Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot rip mp3s

• 18-07-2003 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I want to rip my cd collection to mp3 to load it on to an mp3 jukebox. I've installed several different rippers but they all say that they cannot detect the cdrom drive. The computer is a 1999 gateway pentium 300 running windoze 98. I downloaded and installed aspi drivers but still no use. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭reyner

If the computer is that old, maybe the cd-rom won't support digital audio extraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭corkviewer

If that is the case would it be possible to copy the contents of the cdrom onto the hard disc and rip it from there and if so what software would I need ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can install Clone CD .. this takes an image of the cd
    and shoves it on HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

and then mount it with clone cd's virtual drive...
    rip the music from that.

but seeing as the drive can't handle cdda extraction you prolly wont be able to make an image....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

tbh it'd be your best bet to just buy a new cd drive, lg are supposed to make decent, cheap cd spinners...
    oh yeah, ittl take months on end to rip your cd collection at decent quality with that rig...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Oxidise

I use a nifty program called cdEX you can download it here.
    http://www.cdex.n3.net/

If you haven't tried it already i suggest you do.
    Just a suggestion....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm surprized an admin hasn't deleted this yet.

read the rules before posting.

if ya don't like them don't post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i'm surprized an admin hasn't deleted this yet.

read the rules before posting.

if ya don't like them don't post

what r u on about if u own the cd and want to back it up your allowed to do it . there is no rule afaik that says otherwise on this board . its pritty much like the how do u backup your game cd's etc...

try a different cd rom drive . i cant see any reason for it not allowing u to rip a cd . i used to rip them with my p75 so i dont see why u cant . try cdex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭corkviewer

Thanks to all who replied. I got the ripping working in the end. It turns out that the aspi drivers weren't installed correctly so I downloaded them again and everything worked according to plan.
    I don't see how there are any copyright issues with converting cds you already own to MP3 to load onto an mp3 player seeing as you have paid for the music. Obviously if you're making cd copies and selling them that's different....

Advertisement