Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 News

Options
  • 18-07-2003 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

i saw a brief piece in today's tv3 news about an EU report on recommendations and guidelines for Tattooists and piercers to abide by, and i was wondering what people think about attempts to regulate the industry in this country?

from my point of view as a customer, i can see it as a good thing, as i would be assured that the studio would be clean and hygenic etc (although simple common sense could tell me that- but you have to know what to look out for), but what about piercers and tattooists? how would that affect your businesses, negatively or positively, if at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

jaysus!!! What shops use guns on people?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Piercing shops.My dumbass mate got his eyebrow pierced in a jewllers with a piercing gun.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by beardedchicken
    i saw a brief piece in today's tv3 news about an EU report on recommendations and guidelines for Tattooists and piercers to abide by, and i was wondering what people think about attempts to regulate the industry in this country?

from my point of view as a customer, i can see it as a good thing, as i would be assured that the studio would be clean and hygenic etc (although simple common sense could tell me that- but you have to know what to look out for), but what about piercers and tattooists? how would that affect your businesses, negatively or positively, if at all?

Most tattooists and piercers WANT regulation of the industry.What most people dont know is that anyone can open a tattoo/piercing studio with absolutely no training,no hygene skills and no common sense.
    All you need is a few quid to set you up and a place to carry your business from.
    Good shops usually ask the local health board for a hygene inspection(And post the results on the wall in their studio)although this statement means absolutely nothing and is not legally binding.Also good shops will have their steam autoclaver serviced every year and again should post the results on their shop wall.
    As a regular customer of a tattoist and close friend of one personally I think that if the industry was regulated the services would become more mainstream and take tattooing and piercing out of the mainly underground scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    personally I think that if the industry was regulated the services would become more mainstream and take tattooing and piercing out of the mainly underground scene.

...and would you view that as a positive or negative development??

i'm not being smart-assed, i'm genuinely interested, in fact that's what i suspected many people's major fear would be- that something that had been an almost subversive act, like a statement of self, and an expression of control over one's body, which emanated from an underground scene, would become so main-stream that it would lose its appeal!

then again, that really brings up the question of why do people get tattooed or pierced? if it's for purely aesthetic reasons, then i suppose even if it became mainstream it wouldn't be any less appealing, but if it's simply rebellion, it might become less appealing if "conformists" or even parents (heven forbid!!) were covered in tats and holes!

perhaps this would be an interesting area of discussion- the deeper motivations behind body modifications.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I would definatley approve of this!. Like we will know if it is safe to get a tatoo from this place or not if it has passed the test and if its the only way to protect the public health, safety, and welfare by setting standards, registering applicants, and regulating registered tattooists and their practices then so be it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

...and would you view that as a positive or negative development??

i'm not being smart-assed, i'm genuinely interested, in fact that's what i suspected many people's major fear would be- that something that had been an almost subversive act, like a statement of self, and an expression of control over one's body, which emanated from an underground scene, would become so main-stream that it would lose its appeal!

then again, that really brings up the question of why do people get tattooed or pierced? if it's for purely aesthetic reasons, then i suppose even if it became mainstream it wouldn't be any less appealing, but if it's simply rebellion, it might become less appealing if "conformists" or even parents (heven forbid!!) were covered in tats and holes!

perhaps this would be an interesting area of discussion- the deeper motivations behind body modifications.......

Personally I think it would be excellent for the industry.Tattooing is no longer a subversive art,everyone from 16 year old kids to the top men in Irelands banking and finance sectors are tattooed and /or pierced.
    Heres an example for you.One of my mates best customers is a top man in one of Irelands largest banks.He comes into the shop for work after hours and my mate stays open for him up till 10.00pm so that he can get his work done.He has multiple piercings and is tattooed everywhere---full back design,both legs,full sleeve on one arm.As for piercings---both nipples,ampallang and Prince albert.Apparently its his way of escaping the pressure of such a high powered position.And the strange thing is that this guy is 45 and only started getting inked when he was 38.
    And taking the art out of the underground HAS to be good purely on health grounds.
    As for parents being tattooed etc,the next generation of kids growing up ARE going to have tattooed and pierced parents.Both my wife and I are pierced and extensively tattooed and our 5 year old thinks its"cool".
    And Im also in a senior management position where my boss is quite understanding as long as Im covered up he has no problem with tattoos and piercings.
    We`ll start a new thread on this subject and see what kind of answers we get.
    Richie.

Advertisement