Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Grand Prix

• 18-07-2003 3:23pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1st Qualifying Results :

1 M. Schumacher FER 1:19.474
    2 J. Montoya WIL 1:19.749
    3 R. Schumacher WIL 1:19.788
    4 F. Alonso REN 1:19.907
    5 O. Panis TOY 1:19.959
    6 J. Trulli REN 1:19.963
    7 D. Coulthard MLA 1:19.968
    8 M. Webber JAG 1:20.171
    9 J. Button BAR 1:20.569
    10 C. da Matta TOY 1:20.765
    11 A. Pizzonia JAG 1:20.877
    12 K. Räikkönen MLA 1:21.065
    13 J. Villeneuve BAR 1:21.084
    14 N. Heidfeld SAU 1:21.211
    15 H. Frentzen SAU 1:21.363
    16 G. Fisichella JOR 1:21.500
    17 R. Firman JOR 1:22.335
    18 J. Verstappen MIN 1:23.418
    19 R. Barrichello FER
    20 J. Wilson MIN

Thats a very good time in the Ferrari for Schumi. After all that is in hot dry conditions and on the bridgestones. :D

See here for more

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by celticfc

Thats a very good time in the Ferrari for Schumi. After all that is in hot dry conditions and on the bridgestones. :D

It drizzled during qualifying, around when Alonso was out. Not much, maybe took a tenth or two off the few after and set back the "rubbering in" of the track a bit. The temperature over here isn't that warm, maybe 24 celsius or so. It has been much warmer this week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

2nd Qualifying Results

1 R. Barrichello FER 1:21.209
    2 J. Trulli REN 1:21.381
    3 K. Räikkönen MLA 1:21.695
    4 R. Schumacher WIL 1:21.727
    5 M. Schumacher FER 1:21.867
    6 C. da Matta TOY 1:22.081
    7 J. Montoya WIL 1:22.214
    8 F. Alonso REN 1:22.404
    9 J. Villeneuve BAR 1:22.591
    10 A. Pizzonia JAG 1:22.634
    11 M. Webber JAG 1:22.647
    12 D. Coulthard MLA 1:22.811
    13 O. Panis TOY 1:23.042
    14 H. Frentzen SAU 1:23.187
    15 G. Fisichella JOR 1:23.574
    16 N. Heidfeld SAU 1:23.844
    17 R. Firman JOR 1:24.385
    18 J. Wilson MIN 1:25.468
    19 J. Verstappen MIN 1:25.759
    20 J. Button BAR No Time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

SHud b a good race. Hope Montoya gets past M. Schumacher and Ralf to win it. Rubens will probably retire.

not at all.

I see a Ferrari 1-2 tomorrow & I dont think the Williams's will be 3 & 4 (although Montoya will do well).
    I think the Renaults will do better than Ralf & the McLarens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

A 1 - 2?? Schumacher wont get by Räikkönen and Ralf. At least i hope not.

Rubens is prone to **** starts, so Jarno might get by at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a race! :eek:

Where to start except with the idiot who was on Hanger Straight
    and aparently making a protest about something or other - Silverstones security perhaps? I wonder how much Bernie paid him to risk life and limb (!).

Rubens deserved the win even if the hard driving required was mainly his own fault for a typically dozy start. Some great overtaking moments which I thought had gone out of fashion.

Schumacher (M) did well to rescue a bad day at the office
    and Button did well do after starting last, the Jordans were
    they're usual selves Firmans postion looked promising for a while but after he pitted it was back to normal! Nasty moment for Fisi.

Mike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Great race!
    Why is everyone singing prasies of M Schumi?
    Ive read on a few other forums too ,saying how well he done to climb back up the grid after safety car was out for the mad muppet.
    He was in 14th place and finished 4th Montoya was in 12th and finished 2nd and going away from Schumi all the time but as usual Schumi gets all the accolades :(

Great race,
    I couldn't be happier for Rubens.If ye think about it is was a really good race for Ferrari 15 points out of a possible 18.

I'm still confident of Ferrari winning the constructors
    title & Schu winning the drivers title.

BTW the fella on the track was a 56 year old Irish priest ( Father Neil Horan, originally from Scartaglen, Co Kerry) & his banner read, "Read the Bible, the Bible is always right".

_39300335_protestor_ap_203.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Great race. I was there and I recommend if you're going, to sit in the Farm enclosure. That was where 80% of the overtaking (and there was a good bit for this race) took place. Also we were directly facing a giant screen so we could see everything.

The only downside was the traction control noise from the cars as they exited the slowish corner. They sound like a bag of nails. The safety car, however, sounds orgasmic. Bring back V8s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Robbo
    The safety car, however, sounds orgasmic. Bring back V8s!

It does indeed, but personally i would go for unrestrained V12's.

//AMG do a special job with those mercs.

• Advertisement

I say bring back the old days V12 engines,no traction control etc limited downforce .
    The cars from 67 were out of this world as were the drivers ,no downforce and no driver aids .
    They were REAL drivers IMO.Jim Clark would simply walk all over any of todays drivers.
    No im not trying to compare drivers from different eras but these guys steered the cars with the throttle as well as the wheel and had only rock hard tyres for grip and not a wing in sight with 450 bhp under the right foot.
    The Ferrari 312,Lotus 49 and the Honda RA 300 are just an example of some of the cars from this year.
    Id also loke to see the turbo v12 cars back with 1300 bhp onboard.
    Of course im only dreaming as it will never happen but no harm in dreaming :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there is a plan to possibly reduce the engines by two cylinders in order to reduce speeds
    http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html?http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/030718210220.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I have to agree with chernobyl. It was a sad, sad day in 1995 when Ferrari announced they were no longer going to use a V12 engine but switch to a V10 from 1996 onwards. Okay, they really had to do it if they wanted to remain competitive but it was so sad that the legendary Ferrari V12 wail was never going to be heard again at a Grand Prix.

And how do I know all this? From first hand experience of that wonderful noise. I went to the EuroBOSS (a championship for ex-F1 and F3000 cars) round at Mondello Park in 2001 and a Dutchman called Klaus Zwart showed up with his latest aquisition, a 1995 ex-Gerhard Berger Ferrari 312 V12. I was standing at the back of his garage looking in through the back door when they fired it up before the practice session and the sheer noise was just indescribable. The faces of everybody standing around just all broke into wide grins that you couldn't stop, the sound had that effect. When they shut down the engine I just turned to the stranger beside me with this big stupid grin on my face and said, "Now that's how an engine should sound!" and he replied, "Jaysus, you said it, pal!"

On track, well, what can I say? To hear that V12 scream (no, not a scream. A piercing, ear-shattering, window-breaking wail!) past you is just without doubt the most amazing thing I have ever heard. It literally rattles your ribcage as it hurtles past you. When Ferrari ditched the V12 at the end of 1995 I thought, "Oh well, that's it. I guess I'll never get to hear one in real-life." I think myself and everyone who was at Mondello that day owe Klaus Zwart a massive, massive amount of thanks for letting us experience, if even just once, what has got to be one of the greatest noises in the world EVER!

Oh, by the way Dcully, I don't recall anyone using a turbocharged V12 back in the turbo era. Turbocharged four and six cylinder engines, yes, but not a V12. Though, I have to agree with you, I'd love to see the 1300 bhp (it's rumoured Renault managed to get one of their engines to go off the scale on the test rig in 1985, I think it was, and the test rig registered up to 1600 bhp!) turbo engines back in Formula 1. Real power that took real drivers with real big brass swingers between their legs to tame! :D

Personally i hate turbos as i could see overtaking being simply a process of who applies boost on a straight..no more late braking and throwing dummies [i actually thought all that was gone until last sunday] but yeah the Ferrari V12 was amazing

PS: i have a MP3 of Ferrari's 94 V12...7 minutes of heaven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there, chernobyl. I loved the turbo era and, as far as I'm concerned, I think I saw some of the greatest races I ever saw during that time. Okay, yes, if today's cars were using turbocharged engines I can see your point but I was talking about the 1980's cars where aerodynamics were not as advanced or as efficient as on today's cars and where they had a lot less downforce than today and where getting right behind another driver was still possible without loosing all the downforce over your front wing, where they still had big, fat, sticky, slick tyres to give plenty of mechanical grip and where they still used manual gearboxes and clutches (real drivers use a clutch! lol), all combining to allow them a chance to overtake.

As for "no more dummies", I will point you to probably the greatest dummy move of all time, incidentely made during the turbo era. Nigel Mansell dummying Nelson Piquet along the Hanger Straight and into Stowe Corner at the 1987 British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

'Nuff said! :D

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    As for "no more dummies", I will point you to probably the greatest dummy move of all time, incidentely made during the turbo era. Nigel Mansell dummying Nelson Piquet along the Hanger Straight and into Stowe Corner at the 1987 British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

'Nuff said! :D

Maybe im being to vague. Im of the modern generation aidan so i have only being watching F1 for about 12 years [wow..that is actually quite a while] but im in the schumi generation. so when i said "dummies = dead" i meant in the last few years and yeah i have seen mansells pass, it was special.

...and im basing my turbo worries on champ car. those guys have it down to a fine art. they even have an air vavle blowing trough a tube into their helmet[beside their ears] and when the boost pressure is at optimum the tube creates a whistle sound so they then unleash :)

BTW I see yer man who went on to the track on sunday got a week in prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats only remand! I'm not sure they quite know what to charge him with - it should be reckless endangerment and a jail term proper, but he'll proberly get of with a slapped wrist.

Mike.

Oh, by the way Dcully, I don't recall anyone using a turbocharged V12 back in the turbo era.

Your possibly right m8 but v2 v6 v16 whatever doesnt matter 1300 bhp is 1300 bhp,my mistake.
    I was at all the BOSS series races and practice runs at Mondello but i missed 2001 as i had a bad accident at work that year and could not walk and still cant without bad pain.
    I live close-ish to Mondello,my best memory of BOSS was the Tyrell ex Mika Salo F1 car ,my god that was a scary sound.

Originally posted by Dcully
    my best memory of BOSS was the Tyrell ex Mika Salo F1 car ,my god that was a scary sound.

I think i was there. Were they running the X-wings that day?

• Advertisement

Not sure tbh Chernobyl.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Dcully
    I was at all the BOSS series races and practice runs at Mondello but i missed 2001 as i had a bad accident at work that year and could not walk and still cant without bad pain.
    I remember standing on pit wall of Mondello in 1991 right beside where the drivers 'turn' after coming out of the final corner as they straighten up, and watching someone [can't remember who] driving Gerhard Bergers old Ferrari V12. That was some noise hearing the car suddenly burst into form right beside it.

On another note I also managed to get photos of the 1999 Ferrari as used by MS, E. Irvine & M. Salo from a distance of about 2 feet in the tunnel in Mondello [car drove past me by about 2 feet!]

Advertisement