Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had a visit from an Eircom Winback Rep.!!

Options
  • 18-07-2003 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Just had a visit from an Eircom Winback Rep. about 10 minutes ago.

Him - "I see that you're with UTV, do you know eircom are offering 12 free hours a month that can be used for calls or internet and our normal and international rates are much cheaper than UTV. Even Esat offer better rates than UTV"

I could barely hide the big smirk on my face.

Me - "We very very rarely use the Phone for phone calls, mainly internet."

Him - "Whats your average phone bill?"

Me - "Well last year with Eircom our bimonthly bills averaged €400-€500" (200-250/m)

Him - "Jesus Christ" (I kid you not!:D )

Him - "How many hours are Utv offering?"

Me - "180hrs"

Him - "For how much?"

Me - "€25, so you see why 12 free hours a month doesn't really impress me when UTV reduced my monthly phone bill by a factor of 10"

Him - "Fair enough, Eircom were **** (obviously knew by looking at me that a few expletives wouldn't offend me) last year and I can see why you wouldn't be interested in this particular offer but Eircom will be coming out shortly with their own flat-rate package so can I get back to you with details on that?"

Me - "If you want, though I'd be more interested in Broadband"

Him - "We'll I'm not in the Broadband marketing department, though I used to work with NTL up till last year. We did the canvassing in Lucan last year and nobody wanted it. Myself and 2 marketing managers left the company because we thought it was a lost cause"

Me - "We'll maybe its because Broadband and its pricing hasn't gotten enough media coverage. NTL didn't publicise their great value service cause they hadn't the capital to invest in the rest of their network and Eircom didn't either to protect their dial-up revenue"

Him - "Jesus, I take it that your very interested in all this stuff"

Me - "A little bit"

Him - "Off course as soon as myself and the other fella's left NTL the demand in Lucan went through the roof"

Me - "Really?"

Him - "You do know that Bray was next on NTL's list for BB rollout"

Me(my interest pique'd) - "No I didn't know that"

Him - "Yeah, It was actually a toss up between trialling and canvassing Bray or Lucan, they decided on Lucan but I think Bray is next, well it was at the time I left the company. NTL I think are going for the Urban area's and Eircom are more kinda going for the rural area's"

Me - (I nearly cracked up, Eircom and Rural Area's in the same sentence!)

Him - "Right so, I'll get back to you with details of Eircoms Flat Rate, See ya"

Me - "Bye"

.............................THE END

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Now if only that lad got promoted high enough in eircom to make a difference you could be his jedi trainer :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Calibos

Him - "We'll I'm not in the Broadband marketing department, though I used to work with NTL up till last year. We did the canvassing in Lucan last year and nobody wanted it. Myself and 2 marketing managers left the company because we thought it was a lost cause"

<SNIP>

Him - "Off course as soon as myself and the other fella's left NTL the demand in Lucan went through the roof"

<SNIP>

Him - "You do know that Bray was next on NTL's list for BB rollout"

<SNIP>

Him - "Yeah, It was actually a toss up between trialling and canvassing Bray or Lucan, they decided on Lucan but I think Bray is next, well it was at the time I left the company. NTL I think are going for the Urban area's and Eircom are more kinda going for the rural area's"

/me sniffs the air.

yep ... smells funny alright. Watch where you step lads ;)

Pld Calibos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Heh, he went from manager to a rep, quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Lovely jubbley! An Eircom rep, poor sod, This made my day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We left €ircon about a year ago and were persistently hassld by them to return (despite requests to feck off).
    Anyway a Winback agent called and whilst I was out and my wife asked him to return the following day after 6 but anyway he called before 6 and told my wife loads of lovely stuff which sounded so good that she signed up for the months trial. This includeed a discount of 25% if we spent over €50 on calls (including net calls!)
    Can I have a copy of the literature you have there she asked.
    Eh no - Im sorry but you will be sent out some stuff! was the reply.
    Anyway I was bulling when I found out but decided to see what the result would be after the months trial. I also rang 1901 the following day and the whole offer was confirmed to me!
    Month went and no word.
    Eventually we got the bill after two months for a few cent short of €400. The discount was something like €1.50.
    I rang accounts to find out what the story was and they said no such offer existed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and eventually (two days later) got talking to her.
    She eventually sent me a letter acknowledging that we were misled when we were sold the product nd we got €80 off the next bill. (Still doesn't explain why 1901 also confirmed the salesmans claims)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Heh, he went from manager to a rep, quality.

He said he and two managers left, that doesn't sound to me like he was a manager.
    Even if he did go from being manager to a rep, newsflash, there's not a lot of jobs available right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What I found amusing is that he left NTL for Eircom saying that broadband was a lost cause. After he leaves, broadband takes off in NTL enabled areas.

He's pretty much admitting that he's a bad sales rep.

It's also kind of predictable, given his views of broadband being a lost cause (despite the evidence), that he subsequently went for a job with Eircom.

"Hey, we can't sell broadband so broadband must be crap. Let's try for a job with Eircom where we'll be with like minded people."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Errr....very strange :)

I dont know where he plucked the NTL info from , but he's completely wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Now the guy that headhunted him from NTL to Eircom to sell internet services, THAT'S a salesman!
    Selling reasonably priced internet with low setup costs and a broadband service that will kill ALL other offerings being trialled for release next year? You don't wanna do that, you wanna work for Eircom and try to sell an overpriced service to a largely disinterested customer base who have been put off using the internet for years because we've been greasing them up and bending them over for years!
    Oonly me!

But seriously, I got a phone call from an Eircom rep t'other day asking if I used the internet. "Yess!" said I, "a lot". I could hear her moistening as I spoke. "Have you heard about Eircom broadband?". I said I had, and let her continue.
    "So would you be interested?" she asks. "I would be very interested" I said, and paused. " But even though I live in a new housing estate with new copper buried beneath I was told I could never have ADSL on my line". "Was that because your exchange wasn't upgraded" she asked. "No, an outright fail. No possibility of ever getting broadband is what I was told".
    "Oh. Would you be interested in ISDN?"
    I laughed and said no, and went on to tell her that I had broadband internet through Irishwan for less than half what they were charging.
    "Okay, well if there's anything we can help you with in the future here's the nuber to call........."
    click...
    Chuckle.

I don't often enjoy talking on the phone but that made me smile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by milltown
    Now the guy that headhunted him from NTL to Eircom to sell internet services, THAT'S a salesman!
    Selling reasonably priced internet with low setup costs and a broadband service that will kill ALL other offerings being trialled for release next year? You don't wanna do that, you wanna work for Eircom and try to sell an overpriced service to a largely disinterested customer base who have been put off using the internet for years because we've been greasing them up and bending them over for years!
    Oonly me!
    Ah Milltown, I got a good laugh from that!

And Calibos, good story and well played! That poor sales rep - he made it sound like he was tearing his hair out trying to get people to buy broadband from ntl, and all it took was for him to leave the company!

Speaking of winback attempts, I was over at my parents gaff a few weeks ago. I got what I thought was going to be a winback attempt, but it turned out to be the other crowd - two girls from EsatBT trying to push their wares. Their marketing technique was a tried and tested one - ie: be good-looking so the punter will agree to anything you say. Except that whoever chose them to be the face of EsatBT obviously had brutal taste in birds. They were only *trying* to be good-looking, and at best, only partially succeeded.
    Therefore it was easy to counter their arguments on their merits alone. Here's how the conversation went (They assumed everyone they called to would be Eircom punters):
    Them: <tee-hee-hee ding-dong!>
    Me: <flinging open the door> Yes?
    Them: Hi, would you like to save money on your phone bill?
    Me: Yes?
    Them: Would you consider leaving Eircom?
    Me: Yes, and we already have.
    Them: <confusedly> Oh? So you are with EsatBT already then?
    Me: No, we switched to UTV.
    Them: <trying to get back to the script> Yes, because Eircom are very dear, and you can save alot of money with EsatBT. You could probably save more money by switching now.
    Me: No, we're very happy with UTV thanks.
    Them: <trying to smile sweetly> Yes, but EsatBT is the biggest competitor to Eircom...
    Me: To be honest, I wouldn't be too enamoured with EsatBT, and I would be hesitant to count them as a competitor at all. I think "member of a duopoly" would be a more accurate...
    Them: <hurriedly> Ok-bye! (and later: nerd!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I looked at changing to UTV and when I looked at the call charged I was impressed until I saw this part
    "All calls are subject to a 3.87 cent setup fee including VAT"

So that's 3.87 for each call before you even start talking?
    I'm with Esat, does anyone know if they charge the same setup fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by Kananga
    I looked at changing to UTV and when I looked at the call charged I was impressed until I saw this part
    "All calls are subject to a 3.87 cent setup fee including VAT"

So that's 3.87 for each call before you even start talking?
    I'm with Esat, does anyone know if they charge the same setup fee?
    Esat BT have a minimum call charge of 6.05 cent inc VAT on local and national calls.

/T

Advertisement