Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer not responding

Options
  • 19-07-2003 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭

I'm having quite an annoying problem with IE6. It keeps freezing every so often. It doesn't happen on particular sites. There's no error message. The screen goes static and the cursor changes to an hourglass. I have to close the window and then I get the message that "IE isn't responding" and the option to click "End Now" or "Cancel". End Now closes all IE windows (even the ones not frozen). Cancel just brings me back to the frozen browser.

The problem happens quite frequently and once it starts I can't surf more than 2 or 3 pages without it freezing again (I have to reboot for it to sort itself out, and even then the same thing may happen a while later)

I downloaded various IE updates, service packs and Windows updates. I even downloaded Java as someone told me it fixed their problems - but not mine :(

The only "solution" I can think of is to get Netscape or Mozilla. I had to get Netscape towards the end of my last computer because of a similar problem.

Can anybody think of another solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

today I've started getting error messages. it seems to say something about Java but when I went to the Java website I was told I had the latest version.

click here to see some screenshots of the errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Under Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level, disable javascript. It won't solve your problem, but it might help you determine if javascript is causing the freezing as well as the error messages.

btw, if you do get it fixed, get Mozilla anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hmmm....

Is it XP pro or XP home?

From my experience, failures and strange occurences in IE are usually indicative of an overall impending system failure, because IE and explorer are so tied together.

Try uninstalling IE and and starting from scratch. Do the usual, defrag scandisk etc.

You could also deactivate JavaScript, and that's seems to be causing some of the hassle in the error msgs you have there.

Personally, I'd say go install Mozilla or Opera. IMO they're far better than IE anyway.

:)

thanks for the replys.

it's XP home.

What should I do regarding the "impending system failure"?
    :eek:

I've disabled Javascript, but I wont know if that's the problem until I get the error (or not) again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    thanks for the replys.

it's XP home.

What should I do regarding the "impending system failure"?
    :eek:

Heh, don't worry. It was only with 98 that I'd notice that kind of thing. I've haven't used XP home, so I don't know what it's like on the stability front.

I wouldn't worry. If it seems to be working fine with Javascript disabled, then I needn't have said anything .:)

• Advertisement

will I not need Javascript at some stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Well even when I was using iexplore, I would always turn it off. It's a sad fact, but most of the time the only thing javascript is used for is pop-up ads. You will notice at some stage that you click on a button on some page and nothing happens. Then you re-enable javascript while you're using that site.

No idea how you'd fix it if it is javascript that is causing the problem, but seamus's suggestion at reinstalling iexplore is a logical first step. But I reckon your're better off without it :)

it doesn't seem to have fixed anything....

I tried the uninstall solution on my WinME system a while ago and it buggered it up totally. is there a safe way to uninstall/reinstall? I have no 'phone support like I did with my last machine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 paris

I had a similar problem recently and solved it by deleting my temporary files in Tools|Internet Options. Not sure if that will be of any help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

In my experience when u start getting explorer errors then this may well be the sign of a virus

• Advertisement
Advertisement