Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

50cc Vs 125cc Moped

Options
  • 18-07-2003 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi I was just wondering what are the difference's between teh two?

apart from speed, and engine size?

I am talking about handeling etc ..

I have never been on one before ... so would 125 be too much?

also is there any difference's in teh liceeance needed?

Thanks
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

be a man .. .get the 125 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The biggest difference will be in the cost of your insurance..
    Acceleration will likely be much better on the 125. It may also be alot heavier.

Handling will be approximately the same (if they are the same model) if you ignore the different weights..

Yeah, there is a slight difference in the license categories..
    Check out Mag Ireland for info on licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

if you're over 25 go for the bigger engine

seriously i wouldnt drive around this city on a 50cc a 125 may not exactly be like a rocket but you know youve got the power to get around things when you need it

and i'm a little biased here but i'd recommend a vespa...they rock!!

seriously forget the ET models check out the PX's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

if you get a 50cc you'll spend serious amounts of time asking yourself "why is everything passing me out?" whereas if you get a 125cc you'll only spend half the amount of time asking yourself "why is everything passing me out?". Go for the 125 if you will be going out of the city.

You could get an M license for the 50cc but the 125 will more than likely need an A1.

Watch out though, insurance is a bastard. I just got my renewal notice this last week and it went up €400 from last year, back into 4 digit land. Robbing bastards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Jesus. You have any claims against you? My insurance went down by €230 this year - but that is after passing the driving test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

a 125 2 stroker will keep u happy for a while, somethin like a gilera runner, altho the maintanence can be a pain if u mistreat it, they do about 75mph and pull off very quick(derestrcited)
    if u have the choice go with the 125, without even another thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

go for a 125 a 50 will drive you mad! great in traffic, but once things start moving, the left gutter becomes your best mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by lazygit
    be a man .. .get the 125 ;)

be a boy.. .get the 125 - a man would get something equivalent to the size of his l****r :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Stephen
    Jesus. You have any claims against you? My insurance went down by €230 this year - but that is after passing the driving test.

Not that I know of... :D I got done for speeding recently but the points havent gone on my license yet and so shouldnt be affecting my insurance. I paid €820 last year and was hoping to be paying around €750-800 this year but alas the powers that be decided otherwise. €230 is a fairly normal drop for just passing the test, I think mine dropped 250 last year when I got my test.

I'll show em... in 3 years when I'm 26 and I'm paying balls all insurance on my bike I'll show em... (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The only reason why I was asking about this is because I seen a lovely bike
    (Habana Custom) which is advailable in 50/125 both look exact same.
    When I asked about insurance, I gave the following details

23 provisional Liceance
    no previous insurance
    dublin area
    looking for fully comp

I was giving this : 815 for 50cc
    1523 for 125

I didn't think that was a bad price at all for the 125

later (after I posted) I tol dmy mate got recently got a vespa et2, he laughed at me and said I was mis-quoted (as he was quoted 2500 for 125)
    so I rang them up again and asked for insurance

the details I was given was :
    1223 for 50cc
    3033 for 125
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mate with the vespa paid 950 for his (with same details as I)
    I asked the guy and he told me that in July the insurance went up between 20-40% depending on age+bike

• Advertisement
Advertisement