Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to play

Options
  • 19-07-2003 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right im trying this game out and it dose look good . but where do u play and at what connection r u playing at i seem to only get a good ping (90) when i use isdn 128 . but im almost sure its down to the server .

so my question where do u play ? i need to find a good server to play on so i get to know how to play the game it looks good .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by elexes
    right im trying this game out and it dose look good . but where do u play and at what connection r u playing at i seem to only get a good ping (90) when i use isdn 128 . but im almost sure its down to the server .
    so my question where do u play ? i need to find a good server to play on so i get to know how to play the game it looks good .
    hi,

use the ingame browser and then sort the results in ping-time order.

Back to the times I had ISDN my pings where the same (around 90ms never better). Some gamers have a very low ping with ISDN, so I think it is down to your connection with eircom (mine was very slow).
    The 64 connection is ok with Battlefield, you don't need the channel bundling. Try to set your connection settings in the game to 56k. this can lower you ping times (connection box in the in-game browser).

Normally: the fastest servers for the irish gamers are located in the uk (EAUK, Jolt, Boomtown etc.). But you can try to ping some servers (for example: www.jolt.co.uk). When your results are lower than the result for jolt in the game than you have a technical problem.
    And I wouldn't play on a server with a ping higher than 150ms.... otherwise you won't have much fun.

I would propose that you fist play _a_lot_ in single player mode. so you get to know the maps, vehicles and weapons.
    I can be very frustrating when you join a server game and get killed every three seconds. Most of the gamers have no mercy with newbies ;)

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Id advise you stay WELL clear of EAUK, muppet land doesnt even begin to describe it. However I find jolt isnt too bad, can get some decent games on it, but Blueyonder seem to be the best for a game of BF out of the main UK host's.
    And if your using ISDN, set your rates to 56k, unless you are using 128k ISDN.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I ping most Euro servers between 40-90 constant on single channel isdn set to 56k ingame and in All seeing eye.
    There was an Irish server[Jarhedz] running Desert combat [mod for BF] but was then on the new Battle of Britain map 24/7.
    This server is down at the moment but i hear its been worked on .
    Our Day of Defeat clan server is a Jarhedz server and pings are excellent.
    Heres the ip but as i said its down for a bit :(

212.17.43.44:14567

On the subject of EAUK muppetry ,yes its very true but some have friendly fire option turned off so team mates cannot kill you.
    Ive just come from a 64 player EAUK server [FF off] and had mightly craic.
    Tis gr8 to see muppets try to team kill you but they cant,not as realistic as a good Clan server with FF on but not many clan servers can host 64 players let alone the nightmare ADMIN would be with 64 players.My pings stay the same in 64player servers as 20 or 32 player ones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

Yeah, I'd agree with muppets on EA UK: I had some bad first experiences on their servers alright. 's a great game though, try out on smaller servers first (16 - 32 player servers), you won't get killed as quick, and may even stand a chance of getting ride in a plane :)

There is an irish server, kerry combat, but I'm not sure when people play on it, it was empty when I checked.

BTW the key to deploy the 'chute is 9......
    saved me a lot of irritation and anguish knowing that... why the hell isn't it in the manual????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thx for the info ill keep a eye out for the jarhedz server reappearing and the forms . want to play the dstorm mod . also thx for the resetting the rates to 56k it worked out classic now pinging around 90 to servers . im trying to figure out how to fly the planes propper but im screwed keep crashing . ( not constantly but i cant aim for crap in them )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

yeah same, im pretty sure you need a joystick to use them properly, until then im in the front seat of an apache :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Dont listen to them Joystick people, Keyboard and mouse always reigns supreme....... honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Dont listen to them Joystick people, Keyboard and mouse always reigns supreme....... honest :D
    and how do you control the engine revs without a throttle?

I doubt that you can fly and specially land a chopper without a propper throttle control....

And even to fly a plane I would say you need a throttle. With the keyboard you have to press forward, relase it, press it again...

Or do you fly full-speed all the time? If so you are an easy target, specially your turns are much to wide ;)

I would say the 20 Euros for a decent joystick (with throttle and rudder controls) is a good investment.

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye i got a joystick a week ago using the planes is now easier but i cant fecking kill anything in one :( just cant aim in the blasted things . and in dc im totaly screwed

anyways i guess ill learn ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I use to suck alot with the planes but i've learned to use them (with mouse WOW!)

the best for dogfighting is the nosecam view (inside view with just the crosshair). For two reasons:

1. U can bloody aim the guns alot easier cause when u have it aimed just right it tells u (a second cross appears around the original.)

2. The stunts and spins feel easier to pull off cause u cant actually see how close u are to killing urself. My friend says this makes things harder cause he keeps overpulling the plane in loop de loops and crashes. But i find that when i cant see how dangerously i'm flying i tend to fly better.

For Bombing the external view is widely considered best being able to judge the aim of the bomb. But i found wqith a bit of practise (use Battle of Britain) offline u learn how to judge bombing v.well. So far i can hit stationary targets head on using internal view. im getting better on moving targets...

The desert combat planes....well the jets i got the hang of xcept i dont have the new version so i have failed to practise in a while. The helicopterts i royaly suck at and thats the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I find Flying planes easy as hell, but then again thats all i do in BF, ever since i got the demo all i did in BF was fly planes and snipe, i suck at everything else but knowing how to pilot a plane is mad handy. In Market Garden I flew a B-17 Under the big bridge upside down the other day, took me a week to pull it off but twas worth it. oh yea and did u know in cockpit view if you hold shift and aim with the mouse u can look to sides of ur plane, pointless but looks kool if ur guns are on ur wings or while taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

of course you can fly and land the whoppers with a keyboard and mouse. you just have to become one with the tap.

only thing i cant do with keyboard/mouse is hover.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wot? u want to b an easy target?

Advertisement