Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource Ping Problem

Options
  • 18-07-2003 12:06am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's just me, or are other netsource customers suffering from this. Haven't seen anyone else complaining. Thing is, dl speeds, etc, all perfect. But some days, time doesnt matter, could be early morning or late at night when I'm playing a game and the ping suddenly shoots from 40 to 200, for about 1s and back down, happens every 30s or so. Quite annoying, happens on any server, Irish, UK or European. So, is it just me?

PS. I cannot get this to manifest itself in a dos ping...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

im haveing a different prob with IOLBB

bad speed and d/l speed good ping :( but only for 2day hopefuly be ok in the morn

And maybe your problum is with the server itself ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

As i said bismark, any server.

hmmmmmmm maybe its 56ker,s on the server then again it seems more likey that netsources are sliping down the hill again

i wonder could it have to do with your computer ? maybe your rig isnt powerful anuff to play some game,s with a lot of player,s the drain on the cpu might make it lag up you did say its only in games this happens

Trust me bizmark, it's a) not my computer since it's a behometh, b) i dont play on public servers for CS, the game I play, and seeing as it happens on empty servers I doubt it's related to anything on that side of things.

Also, it has only been happening since thse 'upgrades', last week. Coincidence?

• Advertisement

odd stuff alright

seeming it cant be your pc

no player,s in a server

and those upgrades where ment to give better more stable service

where do u live maybe the exchange is busy as CS would use a pritty hefty amouth of bandwith alot more than just surfing pages................. then again whats the likely hood that every hour of every day the exchange is being used to it,s limit

bah i dont know

*biz walks out muttering to himself*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

i have the same problem. I just brush it off by camping and avoiding fire for that 2-3secs :)

Pings have been around 80-90 tonight though :/

Usually my pings are perfectly low, hovering around 50-60,
    Here's a few examples of the spikes

The Low :
    low.jpg

Looks perfect no problems, but wait.

The High :
    high1.jpg

Suddenly it isn't so perfect, que ping spike and rampant swearing as you are nailed.

The Second High :
    high2.jpg

And a few moments later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Michele

Look at my pings then. I would cancel my subscription with netsource tomorrow ... was not for the fact that I cancelled it already last week.

Pinging boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=844ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=531ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=453ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=813ms TTL=58

Pinging cisco.com [198.133.219.25] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 198.133.219.25: bytes=32 time=1360ms TTL=242
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 198.133.219.25: bytes=32 time=1171ms TTL=242

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 10.10.10.1
    2 1250 ms 969 ms 1078 ms rt004dub.netsource.ie [213.79.63.254]
    3 1094 ms 1140 ms 500 ms rt001kil.netsource.ie [212.17.32.101]
    4 407 ms 437 ms 375 ms fe0-0-brian.DUB.router.COLT.NET [193.1.208.204]
    5 485 ms 609 ms 687 ms 217.173.97.118
    6 906 ms 969 ms 891 ms 217.173.97.170
    7 938 ms 1172 ms 1078 ms 217.114.160.11
    8 656 ms 875 ms 1062 ms www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147]

sweet zombie jesus

thats terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Is it just your pings or are your downloads speeds bad too?

I'm downloading from creative europe at 12.1 KB/sec

wow, that is bad. I've never really had poor dl problems, dling at 58k/s at the moment. Haven't checked the pings since I made those screenies. I hope it isn't just your line and not netsource that is the problem.

well, I don't know but I had downloads at 56 and pings at 30 last week.

My ping spiking problems started last week too, around the time of their 'maintenence'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

No problems here since the major upgrade.Pings of 30ms constant to boards.ie & 40ms constant to clarity.jolt.co.uk.

carb.

3pm, still happening, going to shoot off an email to netsource now, it seems other people in Cork, different exchanges, are having this issue, not sure about elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Playing BF1942 on the jarhedz server yesterday and it looked like bad FPS but when I checked my FPS was steady at 35/48 but my ping was spiking every 3 seconds from 30 to 60 causing the game to jerk, it got got better and worse as the games went on but it didnt seem to be server popluation related.

What toold did you use to analyse your connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    3pm, still happening, going to shoot off an email to netsource now, it seems other people in Cork, different exchanges, are having this issue, not sure about elsewhere.

Taz... I'm in Cork City also , on the Quaker Road exchange and have no problems to report.Sounds like it could be a lil' contention issue (also happening on IOL BB atm) at the exchanges as it's bound to happen sooner or later.

carb.

I know a guy on Dennehy's Cross Exchange, he gets exact same spikes, if we're on same server, our pings are identical, and when it spikes he follows suit.

• Advertisement

It's gotten even worse today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Taz, what are you using to analyse your pings?

Pingplotter, or for practical use, CS. One thing to note is, my first hop is always perfect and below 30. It's when it gets to the 2nd hop or even further down the line that it spikes, and it's usually only 1 of the hops that spikes.

im in cork churchfeild exhange (around 1km away from it down by the "100 steps lol") and esat seem,s to be suffering a speed problum

maybe we cork peps are getting a raw deal just now

Seems to be when it leaves the netsource network for me, if i ping inside the network it's a constant low ping. So it can't be a contention issue at my exchange :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I see they have scheduled network maintenance for 1am this morning (sorry saturday morning I mean 19th July). Due to emergency network maintenance? I wonder does this have anything to do with it all?

--

From status page
    Due to emergency network maintenance, there will be a brief outage tomorrow morning ( Saturday 19th July ) during a window of 1am to 1:30am.

All customers will experience loss of service. DSL customers will need to reconnect when service is restored as this outage will include loss of their connection.

Netsource apologises for any inconvience caused.

--

For the last day or two I seem to have problems connecting to sites. For instance at the moment www.excite.com can't be pinged yet I can see most Irish sites ok.

Odd? Also this is more likely some config problem I'm having here but I'm using a D-Link DSL 504 and for whatever reason i can't seem to download files properly. They either stall or don't seem to start downloading at all. Yet if I use something like getright I can download files (mostly). Anyone seen a problem like this of late or am I just doing something silly with the 504 router?

I've been in close contact with them today, emailing them tracerts and other statistics, hopefully this is a result of it. I can't complain about netsource support, best staff I've dealt with, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    Seems to be when it leaves the netsource network for me, if i ping inside the network it's a constant low ping. So it can't be a contention issue at my exchange :(

I was jst gonna say. Only one of the spikes you showed was in the netsource domain and could easily be explained by a burst of server activity. The others can only be explained by poor routing either on Netsource's part or on the CS server's. Either way, there's very little Netsource can do about it.

Has to be something to do with netsource as the spikes occur on a traceroute to any ip, once it's outside netsource.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

yes i get the exact same problem, im on limerick city exchange, games servers in ireland seem fine as internal netsource does network. however these spikes are visible in DOS for me. also some servers are utter ****e like today on some ET barrysworld server ping was 130-200 a different barrysworld server was 50msec.

Advertisement