Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat Your Chlidren !

Options
  • 18-07-2003 4:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Well its late at night and this crossed my mind for some reason.

I was wondering, how many people physicaly punish their chlidren these days?(hmm that sounds harsh)
    Or how do u control your kids, i'm sure you don't have to resort the wooden spoon ?

Now, don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that if your kid spills some milk you should kick the crap out of them.
    Its just i've seen chlidren that are out of control, their parents can't even say no to them.

A smack on the arse never hurt anyone (for long)
    Is it legal to smack your kid nowadays?

Post your opinions and reasons.

Have you ever smacked your child? 14 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No, you violent pig
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I know for sure that I got quite a few smacks when I acted up when I was younger, but hell,it didnt do me no harm...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Violence breeds violence, physical punishment is the lazy wo/mans way of dealing with a child. Do a parenting course, learn how to mentally manipulate your child, I am living proof it works :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

so say your kid hits another kid in school or street... what, you're going to hit them to teach them not to?

I got into a fight in school and the headmaster leathered me saying "you ...shouldnt ....hit ....other ...kids."

When he was done I just looked at him like "do you even listen to yourself".

My father never hit me. Its much harder work to bring someone up that way but its much better imho.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Its much harder work to bring someone up that way but its much better imho

yes it is harder, a slap is given, then over and done with,
    where as you actually have to think up a punishment to fit the crime and then carry it out, this takes work, patience and consistency on the parents part.
    The reward is your child grows up not hating you (I lived in fear of my parents, especially my mother) the other think that makes it worth it is:
    When you get slapped for doing something that doesn’t necessarily teach you that what you did was wrong, just that your parent shouldn’t catch you doing it again

However if you explain to your child what they did and why they are being punished for it, well then they will not blame you for the punishment and will have learned a lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Ahh such words of wisdom Beruthiel - and you have how many kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

As a kid a ocassional smack on the ass never did me any harm. Its not exactly being violent, now is it? its different if your actaully leathering the poor kid or something.

You need to know where to draw the line. My folks often hit me when I was naughty, even used the wooden spoon, but I was certainly not abused. It was a mere form of discipline, and I think it made me turn out to be a reasonable disciplined, mannered person. (no smart comments thanks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

click

best page very true aswell,

cartman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Eden

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    Do a parenting course, learn how to mentally manipulate your child, I am living proof it works :D
    You did a parenting course and learned to "mentally manipulate" someone? What are you running, a cult?:confused:
    I certainly never wallop my toddler daughter. But if she does something dangerous, then I will gove her a wee smark on the bum, mostly as a shock.
    But for everyday naughtiness, no. There are other ways to discipline kids.
    I didn't need to do a parenting course to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bewildered

Honestly, If I had given most of the kids I've seen who deserved it a smack, I would probably be in a lot of trouble.

I say, smack the B#####ds.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Beruthiel Do a parenting course, learn how to mentally manipulate your child [/B]

So a smack on the arse is wrong but ****ing with their head isn't?

E.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

the old steel capped boot cross the cheek never did me nay harm when i was a nipper.

children are too soft these days. flog em all i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

My parents never once slapped or punished me physically. I've sworn to myself no matter what my children do, I'll never punish them through physical means. Its rather unfair and unjustified.

I noticed that most of my friends who received the odd slap from their parents were much more inclined to be in fights in school or in general much more prepared to use their fist than verbally sort things out.

Advertisement