Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff For Man U!

• 18-07-2003 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

After reading the back page of the Irish Mirror today, I was quiet shocked to see a report saying that Duff wants to move to Manchester, he's apparently stalling the Chelsea deal in hope of Fergie swooping him up. Apparently he's settled down in Lancanster, and is'nt ready for London Life. It's even rumoured that he will go to Man U for less than Chelsea are offering him a week!

Any truth in this, or is it just a load of Bullplop to get people to buy the paper

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

id say there is some truth behind this alright...

if i was in duff's position i wouldn't exactly want to go to chelsea.. man utd are a far bigger club and he has a better chance of playing more champs league football over the next few seasons at man utd than at chelsea...

ronaldinho seems to be taking ages to sort out... id say in the next few days if he doesnt sort out his contract with utd, they will put in an offer for duff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    ...he has a better chance of playing more champs league football over the next few seasons at man utd than at chelsea...

But with Roman after taking the reigns at Chelsea, surely they have a better chance than they did before at getting further in the Champions League

thats a possibility....

but look at clubs over the past 10 years who have thrown big money away on players to try and build a team... i just doesnt work... they may be buying good players.. but that doesnt make a good team...

it has happened to newcastle to a certain extent, leeds are the latest example, blackburn were relegated a season or two after winning the premiership... even the italian clubs have stopped this insane purchasing of big players, barca are another example...

it comes to a point were the big players think they are bigger than the club and the sh1t hits the fan...

i just dont think that blowing money on a load of big names will solve chelseas problems..

i am an evertonian... we've gone thru a rough time over the past 3 or 4 years... they spent about 1million in total last season and look how they did... about 6 points away from europe...

im actually glad that they dont have the same amount of money as chelsea at the moment because they are building from the ground up... a bit more money would be nice... but throwing money at a problem rarely ever solves it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would prefer to see Duff at UTD than Ronnie ,ronnie seems to be a muppet who hasnt done enough imo to convinve me he can play week in week out for Man u.

Duff would be perfect for Man utd if they didnt have Giggs.
    So Buy duff and sell Giggs would make sense to me and let Ronnie go to Barca.

We need more Irish players in CL every season this year we have possibly 2.
    O Shea
    O Brien (who i doubt will play )

We need more.

kdjac

i heard somewhere that ronnydinyoyo wanted a helicopter on standby so he could go and party in london whenever he wanted to... now that is taking the p1ss i think.... thats one of the things holding up his contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Hopefully this is true, but I think if they get Ronaldinho that'll be the last buy of the summer for them. But still you never know and even if he doesn't go to Utd doesn't mean he won't be going to a bad team. And BTW I don't Chelsea are getting players and expecting things to happen as quickly as with Blackburn a few years back. They seem to be building a team of the future - Johnson, Duff, Geremi and Bridge(probably) are all young players and not exactly the biggest names in football. And aswell Shay Given will be playing in the CL next season aswell as Keane.

, Duff, Geremi and Bridge(probably) are all young players and not exactly the biggest names in football

they are all good buys for the future... i was talking about all the other players they have tried to buy...davids, vieri, veron etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Duff would be perfect for Man utd if they didnt have Giggs.
    So Buy duff and sell Giggs would make sense to me and let Ronnie go to Barca.

Duff would be perfect with giggs. We dont want to buy one player to replace another. We want to buy players so we have backups all the time.

And lets not forget guys, we need a centre back which i imagine we will DEFINITELY be getting...

I still dont know if i liek this idea of selling Veron for 14mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

you read it on the Mirror? its gotta be true than LOL. they havent came yet and according to Devlin there is nulikely to be another bid, and anyway what would would Duff think when he finds out that Ronald McDonald was first choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Originally posted by [JcCM]Murderer
    Irish Mirror

Hahaha, good one

• Advertisement

According to Sky having a medical at Bridge today.:) Devlin didn't confirm this but didn't deny it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Now I read it in the Times. He did a medical, indicating he is close to signing for Chelsea, yet he is still stalling the deal. I actually think Man U will steal him from us!

Utd are not interested its either join CFC or stay at Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I actually think Man U will steal him from us!

Hopefully so ...

But then again he might not, seeing as United wouldn't sign him as a kid, because he was too small & they didn't think he'd make the grade :confused::confused:

They need a replacement for Beckham I could have sworn Duff was left footed.:)
    its Dyer who they are now after.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by smuckers
    They need a replacement for Beckham I could have sworn Duff was left footed.:)
    its Dyer who they are now after.
    I hope that isn't true. I don't rate him at all and he is very injury prone.

I think Dyer is predictable, but it wil be someone but not Duff as Kenyon has ruled themselves out.

Hey Lads i got the truth on the Duff situation . I know most of the players at BLackburn and i will be involved in the BLackburn V Bray match on august the 6th . We were speaking to the Bray manager who is also Damiens Agent . He told us that they are holding out for Man U . Duff himself does not want to leave Blackburn but he is being pressurised by his agents . Chelsea is still on the cards but they are not sure . The only pul there is the champions league and thats all Damien wants . In his own mind he is very happy at Blackburn .

Dont believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

I wuldnt be surprised if Duff wanted Man U to come get him but as it seems that Kenyon is terrified of actually signing anybody looks like he'll be at Chelsea.

I dont know why but I'd much prefer him to stay at Blackburn then go to Chelsea.I can't really put any hint of logic behind it at all either.Every morning because i'm dreading seeing the words "Duff signs 5 year Chelsea deal". I'm not entirely sure why either, the best explanation i can give is......its Chelsea ffs.

• Advertisement

1 thing that has really gotten me confused about the whole Ronnie deal is the fact that he has signed for Barca & they aren't even in the Champions League ....

I thought that was why he wouldn't sign for Real Madrid [because he'd be left @ PSG for next season & they aren't in the Champions League]!!

Does any1 else think that he was full of sh1t!!

I'd say that if Ronnie wanted to sign for United, he would have done it long before now!!

Its all about money Phat. Thats all he and his brother were after.

Didnt he turn down Champions league football when he came over from Gremio to sign for PSG aswell?

Probably just had money thrown at him at Barcelona - they desperately needed to get someone big after all that Beckham crap. I didnt think they would be able to match Man U though,i guess Ronadinho's just a bit wierd i guess.

Originally posted by hoolio
    i guess Ronadinho's just a bit wierd i guess.
    And ugly.

Its all about money Phat. Thats all he and his brother were after.

Well if thats what it is...he should have come to Utd.

They had terms agreed for 100k a week.

He went to Barcelona cos of the fashion, the nightclubs...he wouldnt have to learn a different language as Portuguese and Spanish is VERY alike.

He suited himself and expects Real to come in for him if he shines when his contract is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

manc will be making no bid for duff :p

Good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

portugese and spanish is nothing alike actually.

Portugese i had described to me as a sort of gypsy language by a spanish speaker

no matter who Duff signs for , some day i am pretty sure he will sign for UTD .

• Advertisement

portugese and spanish is nothing alike actually. Portugese i had described to me as a sort of gypsy language by a spanish speaker

So that means there nothing alike does it? The fact is there both very similar although Spanish and Portuguese comprehensability retains quite a bit, but Portuguese-speakers understand Spanish better than Spanish-speakers understand Portuguese therefore Ronaldinho knowing Portuguese would make it easier for him to understand Spanish however Catalan Spanish may be slightly more difficult to understand but nothing major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by Dre as in Dray
    no matter who Duff signs for , some day i am pretty sure he will sign for UTD .

chelsea will NEVER sell him to another premiership rival, unless the russian lad looses all his money in the near future!

So that means there nothing alike does it? The fact is there both very similar although Spanish and Portuguese comprehensability retains quite a bit, but Portuguese-speakers understand Spanish better than Spanish-speakers understand Portuguese therefore Ronaldinho knowing Portuguese would make it easier for him to understand Spanish however Catalan Spanish may be slightly more difficult to understand but nothing major.

They are only as similar as english and maybe latin.And Ronaldinho speaks Brazilian Portugese which is obviously a variant of regular Portugese.So your theory is that he signed for Barcelona becuase he speaks a variant of a language that is slightly similar to a language of which he will have to learn a variant? Riiiight!

chelsea will NEVER sell him to another premiership rival, unless the russian lad looses all his money in the near future!

How long is Duff's contract with them? And with the wages they are going to have to pay they will have to rely on handouts for the owner and how long is he going to be willing to pour money into a black hole?Duff might be the next Harry Kewell in more ways then one.

From today's Mirror

Damien Duff will earn a staggering £20 million from his move to Chelsea .... The Republic of Ireland star's five-year deal is worth £70,000 a week .... And there are other signing-on extras in the region of £1.5 million that made the cash hard to resist

I say fair play to the lad & wish him luck with Chelsea!!

He has to one of the most level headed players the game has ever seen & it is definately going to come back & haunt United .... What the fcuk is Kenyon playing @ .... He said the best opportunity Utd had to sign him was last year when his contract was up!! The guy is insane ....

[Sarcasm] Come back Martin Edwards, all is forgiven [/Sarcasm] :D

1 final thing .... Why if Utd were willing to bid in the £20 mills for Ronnie [who can be inconsistent & lazy] were they not willing to bid £17.5 mill for a player like Duff who plays consistently well & never stops trying??

Baffled isn't the word!! :confused:

I'm getting a head-ache now from all this headscratching & brow furrowing!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

about time duff signed for a club it was going on to long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

According to the Guardian article about Dyer being available for £25M today, Man Utd have cash flow problems which is why they're unable to splash the cash this summer.

The reason Ronaldinho isn't a Man Utd player is because they refused to pay £15M first day (£12M to PSG and £3M to Canal+ : Canal+ owned 20% of the player). Instead they decided to haggle which opened the door for Real Madrid (who had no intention of signing the player) to 'hijack' the deal.

Also Man Utd never negotiated personal terms with Ronaldinho, they dealt with his brother who is a muppet - he's worse than Anelka's brothers. Kenyon/Ferguson offered him a 20% cut of a future deal as a sweetner - this is where the tapping up story came from. Barca refused to deal with the brother because he was pushing Ronaldinho to move to Man Utd. They spoke directly to Ronaldinho when PSG accepted their bid - no mention of helicopters or 20% cuts of future deals.

Moral of the saga : conduct transfer deals in the media at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

As a Pool fan I'm fairly delighted Ronnie and Duffer didn't sign for Man U ;) but it begs the question, what the hell is going on at Old Trafford ? Two years ago (even one perhaps) there's no way Man U would have missed out on signing at least one top class player if they really wanted him, and had the cash to spend.

So to sum up...hehehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Ferguson's handling of Stam and more recently Beckham could be a factor. It's now common knowledge that he's a bit of a loon at times and modern star players are a bit wary.

Stam wrote a book parading the fact Ferguson poached him. Not the way to go for a player...
    They are only as similar as english and maybe latin.And Ronaldinho speaks Brazilian Portugese which is obviously a variant of regular Portugese.So your theory is that he signed for Barcelona becuase he speaks a variant of a language that is slightly similar to a language of which he will have to learn a variant? Riiiight!

There similar and thats that. Its easier for him to learn their language than him to learn English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Apparently Ronnie always preferred a move to Spain. He was quoted saying yesterday that he has "nothing to prove to the English". I thought it was quite funny :) Bet Seaman is happy he won't be in the PL :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement