Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource PAP/CHAP

• 19-07-2003 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Subject: [netsource.ie #2220] Authentication

Hi,

The decision to use PAP over CHAP was one that was made before the DSL service came
    in to being.

Obviously, the fact that the Eircom part of the DSL authentication mechanism uses CHAP
    requires the modem to support both and to be able to switch between them.

We have recognised the fact that for a small number of users with specific types of
    equipment, this does not happen in the way that it should. In some cases the
    equipment does not support PAP at all, and in others, it is unable to switch from PAP to
    CHAP (although vice versa works)

As a solution, we have implemented CHAP authentication, and would suggest that if
    your equipment does not support PAP, or switching between the two, that it be set to
    use the CHAP protocol.

Kind Regards,

Colm
    --
    Colm Fay

NETSOURCE
    t: +353 1 433 6000
    f: +353 1 433 6075

I take it this means that they now use CHAP instead of PAP?
    ie: (me) ->> (ericom equipment @ exchange [chap]) ->> (netsource servers[chap]) ???
    And that the Solwise SAR715 which I mailed back to them on Wed. would actually have worked?

We now have a D-Link 504 and we've had to leave it sit, unpowered, for about 5 minutes because it seems to have overheated and cut-out. it's a piece of piss. The casing is the most obvious design flaw. Made of plastic first of all (poor heat conduction properties), and second only has vent holes on the sides and along the bottom. None on the top where they'd be best used.
    Shoddy shoddy design for which we paid through the nose for €162 inc del, VAT and CC Surcharge(why?) from www.elara.ie

I am very pissed off at the moment :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

you need to put something below the router, I put a metal candle holder underneath so that air can get into the holes at the bottom. My router is in with a hot boiler but the router never gets hot.

router.jpg

I know they can get really hot as I've seen them in different sites nearly melting

Advertisement