Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge Offered (",)

Options
  • 18-07-2003 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

It is now coming up to 2 months and I still can't access the outlook.pst file that was setup on my original Win2000 OS. This OS crashed and I have never being able to turn it back on although fortunately I had WinXP installed on another drive. I have no way of accessing my original mail and no matter what I seem to do I can't get access to the original outlook.pst file. Access is denied etc, etc, etc. I have asked and tried most options from setting up a similar User Account with full Admin options although with no look. Does anyone know how this can be resolved? Is there some procedure for copying the old reg files over to the new OS or any tricks that anyone is sure will work and therefore grant access to copy or accessing the PST file? Any help is much appreciated

Sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Is the .pst file set to read only by any chance?
    (right click - properties - under attributes)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Errr, did you try repairing it energy69?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭energy69

I have tried both. I have being working with computers for the past 9 years and training internet technologies and design for most of this time. I have tried the Read Only and tried repairing it. It is acting as if the security in Windows 2000 is still blocking access to the PST file even though I am entering through XP. Is there anyway of fooling the system? Cheers for your help. If you know of anyone that might know the solution it'd be much appreciated. There are emails with contact details and passwords that I have no way of accessing. Over Six months of mails has being lost.

Sam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have NTFS encryption then be bloody careful - look up technet on service pack fixes & SID's etc. - cos it's a bit like drivespace/doublespace - most users swear by it - the others have lost all thier data...

Outlook - choose the option File - "Exit and log off"
    (exist just closes the GUI - PST file will still be locked by MAPI spooler thimmyjig)

Or bypass the OS etc.
    If you have FAT32 a DOS boot disk will get you to C: you can then copy it to another folder...

If NTFS then download ntfsdos from www.sysinternals.com
    read only - copy to another FAT16 partition - or 2nd HDD or put network drives on the floppy

or download Knoppix - you can boot from the CD read unencrypted PST can copy it across the network (use lineighbourhood to connect to a windows machine share)
    www.Knoppix.net( ftp.heanet.ie )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I hope I'm not shunned for this but have you ever tried using the Cygwin Bash emulator for windows?
    It's command line based if you don't know of it and it uses unix commands. You might be able to change the permissions on the file and move it.
    Could be worth a try.

www.cygwin.com I think. (just a sec I'll check :) ...... Yup that's right :)) Download the little setup.exe file in the middle of the page a few paragraphs down and run it. It will give you a load of ftp sites you can get the software from. Very handy stuff.

PS. don't ban me for mentioning Unix on the MS forum :(:p

[Edit] I think knoppix is much the same thing. It's a linux type OS is it not?[/Edit]

• Advertisement
Advertisement