Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practical

Options
  • 19-07-2003 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

i have my leaving next summer and i was wondering what type of music should i play for my practical, i can play guitar but i cant play classical, would "one" by Metllica be a good one, i could get a band to back me up. What else should i pick i am at a loss.
    Thx

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I never did Music in school so I don't know the exact criteria for it but I don't think One would be good. The verse is far too simplistic. You might be better off trying to learn some Steve Vai or Joe Satriani. Very musically complex but you have a year to learn. You should think about learning some songs that contain different techniques beyond simple clean verses and crushing distorted choruses. Have a listen to the intro to Black Star by Yngwie Malmsteen. Very nice neo-classical piece, not particularly difficult but impressive all the same.

Above all, choose a song that you like and are sure you can play flawlessly in front of random people. Maybe even try and get a couple of gigs under your belt to get your confidence up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Its not that i lack confidence i have giged and played in front of many people. Im not a big fan of vai/satriani/yngwie, maybe i should be but i always felt there was something not very musical about them but ill give black star a shot.
    thx

Advertisement