Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Command prompt sluggish when using 2K / WinXP

• 18-07-2003 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I still use some command prompt applications even today. Has anyone noticed how sluggish the command prompt (dos) is in Windows 2000 and Windows XP? Is there anyway to speed it up? I really don't want to have to go back to Windows 98.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Haven't noticed it being especially sluggish myself.
    You could try it in safe mode or kill as many tasks as you can and then try it... I found ZoneAlarm lagged me to bits with some apps.
    Do you mean the typing feedback is delayed? or the running apps themselves are slow to complete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It's not just a problem on my pc, it's a problem on all the pcs here. The program we are running is network based. It runs perfectly on Windows 98 / ME, but very sluggishly on 2k / XP.

The program normally uses about 400k/b per second of network bandwidth, however 2k / XP seem to only let it have about 100k/b per second.

Safe mode and compatability mode do not help. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That reminds me of something.. i heard of something like this before.. i dont know how but i know there is a way of increasing how much bandwidth you can use.. Have you tried Google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

Are you using QOS to limit traffic bandwidth on a per application basis..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You're not typing "command" to access the prompt on 2K/XP instead of "cmd" are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Sico is right there, noticed this a while ago, if you type command instead of cmd it's a lot!!! slower, well at least it is on this pc, used the win 98 upgrade pack to install win200 pro on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmm, hadn't noticed that before actually, I've always just used cmd... same slowness here too. (XP sp1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately none of them have worked. I have talked to the software company that wrote the software we are using, and they say it's an NT kernel inherent flaw.

Advertisement