Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brother gets thier funding cut.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

All Governments, now know more about their citizens lives, habits and beliefs than ever before!, and anyone who thinks that real privacy or individual freedom still exists?.. is living in cloud cuckoo land!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

By the way, can anyone confirm what I heard - that the former marine who abducted that little english girl was caught by his mobile phone being traced constantly?

Do you reckon such a severe invasion of his privacy would work as a defence - there has to be standards in the application of the law after all or well all end up living in a police state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Do you reckon such a severe invasion of his privacy would work as a defence - there has to be standards in the application of the law after all or well all end up living in a police state.

Your kidding right, you would disagree with his mobile phone being traced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Sand
    YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

By the way, can anyone confirm what I heard - that the former marine who abducted that little english girl was caught by his mobile phone being traced constantly?

They could certainly track his whereabouts to within a fairly loose radius. They technology exists to pin-point him to within metres, from his mobile phone, but AFAIK it has not been implemented anwhere in Europe.

BTW AWS (AT&T ) are working on implementation of a number of projects which will allow not just this but other so called "invasions of privacy" as we speak. The implemtation of these and other systems have become enforceable in the US since 9/11.

our kidding right, you would disagree with his mobile phone being traced ?

Yes, kidding. Demonstrating the advantages of our orwellian police state existence where investigations can be resolved speedily by the application of modern technology. Its about as intrusive as having your car registered under your name but it sets off silly season for some people. Why, I dont know:|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And yet, if I hire someone to follow someone around all the time, it's a crime! :rolleyes:

No, the public have a right to know Sparks!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

:confused: But several members of the public do know me Sand! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

We already live in a Police State!, or are the ever increasing numbers of uniformed and plain clothes law enforcement officers appearing all over the place, a mirage?..

As 1984 has come and gone. The question I have too ask is whose interests are our law enforcement agencies and the Courts and the vast majority of Solicitors & Barristers really protecting?... Are they protecting the average citizens or an exclusive elite, who inhabit the Golden circle?..

Paddy20:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

They could certainly track his whereabouts to within a fairly loose radius. They technology exists to pin-point him to within metres, from his mobile phone, but AFAIK it has not been implemented anwhere in Europe.
    Err...mobile tracking has been around for some time. It has now gone commercial.
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3304.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by MadsL
    Err...mobile tracking has been around for some time. It has now gone commercial.
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3304.html
    Err..... I now that. Maybe I should have said that none of the European MN operators have implementated this on a commercial basis (AFAIK).

As I said the technology exists. If you re-read the article you linked to. It refers to the ability "to track the position of registered mobile phones" emphasis on the registered.

LogicaMN (Now known as Logica-CMG) had a product for years which could do this and they sold it too many companies. But that was not the point of the article the thread starter referred to, or me for that matter.

What we are talking about here is un-solicted access to things like your e-mail, txtx msgs, Mobile phone calls, etc.....

We all know the technology exists. It's the use and implementation of it that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You could sit at home and do like absolutely nothing and your name goes through like 17 computers a day. 1984? Yeah right man, that's a typo, Orwell's here and now, he's livin' large. We have no names man, no names, we are nameless.

Advertisement