Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal identification in Ireland

Options
  • 18-07-2003 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I sent the following e-mail to minister for Justice 3 weeks ago and have recieved no reply:

ww)
    "Dear Minister,
    I wish to request clarification on matter that is affecting the country as a whole. The issue I wish I am addressing is that of Identification proof, I attended my local night-club Saturday night and arriving at the door a problem arose. One of my friends was asked for I.D. he presented a provisional driving licence which that he had turned 18 over 6 months ago. The bouncer said he couldn’t accept the I.D. and that only the national age card was acceptable according to directions they had been given by the local gardai.

Now Minister I’m sure you are aware that the process in applying for either a Passport, Driving Licence or Age Card are all identical, basically producing your birth cert and having a garda sign and stamp the form. So why is it that only the age card is acceptable? Has a law been passed saying that this the only legal form of identifying yourself ?.

As a result of this issue arising at the entrance of the night club the 18 year old guy was forced to get a taxi on his own home which is over 8 miles away. The night club on this night was particular busy and I can gurantee you that there were people there that were not 18 years old I met 4 people who I personally know are under the legal age for drinking.

Minister can you please clarify what forms of ID. are acceptable, and if a driving licence or passport is not acceptable why not? Are they not legal documents? I mean as of yet the government have not introduced a mandatory ID scheme so why should someone who has a driving licence or passport be forced to pay €6 and wait over a month for another form of ID?

Please reply as a matter or urgency as I’m sure this issue will arise again. "
    ww)

Anyone got any opinions??

Have you been refused entry to a licenced premises with any of these? 6 votes

National Age Card
    0% 0 votes
    Driving Licence
    16% 1 vote
    Passport
    66% 4 votes
    No
    16% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ok so a lot of you might be a little old to worry about my issue.

But I'm sure a lot of you have had trouble with ryanair when flying to UK in regards to National Age Card, for those of you who don't know Ryanair don't accept them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Does a provisional licence have your photograph on it? If not, then it is not proof of identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Does a provisional licence have your photograph on it?
    The provisional licence has a photo on it and only really differs from the full licence in appearance (but not in terms of being allowed to drive!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by kbannon
    The provisional licence has a photo on it and only really differs from the full licence in appearance (but not in terms of being allowed to drive!)
    Cool. Then it is a form of proof of identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

lol, I wonder how many of this kinda letter the minister gets.

Most places have their own door policy/id requirements and with that, which forms of ID they're gonna accept. IMO, the provisional driving license might be easy to forge.

The poor guy having to go back home in a taxi was a nice touch, but I can't see the minister posting out a few €€s in sympathy.

I reckon the answer (if you get one at all) will contain the words "National Age Card", "just" and "get".

BTW, were most of the U18's girls by any chance?

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I once got refused with my driving licence, it wouldn't bother me if not for the fact that I was 21 at the time. The bouncer in question then let me in when the owner told him to as he knew me and vouched for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by oneweb

BTW, were most of the U18's girls by any chance?

Ya but they were very young looking, there was 5 of us in the group that night 3 of us were over 21 and have drving licence to prove it the other 2 were 18 but the bouncer only asked one of them and then wouldn't accept his driving licence.

Advertisement