Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to buy !

Options
  • 19-07-2003 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭

heyaz - im looking for a surround sound system to hook up to my dvd player AND PS2 , any1 reccomend any ?

i dont have loads of cash so hopefully i can pick somthing up fairly cheap - im told ps2 compatible ones are more pricey though !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

I know my brother got a lead to work his ps2 through either his scart on tv or amplifier.
    In which case one of the cheap ones in currys (Daewoo?) should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what you do is u buy surround sound speakers for you tv and use your PS2 and DVD player as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Of course you will need a surrond sound amp with that aswell....

John

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

so can anyone reccomend a kit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I'm presuming its for a bedroom setup or a small room?
    If you don't want to plump out for a seperate AV receiver than some of the low-end all in one packages would be your best bet..
    The Creative Inspire 5.1 system is pretty decent, and is grand for movies, optical input as well so you can connect the PS2 directly... theres a few versions of it though, so make sure you get the one with digital in :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

The obvious choice is the Logitech Z-680. They are €479 from Peats, City Centre, Dublin. They have to order them in for you which only takes two days. If you want to get them from Komplett they cost just under €400. I'm getting them from Peats though because I can go up and collect them from the shop. They are one of the best speakers you can buy for this price. They can connect to all your entertainment at once. It also connects to your
    pc. I'm not sure about this but I don't even think you need a 5.1 surround sound card. It has a built in decoder. Read about it at Logitech
    I can't wait for mine. I'm getting them next weekend but they will be arriving in the shop on Tuesday. I put a deposit of €100 on them. I can collect them whenever I want.

yea its just for my room so 480 yoyos is a lil out of my price rangE !!!! how much is the The Creative Inspire 5.1 system Kali ?

thanks for all the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

The cheapest you would get the creative ones for would be €300. our mad if you get them though because they are total crap. Read reviews on them all before you buy.

i dont need anything amazing - its just for watching the odd movie and playing a game every now and again ,

one of the creative ones on komplett is 200 but i think it might just be for PC

Originally posted by Adrian
    The cheapest you would get the creative ones for would be €300. our mad if you get them though because they are total crap. Read reviews on them all before you buy.

Thats very strange cos an issue of What Hi-Fi I have in front of me here has given them 5 stars and a "best budget buy". They're also highly regarded (as much as a budget item can be) on a number of audio websites I visit.

This is the exact system I'm refering to (with several dig-inputs.. not just 6 x 3.5mm jacks):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ULPT/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_3/026-3269159-4057232

But if thats out of your range then check out Lidls offers for 5.1 speaker packages (with decoder, but not for DTS)... around 200 euro, mate of mine has one obviously speakers are a bit ****ty at loud volumes but they're grand for small rooms (plus a small footprint).

• Advertisement

thanks a million kali ,do you know anywhere in ireland where i could get them ? they seem perfect and if they are under 300 euro ill go for them.... reply asap you sexy monster :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭redneck

any surround sound system with an optical input will work for a ps2

I got the creative inspire 5.1 digital 5700 for 330 euro from "PC world" , just watched the opening to "lord of the rings" and im very happy with them , super sound - now to play some games !

Good stuff.. the thing about them is that the speakers seem to be solid enough unlike a lot of the smaller packages, meaning although they have a low power output they'll actually be able to handle it without distortion from build issues with the speaker housing.

Wouldn't have went with PC World myself tho.. but the price doesnt seem too bad :)

I hate PC world... they usually overprice BUT they were on komplett for 300 and only 330 in pc world so not too bad ! plus coudlnt find them anywhere else and richer sounds in dublin has closed down !

Actually noticed them for 340 in Peats yesterday .. so not bad going.

OPfff peats are a pack of unhelpful n00bs. We sent a faulty power supply to be replaced that I have bought from them which packed in after 4 months. The repeatedly never called back and were most unhelpful. After a couple of weeks we eventually got it back working.

John

peats are usually quite helpfull and know what their talking aboot , Quite good prices too

No, no they are not..... I dislike them.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I've got a set of Logitech Z680s - advertised them in FS ages ago.

Were used for maybe 2/3 hours - simply too powerful for my PC & I've a pretty nifty home cinema setup already.

They're surplus to requirements, so I'm open to offers :)

They're still in the FS forum so do a search there & make me an offer.

Absolutely stonking set - THX certified :eek: The sub is awesome - rolls off at 36/37hz - not many "PC" subs can do that!!

TBH, they're really more suitable as dedicated home cinema speakers they're that powerful.

:)

• Advertisement

thanks kramer but I allready got a set

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

No worries Tusky ;)

Advertisement