Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Snoopers, Road Angels and Sat Nav

Options
  • 17-07-2003 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts, recommendations on these detectors/info systems.

1. Are they legal?
    2. Do they work?
    3. Does Ireland publish Sat Nav co-ords for Gatsos and the like??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've no idea about satellite systems but radar detectors are illegal to use in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Under Irish law, any device capable of detecting speed monitoring equipment is illegal. This would seem to leave a loophole for devices that use maps to tell you where speed cameras are, since there's no detection involved, simply cross-referencing your position with the map.

The road angel is a great idea, but I don't know if anyone has done maps for Ireland. The last I heard was that satnav maps for Ireland were scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Has anyone published where these cameras are. The position of Gatsos I would have thought would have to be published. Certainly I would have thought that would have been the basis of a FOI request.

I'm concerned that plans to privatise speed camera operation will lead to a situation like the clampers in Dublin (Profit over fairness)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A taxi I was in had sat nav. Cost him €2,000.
    Originally posted by MadsL
    Certainly I would have thought that would have been the basis of a FOI request.
    The Garda isn't covered by the FOI, otherwise all the crooks would be looking for their personal files :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by MadsL
    I'm concerned that plans to privatise speed camera operation will lead to a situation like the clampers in Dublin (Profit over fairness)
    Surely you mean efficieny over getting the local TD to quash the summons.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Chimaera
    Under Irish law, any device capable of detecting speed monitoring equipment is illegal.
    I believe that the law actually states that you can own, hold, fondle, whatever but can't use these devices!

Advertisement