Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel O'Flynn (FF) lauches SWRA Bantry BB

Options
  • 19-07-2003 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Speech at the launch of the Bantry Satellite Wireless Local Area Network, Deputy Noel O'Flynn (Fianna Fáil), Chairman, Joint Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources

Minister, Leas Cathaoirleach of the Regional Authority, Cathaoirleach of the Bantry Town Council, distinguished guests it is a privilege to attend the launch of the Bantry Satellite Wireless Local Area Network. The launch of Caherciveen Satellite Wireless Local Area Network and today the launch of the Bantry Satellite Local Area Network are major mile-stones in the great work that the South West Regional Authority is doing in bringing broadband to the South West Region.

As Chairman of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources it is my privilege to come to Bantry today to see, at first hand, the work that John McAleer has so proudly been telling our Committee about. The South West Region is very well served by people like John and his team because they have championed the development of the Cork - Kerry region and taken the lead by bringing broadband to the Region.

You may be aware that the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources is currently preparing a report on Broadband. Indeed we have just finished five full days of hearings, which included a presentation from John on the work that the South West Regional Authority has done. Being invited here today, John, makes the presentation you made to the Committee all the more relevant - it is like putting flesh on the bones. I am getting to see at first hand the importance of what it is you and your team are doing and having witnessed what can be done in the United States I, as a fellow Cork man, am proud to say that Bantry is now right up there with the best of the rest.

The South West Regional Authority and the team that work with John are to be praised - in the past we would open the window to shout out the good news or send out a town crier, today with the electronic media that is broadband and we tell the Nation and the World that Bantry is ready to do business and is serious about doing business. Well done to everyone associated with this project you deserved all the praise that you get.

I don't think that it is unreasonable for me to state that compared to many European Countries and regions, we in Ireland are falling behind in the rollout of broadband services. There is an argument that we are not being well served by the Telecommunications industry. I want to say that following five days of hearings I can only but conclude that there are many sides, many facets, to the diamond that is Broadband.

The delivery of Broadband must involve everyone, the Government, the Telecoms firms, the Internet Service Providers, the PC manufacturers, the Software developers. We must all work together in Partnership. It cannot be the sole responsibility of Government to make or underwrite any investment. It is not acceptable that the lack of broadband and indeed at times leased lines is a cause of considerable concern, especially to communities in places such as West Cork, where it is a precondition for almost all new commercial investment, to have the availability of bandwidth at reasonable prices.

The national interest has, in many cases, been frustrated because without adequate modern telecommunications infrastructures there is a barrier to growth and employment creation. The seriousness of this position cannot be allowed to continue and mechanisms must be found to ensure that the smaller towns throughout the country are in a position to offer broadband as a "core service". Broadband is the key to economic success. It is infrastructure development like no other. It is not the same as Rural Electrification. It is Rural Electrification, Free Secondary Education and the development of Regional Technical College structure all in one.

Broadband MUST be the new Utility. You flick a switch - you get light. You turn a tap - you get water. You turn on a PC - you get the Internet, Business and Government.

The key is how Customers (Communities such as Bantry and Cahirciveen) Business and Government all inter-react with each other.

Customers consume the services of Government; Customers consume the services of Business. Business and Government consume the services of each other. All three have to intersect, like the rings of the Olympic flag. Where the intersection takes place is where the greatest gain is to be made.

Minister Walsh can I tell you that Broadband was mentioned in the context of your Department recently when Brendan Touhy - a fellow Corkonian and the Secretary General of the Department of Communications, in his presentation to our Committee told us that Broadband is to the Economy what grass is to Agriculture.

Minister I know you will give every support to the work South West Regional Authority and to the work that my Committee is doing on its Report which we will publish next September. I hope we can show to Government just as we have seen here today a 'Road Map' for the future of Ireland. This Road Map will have a highway and that highway is called Broadband.

In conclusion I wish to express my thanks and appreciation to the South West Regional Authority, John McAleer and his team, I-Direct, the satellite provider, 3 Com the wireless system provider and all associated with the Bantry Satellite Wireless Local Area Network for the tremendous work you are doing, you are showing everyone in Ireland the way forward, keep up the good work.

Advertisement