Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg fights carrier pre-select churn

Options
  • 18-07-2003 5:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Interesting article on enn.ie here

I know this is not directly related to IOFFL but it does effect our members on a frequent bases.
    ComReg is also concerned that both consumer and operator dissatisfaction with CPS is increasing. The authority is receiving complaints of excessive contact from operators aimed at winning back their business, telephone contact with the consumer within the first billing period, misleading price comparisons that have enticed the customer to switch and operators misrepresenting the services provided by competitors.

In response ComReg is proposing changes to Eircom's CPS Code of Practice in its Reference Interconnect Offer (RIO). The first of ComReg's proposals is a 12-month moratorium on all win-back activities for all operators. The second option is a four-month moratorium on all win-back activities, plus a four-month "no contact" period for all operators. The final option is to institute a four-month no-contact period for all operators.

I know exactly how people feel. I'm with Esat (and have NoLimits). And in the last 6 months they have called to my home at least three times and rang numerous times. And despite me telling them that I'm just not interested, they still keep coming back.

And every time they do, they lie through their teeth. For example, one called two days ago. He claimed that Eircom where cheaper then Esat for phone calls, yet unsurprisingly he couldn't produce a call charges list. He was quiet surprised when I produced Eircoms call charge list (and Esats and UTVs) from where I keep it handy on my hall table for just such occasions :)

I asked him to show me how Eircom where cheaper, he admitted that he couldn't!!!

When I told him that I had NoLimits, he claimed that Esat had been sued because of it and that I was lucky to have it. When I pointed out that Esat where never sued and explained what really happened, he got really snotty and said well Esat shouldn't sell what they couldn't offer.

The thing is ordinary people would probably get sucked in by these lies and it is just wrong. I do hope that ComReg introduce a 12 month moratorium on this bs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by bk
    I know this is not directly related to IOFFL but it does effect our members on a frequent bases.
    Not directly related as you say but it does come up quite a bit and people are interested in news on this issue.

They've still never called to me (I do recognise that I'm probably in the happy minority) so I can tell them to get lost.

Any of these proposed options would be a step forward. As people have pointed out, some reps can be quite rude and have little idea of what they're trying to sell, which doesn't stop them calling back again and again. It's harrassment, plain and simple.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Speaking of all of which, my CPS was "stolen" during my ISDN upgrade, and it still hasn't resurfaced. Just checked my mail: I got a reply from UTV on June 24 to say that they were resubmitting the lines, but I'm still on Eircom more than three weeks later.

Just mailed UTV again. Watch this space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I used to be jealous of you guys getting all these calls but even I have to admit it's getting out of hand now. In the past few weeks I've had a call from Eircom, a visit from Esat, and just yesterday I even had a courier trying to sell me Euphony. Sometimes it can be fun, for example the Esat girls arrived just when Amocom was installing my wireless antennae and myself and John O'Hare had a lovely time explaining how useless their company was, and I had a good laugh off the Euphony guy, but I actually got cranky with the Eircom biddy and told her to stuff it, and when that happens I reckon it's just gone too far. I wouldn't doubt for a second that they hoodwink a large percentage of people into taking services too.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

He was quiet surprised when I produced Eircoms call charge list (and Esats and UTVs) from where I keep it handy on my hall table for just such occasions

I have a vision of you hovering over your phone waiting to ambush these Poor reps :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

a few weeks ago i got a visit from a pair of reps. My mom answered the door and she called 'david come here nows your chance' coz im always going n about how much Eircom suck. To my dismay, they weren't from Eircom :mad: but they were from EsatBT. As soon as I told them we were with UTV they gave up and left. Either EsatBT reps don't lie like Eircom or they sensed my seemingly vast knowledge of Eircom scams. :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for a call/visit from an Eircom winback rep and, like bk, I have the entire Eircom/UTV comparison list waiting... :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by FirA_Fascio
    To my dismay, they weren't from Eircom :mad: but they were from EsatBT.
    Don't be dismayed, EsatBT is as bad a company as Eircom, if not worse. Vent boy, scream and shout and wail and gnash your teeth!

As soon as I told them we were with UTV they gave up and left. Either EsatBT reps don't lie like Eircom or they sensed my seemingly vast knowledge of Eircom scams.

Nah, they're just wussies. No fun at all. Next time lead them on a bit by telling them that you heard about their new "flat-metered thing" and that this friend from work was saying that he could get you much better prices with Euphony. They'll think you're a total sucker.

adam

:eek:

a friend of mine was with EsatBT, but his dad, being a member of the gullible eircom-loving public, got a call from our good old corrupt monopoly-abusing Telco, being told by a winback rep that they had a ..'new package' :mad: and, he switched back to eircom.. to my utter horror, disgust, misery, etc. i discovered that another friend of mine had parents who were screwed by Eircom's evil winback campaign were also with Esat for about 3 months, but switched back to Eircom when a .. 'new package' became available
    this is really sickening.. the parents of 2 members of the same band.. sucked back into the VORTEX..
    I CANT BE LEAD GUITARIST IN A BAND OF EIRCOMISTS! ITS HORRIBLE! :( *runs off screaming*
    a little too dramatic perhaps, but it gets my frustration out, and hopefully you get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by FirA_Fascio
    :eek:

a friend of mine was with EsatBT, but his dad, being a member of the gullible eircom-loving public, got a call from our good old corrupt monopoly-abusing Telco, being told by a winback rep that they had a ..'new package' :mad: and, he switched back to eircom.. to my utter horror, disgust, misery, etc. i discovered that another friend of mine had parents who were screwed by Eircom's evil winback campaign were also with Esat for about 3 months, but switched back to Eircom when a .. 'new package' became available
    this is really sickening.. the parents of 2 members of the same band.. sucked back into the VORTEX..
    I CANT BE LEAD GUITARIST IN A BAND OF EIRCOMISTS! ITS HORRIBLE! :( *runs off screaming*
    a little too dramatic perhaps, but it gets my frustration out, and hopefully you get the idea

there there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Don't be dismayed, EsatBT is as bad a company as Eircom, if not worse. Vent boy, scream and shout and wail and gnash your teeth!

To me, Eircom are a million times worse... Phone lines down, taking a week to fix, no single billing, HIGH CHARGES for terrible service, the list goes on and on. On the other hand Esat have saved be quite literally thousand sof euros (still think they suck, just not as bad as Eircom, not like that is saying anything positive considering how bad Eircom stink!)

:D *applause* well said, Urban Weigl.. but you forgot to add the fact that they've purposely withheld fast, affordable broadband and flat-rate dialup for years. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dahamsta
    And chase them down driveway with big stick. :)

Advertisement