed & then being told that we're too far away from the exchange.

they've suggested getting an isdn line installed twice since then:rolleyes:
    stop teasing meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Capt. Trips - congrats on getting it sorted, and fair enough they did sort it - but the first thing you have to ask is why wasn't it installed correctly in the first place ?
    Next have to wonder if that guy hadn't have checked for BB would your line have been on the list of passed lines the next month and if so would you have ever heard about it.........

I think I'll try and get them to sort out my line, it's not great, but I reckon it was the guy that owned the house before me, he was a bad DIY freak and I don't think the line is terminated correctly in the house.......hope you don't have any problems with Eircom harassing you every couple of weeks about going with them for BB as I had them calling out to the house and ringing constantly for three months when I went with UTV..........now apparently we are off their list - but you just don't know with them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

tman, did you insist on them doing a manual test, or did you just take their word for it?

I had an engineer out last year to install ISDN (I had to call them every day for 2 months to get him out in the first place), so when he said you are too far away I wouldn't let him leave. Guess what? After doing a manual test, it turns out ISDN works fine. I am about 4-5 miles from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have isdn at home for the past 2 years. Was just wondering because i can get isdn does it also mean i can get dsl ?. I live a little bit out from waterford cit and never looked into getting dsl due to me thinking i was 2 far away and isdn was the best i could get. Anyone know ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Guess what? After doing a manual test, it turns out ISDN works fine. I am about 4-5 miles from the exchange.
    yeah, well we're about 15-16 miles from the exchange:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

ISDN will work over that distance, but they would need to stick a repeater box on the line.

Advertisement