Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquidation Sale in Drogheda

Options
  • 18-07-2003 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

got a flyer through my door today about a liquidation sale in the Europa Hotel in Drogheda next Sunday between 6pm - 9pm...

It basically said that there was €1 Million worth of stuff to be sold...

Some Examples:

Sony, LG, Philips 28" 30" 32" TV's - €100
    Sony and Nintendo consoles - € 35
    PS2 games - €2
    JVC Surround Sound System - €45
    Sony MiniDisc - €5

This sounds too good to be true....

Anyone know anymore about it etc....

Is it dodgy gear...

Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Usually most of this stuff isnt dodgy - but it is rejects that have been fixed up

As far as i know places like this charge 5 or 10 euro to come into the place to even look about - cover the cost of renting the hall is what they say

u can get some good stuff at them - but if u have a problem ur goosed - let me know how it went if u go to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah will do...

i think it said on it that the stuff is from a catalogue company that went under.. so the stuff should be ok....

it'll be interesting to see how many bargains can be picked up...

anyway we'll see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Sometimes these can be kinda scamesque basicly what they do is have certain people in the crowd to get the products they advertised for their insane low "liquidation" prices when in fact they will be going right back to them after however they will have a load of cheap ****e which they will sell on to the dozens of people who have paid the 5 or 10 or whatever they charge to bid.
    therefore they actually come out with a descent days takings and have probably got rid of half the defective crap in korea.

or i could be wrong and it is genuine just be carefull though

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Well, sorta....

I've been to these before. Usually if you read the fine print on the leaflet is says that these are the reserve prices for the goods and that they will be auctioned. The will also have other stuff at less reasonable prices too -- that you can buy.

Basically, you come to the event with cash in hand, with the intention of walking out with a fancy new TV (or whatever). You get there and realise the deal. Human nature and desire kick in. You either end up buying something that you didn't really want with the cash you brought, or your desire and anticipation get the better of you and you fork out a larger sum for what attracted you in the first place.

I remember going to one of these a few years ago. Thought I was gona get my self a fancy pants 28" wide screen TV for buttons. I was a little dissappointed -- as you can imagine!

Go along, you'd never know -- but be warned, you aint gona get the sorta deals you might like to believe you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i was going to dublin anyway so i stopped by to see what the story was.. it was an auction and it was packed full of fugees trying to get cheap fridges and stuff.. couldnt be arsed queueing so we went....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Usually the way these things work is that the prices advertised are the starting prices for the auction. Generally they know what they want to get for the goods and it's pretty easy to take the auction to that price and stop it there. You'll usually have to pay the auctioneers fee (probably 15%) and VAT (21) on top of wherever the auction stops. You usually will get quite a bit of cheap gear there - it's just a matter fo whether you want it or not. There's nothing illegal about it - there's one main company running most of these things and they're pretty upfront about how it works. Usually it's 2 or 3 euros to get in - technically you're buying the catalogue (which is usually a printed sheet). You will not get a big telly for half nothing but if you were going to spend a few grand you'll probably get one at a big discount. There's quite a bit of cheap crap on sale as well (again cheaper than you'd expect to pay). You won't save any money on kettles or sandwich makers though.

Advertisement