Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV - leaking email addresses???

Options
  • 18-07-2003 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

well, since signing up with utvip/xl my dad has started getting substantial ammounts of spam delivered to the email address he used to sign up with.
    before that he got maybe 2 a week, now he's getting 10+ a day...
    he hasn't signed up with anything else for the last 2 weeks & the spam started the day after we made the changeover...
    is it possible that this is due to utv in any way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting....I've noticed the amount of spam has jumped in recent months but I put that down to the fact that junk mail has reached epidemic proportions. I'm going to keep an eye on which account the mail is posted to for the next few days....

edit> Just browsed my trash in the mail programme and its a mixed bag of receiving addys so I can't point the finger at utv. Spam is out of control. :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by tman

he hasn't signed up with anything else for the last 2 weeks & the spam started the day after we made the changeover...
    is it possible that this is due to utv in any way?
    Not a chance of even a deliberate sharing of your email address making it to the spammers lists that quickly. These lists take time to filter down and sell and forward.

Doubtless someone from UTV will make a quick post stressing that they don't pass on email addresses but even if they don't it's not realistic that this happened that quickly.

(edit: changed "no" to "on". I really hate typos that make me look as if I never went to English class. Yes, I'm anal-retentive. Pooh (no pun intended) to the lot of you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah, i find it hard to believe that they're to blame myself, can't think of any other way to explain the increase in spam tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Utv seem to have more of their fair share of SPAM. I've never used the email address I signed up with anywhere and I get tons of SPAM daily through it.

You can turn on SPAM filtering though - http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=196&category=email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't think i've ever received spam to my utvinternet.com address, and I don't have spam filtering enabled on the webmail control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I have had a utv email account for over a year (I don't really use it though) and it gets no spam at all. I would consider it very unlikely for a compnay like utv to bother with selling email addresses. And spammers actually autogenerate addresses for known domains ...

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've had none through mine. Don't use it myself either.

If you signed up with something obvious, John Smith etc. its likely you would get targeted by autogenerated spam anyway. Best to use something like 3c5vc94n etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I've never once recieved any spam mail to any of my accounts - but again, I've never used obvious addresses and most important I don't go throwing my address about. Don't forget spammers have bots trawling the net pulling email addresses out of weblinks.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do other than track down the 40 guys responsible for 90% of spam in Boca Raton, and cut their goolies off, threaten to kill their dog and tell them never to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b

Ultimately there's nothing you can do other than track down the 40 guys responsible for 90% of spam in Boca Raton, and cut their goolies off, threaten to kill their dog and tell them never to do it again.

Did you read Doors in the Sunday Times today too? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

well my dads email addy is his first name followed by 2 numbers @eircom.net
    my eircom.net hasn't recieved any spam in the last 5 months...
    so that kind of rules out the autogenerate one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

tman, by any chance did your dad try to unsubscribe to one of the spam mails? if he did it's the worst possable thing to do! did that once with another account as a test, spam mail trippled in 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by tman
    well my dads email addy is his first name followed by 2 numbers @eircom.net
    my eircom.net hasn't recieved any spam in the last 5 months...
    so that kind of rules out the autogenerate one

Name(number)@whatever would be perfect for autogeneration.

Dave01@whatever
    Dave02@whatever
    Dave02@whatever

Thats one of the first patterns you'd use. Just blind luck that the error com one hasn't been hit. Assuming his first name isn't something like "rdtwfss345dfs$$^$"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Doubtless someone from UTV will make a quick post stressing that they don't pass no email addresses but even if they don't it's not realistic that this happened that quickly
    We do not pass on customers email addresses.

Advertisement